Full List Custom ROMS For AT&T SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 Galaxy S2 (SII) CM7 vs. Cognition vs.

Search This thread

trae4nato

Dec 5, 2007
Full List Custom ROMS For AT&T SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 Galaxy S2 (SII) CM7 vs. Cognition vs.

I have provided a full list of compatible ROM for the U.S. version of the Samsung Galaxy S2 otherwise known as the AT&T SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 Galaxy S2 (SII). I have tried several ROM and given my opinion...you may disagree and that's fine.

I will keep this list updated and I've gone through these forms getting people's opinion. Tried to be as real as possible.

http://www.traemcneely.com/2011/10/...77-galaxy-s2-sii-cm7-vs-cognition-vs-unnamed/

Reactions: Steve6569

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
I have provided a full list of compatible ROM for the U.S. version of the Samsung Galaxy S2 otherwise known as the AT&T SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 Galaxy S2 (SII). I have tried several ROM and given my opinion...you may disagree and that's fine.

I will keep this list updated and I've gone through these forms getting people's opinion. Tried to be as real as possible.

http://www.traemcneely.com/2011/10/...77-galaxy-s2-sii-cm7-vs-cognition-vs-unnamed/

A ROM review/comparison should be in general, not development.

Reactions: Alucardis666

trae4nato

Dec 5, 2007
Can you move the thread for me then. I wouldn't mind if you moved it....that's cool with me. :)

dirtyballoonot

Oct 12, 2010

That was the most pointless "review" ever. Added absolutely nothing. You use CM7, you don't really use anything else, you don't even know what the differences are...Do a little homework before you write a comparision

xAnimal5

Oct 14, 2011
That was the most pointless "review" ever. Added absolutely nothing. You use CM7, you don't really use anything else, you don't even know what the differences are...Do a little homework before you write a comparision
I agree
If you haven't tried a ROM, Don't say anything about it. I personally have tried all the ROMs except for Perception and Cognition. CM7 MURDERS my battery and lacks basic features that I need everyday. UnNamed/Serendipity 8 both give good battery life, fast speeds, and essential features for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using xda premium

Blaze9

Jun 11, 2010
I agree
If you haven't tried a ROM, Don't say anything about it. I personally have tried all the ROMs except for Perception and Cognition. CM7 MURDERS my battery and lacks basic features that I need everyday. UnNamed/Serendipity 8 both give good battery life, fast speeds, and essential features for me.

I guess that, those issues might just be your phone. I'm running CM7 and I get much better battery using that than I do on a debloated stock rom. What are the other "essential" things that don't work? The only essential thing that is somewhat of an annoyance is the bluetooth. CM7 won't connect if the phone is in deep sleep. If the screen is on it will connect. Not a big deal.

xAnimal5

Oct 14, 2011
I guess that, those issues might just be your phone. I'm running CM7 and I get much better battery using that than I do on a debloated stock rom. What are the other "essential" things that don't work? The only essential thing that is somewhat of an annoyance is the bluetooth. CM7 won't connect if the phone is in deep sleep. If the screen is on it will connect. Not a big deal.

I get 12 hours of Med usage on UnNamed. I get 3.5 hours on CM7. On BBS, the majority of the time was spent in deep sleep, yet the battery still drained like crazy. I dislike the feel of the generic apps in CM7, the camera app is super fuzzy, the Bluetooth, and lack of KIES support to restore contacts and notes.

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
I didn't even realize BBS reported deep sleep stats... You sure you don't mean CPUSpy?

I've learned at this point not to trust BBS. At this point, BBS is only useful for identifying userland wakelocks on ROMs that hide userland wakelock details from the kernel. (I9100 ROMs, not sure about CM7 - I777-derived ROMs report userland wakelocks individually to the kernel instead of lumping them under PowerManagerService.) As an example, BBS completely fails to report kernel wakelocks.

It has always been my experience that CM7 will beat nearly any Samsung-derived ROM except for the most aggressively debloated ones (such as Serendipity VII on Infuse - S7 was slightly better than CM7, but not by much.)

So far, 90% of the time if a user reports excessive drain, either they installed a bad app, or they diddled with attempting to calibrate their battery, which on our devices does nothing except cause the fuel gauge to briefly "blip" below the alarm threshold on boot, causing a permanent wakelock on kernels without this fix:
https://github.com/Entropy512/linux_kernel_sgh-i777/commit/fc9eb85807302583259e27013ed184a43107bb67

Which reminds me, I need to pull request that to atinm/codeworkx and company.

Edit: FYI, CPUSpy stats are bogus right after boot. Gotta reset the timers after you've booted to get good info.

Last edited:
CyanogenMod 7.1 rom

After testing and comparing all these custom roms found in XDA for SGS2 i777
this is what I found after extensively testing the CyanogenMod 7.1 rom.

If you want to retain all the features of the camera's interface and video part of the
phone it's best to stay away from CM7 until the DEVS finally fix it.

I have been testing CM7 ever since I first purchased my Samsung Captivate then with
Samsung i997 Infuse and now with my new SGS2 i777 phone.

GTG's UnNamed v1.04 custom rom is by far a lot better than the CM7 rom & after much
extensive testing and comparing I have found the UnNamed rom to be the best currently
available custom rom for our phones.

Unlike the CM7 rom the UnNamed rom achieves the full & steady 30fps video recording
according to the specifications of the phone.

The user interface of the UnNamed rom's camera interface is also cosmetically speaking
by far the very best looking currently available for our phones at this time.
It does not have any missing features or user settings like CM7 currently has.

CM7 is not ready for prime time yet especially if video recording and camera user interface
(UI) are things which are important to you.
There are many missing features and settings in CM7's camera user interface as well as
not being able to auto-focus continuously during video recordings.

CM7 still cannot achieve the full continuous & steady 30fps while recording video.
So home made recordings when played back will not be super smooth and will not
achieve the video standards according to the specification of the phone.

This is strictly my personal opinion so take it for what it's worth. (most likely less than 2 cents) :)

But it's up to you guys, YOU decide !!!
If you hardly ever use the camera at all or just don't care about it then CM7 is fine.
(personally I use my camera a lot and video recording is very important to me.)
smile.gif

Last edited:

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
If video recording is important to you, you shouldn't be using the phone's camera at all.

Compared to even the most basic Canon point-and-shoot, the camera in any cell phone is a crappy toy.

re: camera

If video recording is important to you, you shouldn't be using the phone's camera at all.

Compared to even the most basic Canon point-and-shoot, the camera in any cell phone is a crappy toy.

I know that, I never claimed that our phones were anywhere near up to par
with something even as basic as a Canon Point and Shoot.

However to get the MOST out of our phones capabilities for those of us who do
care about photo and video quality but do not want to walk or drive around with
a seperate camera in our pockets all the time then this phone really is the next
best thing. The camera part of our phone even rivals the Nokia N8's camera.

So why cripple a $500-$600 camera phone with sub-par firmware by choosing
any firmware which degrades any part of our phones especially the camera? :)
(that's unless as I have stated in my previous post that you don't care about the camera)

Last edited:

GTTG_Atomik

May 9, 2006
I've tried CM7, Cognition X2, UnNamed, Perception, and Serendipity 8. CM7 I used for a couple of days but was just missing too many features for me. Cognition X2 was very good and stable, but the expanded power options were not there. UnNamed was a favorite and unused that the longest. Perception, I lost TouchWiz, and the new version I think is pretty slick. I am currently running Serendipity 8, and I really like the minimalistic approach. This ROM intrigued me since it has Display Mode. UnNamed has that now too so I may go back to it. Battery life on UnNamed seemed to be the best for me. Although others will probably say Serendipity 8 will provide better battery as it takes out the most bloatware.

So I'm for either UnNamed or Serendipity 8. Can't really go wrong with either. Seems to be very similar to each other.

Reactions: anikiup

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CyanogenMod 7.1 rom

After testing and comparing all these custom roms found in XDA for SGS2 i777
    this is what I found after extensively testing the CyanogenMod 7.1 rom.

If you want to retain all the features of the camera's interface and video part of the
    phone it's best to stay away from CM7 until the DEVS finally fix it.

I have been testing CM7 ever since I first purchased my Samsung Captivate then with
    Samsung i997 Infuse and now with my new SGS2 i777 phone.

GTG's UnNamed v1.04 custom rom is by far a lot better than the CM7 rom & after much
    extensive testing and comparing I have found the UnNamed rom to be the best currently
    available custom rom for our phones.

Unlike the CM7 rom the UnNamed rom achieves the full & steady 30fps video recording
    according to the specifications of the phone.

The user interface of the UnNamed rom's camera interface is also cosmetically speaking
    by far the very best looking currently available for our phones at this time.
    It does not have any missing features or user settings like CM7 currently has.

CM7 is not ready for prime time yet especially if video recording and camera user interface
    (UI) are things which are important to you.
    There are many missing features and settings in CM7's camera user interface as well as
    not being able to auto-focus continuously during video recordings.

CM7 still cannot achieve the full continuous & steady 30fps while recording video.
    So home made recordings when played back will not be super smooth and will not
    achieve the video standards according to the specification of the phone.

This is strictly my personal opinion so take it for what it's worth. (most likely less than 2 cents) :)

But it's up to you guys, YOU decide !!!
    If you hardly ever use the camera at all or just don't care about it then CM7 is fine.
    (personally I use my camera a lot and video recording is very important to me.)
    smile.gif

A ROM review/comparison should be in general, not development.
    I've tried CM7, Cognition X2, UnNamed, Perception, and Serendipity 8. CM7 I used for a couple of days but was just missing too many features for me. Cognition X2 was very good and stable, but the expanded power options were not there. UnNamed was a favorite and unused that the longest. Perception, I lost TouchWiz, and the new version I think is pretty slick. I am currently running Serendipity 8, and I really like the minimalistic approach. This ROM intrigued me since it has Display Mode. UnNamed has that now too so I may go back to it. Battery life on UnNamed seemed to be the best for me. Although others will probably say Serendipity 8 will provide better battery as it takes out the most bloatware.

So I'm for either UnNamed or Serendipity 8. Can't really go wrong with either. Seems to be very similar to each other.