Advantages updating to ICS from GB?

Search This thread

Cygnuss

Aug 31, 2007
Lisboa
I am on GB 2.3.7 MIUI, i've seen ICS is out 4.03 and 4.04 but i really dont like the GUI in it, maybe i am used to GB.

I see lots of people complaining on battery and speed of the rom, what are the benefits of ICS compared to GB in real world experience?

danielsf

Oct 29, 2010
Hull
I have been running ICS for a couple of months now and I went back to gingerbread for a couple of days last week to see if I noticed any difference. I have to say ICS is a lot smoother with everything, and a lot faster say with rendering a web page than gingerbread was. I also just couldn't believe how basic and childish gingerbread looked. I will admit the new ICS scrolling mechanism got some getting used it but now I actually prefer it over gingerbread scrolling. Overall I feel that ICS is considerably faster, especially with web browsing, and a huge amount smoother thanks to it's hardware acceleration. I would strongly recommend that you move to ICS, it really does feel like I have a new phone especially running cm9. I hope this helps you :)

JJEgan

Oct 24, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Yet apart from the stock browser i feel ICS is a childish blue upgrade to GB and i dont actually find it or any of the ICS custom roms faster or anything and certainly no improvement over my current set-up .

jje

bala_gamer

Recognized Contributor
Mar 29, 2011
Madurai-Chennai
Xiaomi 13
Xiaomi 13 Pro
Yet apart from the stock browser i feel ICS is a childish blue upgrade to GB and i dont actually find it or any of the ICS custom roms faster or anything and certainly no improvement over my current set-up .

jje

You have to wait for a few more weeks, you do know that it is a major upgrade and not like froyo to gb . So it does take time to optimize and stabilize the roms .

#*posted on the move *#

JJEgan

Oct 24, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
You have to wait for a few more weeks, you do know that it is a major upgrade and not like froyo to gb . So it does take time to optimize and stabilize the roms .

#*posted on the move *#

Essential that is usually true of all firmware but i am not impressed with Samsung's version of ICS so far .
What is under the bonnet may be fine but the bodywork is as ugly as hell .
It all boils down to will i get any advantage with an update answer is so far no and i have tested every version released only to go back each time .Of course when JKay etc is up and running i may look again .

jje

Reactions: B3311

mcwong644

Jun 21, 2011
9100G on GB hangs daily, mine does freezing on camera use, download from market, during calls, on reboot due to media scanning, activate wifi or switch between 3G and edge. Battery drains to zero in 30 min. It also freeze when idle in pouch. When it freezes it becomes hot. Quite unusable as a phone not knowing any battery left unless i check it every 30 min. My LG Optimus is 1000times more stable. Now with ICS, it feels like a normal phone. No freeze for past 4 days, downloads. I'm not buying Samsung anymore once this S2 outlive its lifespan. Htc, ate, huawei, lg, or any Chinese brands. Six months before ICS stabilizes it. Now no complains except ram reduced from 1gb to 687mb after upgrade!

LenAsh

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 20, 2011
Midlands, UK
That rant is hardly typical of the other 19.999 Million SGS2 owners.

I think you need a dose of introspect.

Top Liked Posts