How do you disable USB automount?

Search This thread

Errant33

May 31, 2008
Syracuse
In the past I could enable USB debug and my USB storage would not auto mount to the computer it was connected to. Now no mater what I try with the S5 it will not allow me to disable this automount behavior, even while on the lock screen. I find this to be a HUGE issue with security anyone who can grab my phone can access all the files on it very quickly.

Has anyone figured out how to disable this?

Sorry if this has been asked already, I did search.

Dennisg34

Jan 30, 2013
New Hampshire
In the past I could enable USB debug and my USB storage would not auto mount to the computer it was connected to. Now no mater what I try with the S5 it will not allow me to disable this automount behavior, even while on the lock screen. I find this to be a HUGE issue with security anyone who can grab my phone can access all the files on it very quickly.

First you need to enable developer options by going to settings>about phone and tapping on the build number about 7 times, a pop up will come saying they are enabled. Then go there and scroll down and you should see it, about the 5th option down

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Free mobile app

Errant33

May 31, 2008
Syracuse
First you need to enable developer options by going to settings>about phone and tapping on the build number about 7 times, a pop up will come saying they are enabled. Then go there and scroll down and you should see it, about the 5th option down

I think you mis-understood my question, automount of usb is still occurring with debug mode enabled. Nothing I do will disable it and it happens even on the lock screen. I have already enabled developer options, was already familiar with the press 7 times option....although many are not!

Dennisg34

Jan 30, 2013
New Hampshire
I think you mis-understood my question, automount of usb is still occurring with debug mode enabled. Nothing I do will disable it and it happens even on the lock screen. I have already enabled developer options, was already familiar with the press 7 times option....although many are not!

You're right, I'm not understanding the question, and I still don't understand what you're trying to say. Can you be more specific with what steps you do and what results you are looking for?

Errant33

May 31, 2008
Syracuse

1. Plug USB into pc and phone
2. Browse to phone and see all files(Behavior I want to stop)

Basically I want charge only mode till I select for USB to connect via MTP or PTP

Dennisg34

Jan 30, 2013
New Hampshire
1. Plug USB into pc and phone
2. Browse to phone and see all files(Behavior I want to stop)

Basically I want charge only mode till I select for USB to connect via MTP or PTP

Hmm, have you tried deselecting the options that pop up once you plug the USB into the computer? Should give several options of what you want it as such as installer or media, deselect both? Not by a computer ATM so I'm unaware of the detailed options.

kprice8

Apr 23, 2014
Lansing MI
He's trying to find the function for attaching that says "Charge only" for attaching it via USB to computer/phone.

Errant33

May 31, 2008
Syracuse
He's trying to find the function for attaching that says "Charge only" for attaching it via USB to computer/phone.

I know how useless charging from a computer is the real intention is to stop a random person from just hooking it up via usb and downloading all my files. When I connect I intend to use storage mounted to the host PC.

Deselecting does not work by the way either MTP or PTP has to be selected and if you try to uncheck it stays checked at least that is the behavior i am seeing.

Dennisg34

Jan 30, 2013
New Hampshire
I know how useless charging from a computer is the real intention is to stop a random person from just hooking it up via usb and downloading all my files. When I connect I intend to use storage mounted to the host PC.

Deselecting does not work by the way either MTP or PTP has to be selected and if you try to uncheck it stays checked at least that is the behavior i am seeing.

What was the last device you owned that allowed you to charge only? I don't remember my S4 having a charge only option, although I never feared someone would hook it up to a computer and steal files.

Errant33

May 31, 2008
Syracuse
What was the last device you owned that allowed you to charge only? I don't remember my S4 having a charge only option, although I never feared someone would hook it up to a computer and steal files.

Cyanogenmod Modded Note II was not charge only, just had the ability to not auto select mount options from the storage menu you could simply uncheck both. Cant seem to do that with S5 stock rom.

Errant33

May 31, 2008
Syracuse
That was prob a CM ROM feature, stock S5 might not have this option.

It may or may not but previous android versions allowed this behavior on stock roms. Took a bit of messing around but you could get it to stop auto-mounting, usually by enabling debug mode in developer options, that doesn't seem to be the case anymore :(.

Dennisg34

Jan 30, 2013
New Hampshire
It may or may not but previous android versions allowed this behavior on stock roms. Took a bit of messing around but you could get it to stop auto-mounting, usually by enabling debug mode in developer options, that doesn't seem to be the case anymore :(.

I think it may be the opposite, have you unchecked USB debugging and then plugged it into a computer? I know that sounds simple and stupid, but debugging mode is made to transfer files

G

GuestK00202

If the screen is locked you should not be able to see phone or SD storage. Try this.

- Unplug the phone from the PC
- Lock the screen
- Plug phone back into PC

You should see the PC recognize the device, but when you click into it, it should be empty until you unlock the phone.

If you unlock the phone while plugged in. It will remember this until unplugged and locked again.

As far as I'm concerned turning the only real way is to set Windows to stop auto play for the device. However this would have to be done on any PC it's connected to.

Errant33

May 31, 2008
Syracuse
If the screen is locked you should not be able to see phone or SD storage. Try this.

- Unplug the phone from the PC
- Lock the screen
- Plug phone back into PC

You should see the PC recognize the device, but when you click into it, it should be empty until you unlock the phone.

If you unlock the phone while plugged in. It will remember this until unplugged and locked again.

As far as I'm concerned turning the only real way is to set Windows to stop auto play for the device. However this would have to be done on any PC it's connected to.

And now I feel stupid, thank you for the help. I didn't even check to see if the drives were showing up once autoplay triggered and the device showed up in "Computer" I assumed the storage was available.

:)

G

GuestK00202

I think it may be the opposite, have you unchecked USB debugging and then plugged it into a computer? I know that sounds simple and stupid, but debugging mode is made to transfer files

Dennis, you are half right. USB debugging is meant for file transferring (but on a deeper level). It is more of a dev. tool then setting for the average user. When USB Debugging is enabled Devs. use it for establishing a connection Between the Android SDK(Software Development Kit) with an Android Based Device

Dennisg34

Jan 30, 2013
New Hampshire
Dennis, you are half right. USB debugging is meant for file transferring (but on a deeper level). It is more of a dev. tool then setting for the average user. When USB Debugging is enabled Devs. use it for establishing a connection Between the Android SDK(Software Development Kit) with an Android Based Device

Lol I knew that mike, I just didn't feel like typing all those details out so I just said transfer files:):p

GHUqsdfgh

Nov 26, 2017
Hi. I have the same concern with my Android 7.
I used to own, years ago, and Android 2 device and once plugged in to a computer by USB, you needed to activate the data transfer manually on the screen, otherwise it was charge only.
I wish Android 7 would behave the same way. It is safer : you may charge your phone on any USB slot and use the phone at the same time without being worried that somebody could be downloading your files and installing a back door.