[BEWARE]Samsung made improvements against reseting flash counter

Search This thread

EdgaBimbam

Nov 26, 2011
Vilnius
www.google.lt

To start with, I'm flash addict and always trying to flash new roms/firmwares. However after flashing one of the newest samsung firmware i got this little red exlamation mark:

j96hpv.jpg

I have tried to reset flash counter in a lot of ways but it always stayed at number "1" (After you reset with triangle away latest, opening app again shows 0 flash counter but after reboot it increases to 1). Even if my flash counter was 5, after reset it was staying with 1. Seems that samsung introduced some security improvements against reseting flash counter for galaxy s3.
But one xda member InsteadWoolf published solution to reset flash counter:

1- Reset via Triangle Away
2- Turn off phone and go to download mode.
3- Then flash via odin pc the stock firmware you want.
After this method flash counter is 0. However if you go for custom rom or not stock kernel, that red exlamation mark comes back and flash counter increases to 1.

BIG CREDITS TO InsteadWoolf

Last edited:

EdgaBimbam

Nov 26, 2011
Vilnius
www.google.lt
So what firmware are you claiming Samsung has hacked as i have yet to see this on any build .

jje

i cant say exactly because didnt notice when i got it but i think with the latest BLH3 one ics. Never had this problem before, was flashing a lot via pc odin and reseting to 0 easily. And before i had even flash counter 5 and there wasnt any red exlamation mark like in the picture.

Last edited:

Ohamn

Feb 27, 2007
Oskarshamn
Phew......

.....so glad that that **** didn't show up after flashing Jelly Bean over Odin!! :victory:
Something to look out for? What do you guys think?

// Ohamn

azcamm27

Jul 29, 2012
I had the same issue after flashing a miui rom i had to reset with triangle away and go into download mode straight away without letting the phone boot up then flash full stock ics via odin and it reset. It took me ages to work it out i nearly gave up.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium HD app

EdgaBimbam

Nov 26, 2011
Vilnius
www.google.lt
I had the same issue after flashing a miui rom i had to reset with triangle away and go into download mode straight away without letting the phone boot up then flash full stock ics via odin and it reset. It took me ages to work it out i nearly gave up.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium HD app

but if u flash something not official then u wont be able to reset again. This is smt new, never was like that

Reactions: dilmah008

JJEgan

Oct 24, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
As i have flashed and reset at least 50 times in the last few weeks .

Reset counter with TA.
Flash custom kernel via Odin.

Nothing bar standard rom count of 1.
Run TA still nothing and counter 0 .
I wonder if something else is triggering the red mark .

jje

I

Id Arcanum

i reported it in OTA thread and also to Chainfire weeks ago, but no one took notice.. if anyone wants to test, i can upload example of such sboot.bin..

still everything is back to normal with flashing old sboot.bin

I

Id Arcanum

hmmm if i want to remove that flash counter 1 with red exlamation mark i need to flash old one? :)
yes,

here is zip with old sboot.bin (from XXALEF), this is all i can do ATM, you have to unzip it and pack in tar (quick search gave me this link for making tar http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1777579)..

and all standard things apply i am not responsible and blah blah if anything goes wrong, flashing bootloader is a sucker and may brick your phone..

edit: att. removed, look few posts bellow.

Last edited:

EdgaBimbam

Nov 26, 2011
Vilnius
www.google.lt
yes,

here is zip with old sboot.bin (from XXALEF), this is all i can do ATM, you have to unzip it and pack in tar (quick search gave me this link for making tar http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1777579)..

and all standard things apply i am not responsible and blah blah if anything goes wrong, flashing bootloader is a sucker and may brick your phone..

1F0035205D32C9A06A3624E9E4C40E4F *sboot.zip

maybe there is who couls make .tar or cwm package of this file. Im not so good at developing and other things so dont want to mess things :)

I

Id Arcanum

maybe there is who couls make .tar or cwm package of this file. Im not so good at developing and other things so dont want to mess things :)
i tried to make tar via phone, but got some error.. have to drive now, sorry

ps. there is thread in general section from as i9000 user with firmwares if i remember correctly with old bootloader

I

Id Arcanum

there, a Odin flashable tar.. tested by myself and my phone booted. see iff it helps with triangle away. thanks to secret unknown for instructions of making tar ;).

WARNING! if you brick it, you got to stick with it

D55F04C26C83CAA552B62F529E4434C2 *BEWARE_of_BRICK_i9300XXALEF_sboot.tar

edit: i flashed it via odin 3.04, edited .ini file to enable boot update and placed it in bootloader box.. don't know if editing ini is needed, but that's what i did and it worked.

PhoneBootUpdate=1

Attachments

• BEWARE_of_BRICK_i9300XXALEF_sboot.tar
    868 KB · Views: 1,611
Last edited:

EdgaBimbam

Nov 26, 2011
Vilnius
www.google.lt
there, a Odin flashable tar.. tested by myself and my phone booted. see iff it helps with triangle away. thanks to secret unknown for instructions of making tar ;).

WARNING! if you brick it, you got to stick with it

D55F04C26C83CAA552B62F529E4434C2 *BEWARE_of_BRICK_i9300XXALEF_sboot.tar

edit: i flashed it via odin 3.04, edited .ini file to enable boot update and placed it in bootloader box.. don't know if editing ini is needed, but that's what i did and it worked.

PhoneBootUpdate=1

thx will try it

I

Id Arcanum

As i have flashed and reset at least 50 times in the last few weeks .

Reset counter with TA.
Flash custom kernel via Odin.

Nothing bar standard rom count of 1.
Run TA still nothing and counter 0 .
I wonder if something else is triggering the red mark .

jje
this was sboot that was problematic for me, i don't know if i gor it in one of NEE OTA JB leaks or in my country ICS official OTA update.

Attachments

• DO_NOT_FLASH_sboot_i9300.zip
    390.7 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

To start with, I'm flash addict and always trying to flash new roms/firmwares. However after flashing one of the newest samsung firmware i got this little red exlamation mark:

j96hpv.jpg

I have tried to reset flash counter in a lot of ways but it always stayed at number "1" (After you reset with triangle away latest, opening app again shows 0 flash counter but after reboot it increases to 1). Even if my flash counter was 5, after reset it was staying with 1. Seems that samsung introduced some security improvements against reseting flash counter for galaxy s3.
    But one xda member InsteadWoolf published solution to reset flash counter:

1- Reset via Triangle Away
    2- Turn off phone and go to download mode.
    3- Then flash via odin pc the stock firmware you want.
    After this method flash counter is 0. However if you go for custom rom or not stock kernel, that red exlamation mark comes back and flash counter increases to 1.

BIG CREDITS TO InsteadWoolf
    How did you do that bootloader? Please help :(

Here you have:

Old BootLoader i9300

Just flash with ODIN in PDA section :)
    Okay Thanks. I will try after phone fully charges... hope everything goes well...

Just to cfm.
    1. Download mode
    2. Open ODIN as Admin
    3. Load the downloaded file in PDA(NOT BOOTLOADER)
    4. Connect phone and just flash.

Is this correct? Thanks. :)

Yes, after that use triangle way and your counter will remain at 0 even after reboot :)

Is there a way of rooting without the flash counter going up?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

It already exists, search at XDA section original dev :)

Enviado pela minha bomba i9300 através do TapaTalk.
    Thanks for noticing.

But, damn but what greasy screen! You should clean it more often.

Sorry about that, I didn't had the time.
    OK, here's the link:
    "All the credits goes to Grupo Android and to the user's who did this tutorial. I'm not taking any credit for this. Just posting it here to help those with the same problem I had."

http://www.grupoandroid.com/index.php?/topic/54751-Flasheo-limpio-con-Odin#entry821876

When you go to that link, first of all you will have to login or register to the site so you can download the files from there.
    What it says basically is that you need to flash an old (really old) ICS firmware but with the 3 files (csc, pda and phone) plus the *pit file.
    I need to say that I have the 16gb version of the I9300 and this pit file worked perfectly for me.
    I don't know if it's good to flash on a 32 gb versión of the phone...

Now that you have downloaded both files (the pit file and the zip or rar with the other 3 files in it) FIRST you need to go back to any stock ICS firmware you have on your pc if you're actually on a jelly bean firmware.
    In my case in particularly I went back to UK BTU LG8.
    Once it's up and running, turn on usb debugging on the phone and then turn it off and enter download mode, open odin 3.04 (close every Kies process running on windows) plug in the phone and make sure odin recognize it.
    Choose the pit file you downloaded before and put it on the pit tab (re-partition will be automatically checked) then do the same with the other 3 files on the zip file
    CSC = CSC
    PHONE = MODEM
    CODE = PDA
    Once it's all done and passed the flashing process, the phone will boot up on a very old ics firmware WITH AN OLD BOOTLOADER WITHOUT THE RED EXCLAMATION. (you will see that in the flashing process it will flash a sboot.bin file!)
    Now you can use odin again like you always did and flash anything you want and you will never have that stupid red exclamation mark again unless you update your bootloader again.
    I think I got mine updated when I OTA updated from ics to jb on Spanish firmware.
    What I did after this process is to flash UK BTU ICS LG8 again and then on top of it I flashed the UK BTU DLJ4 JB.
    Then I rooted it using cf-auto-Root with no problems, installed cwm recovery and that's it, no more red exclamation mark when entering recovery and my flash counter is on 1.
    Hope this helps and sorry for my English!! :D

Enviado desde mi GT-I9300 usando Tapatalk 2