[Q] My Nexus 4 won't charge or power on and I'm looking for options

Search This thread

shorty6049

Sep 15, 2010
So, a bit of backstory first ( Feel free to skip this part and read it after my TLDR and QUESTION portion for reference)
One day a few months ago (the day that my nexus 5 arrived early, luckily) I was working on flashing a new ROM to my nexus 4, and something went horribly awry. I got error messages saying that something could not be accessed or mounted or something (Sorry, the details are hazy , but it amounted to what seemed like an inability to access the files or locations it needed to access to flash the ROM)
My phone would not , no matter what I attemped , flash a ROM or revert to stock correctly. (I tried a bunch of different ways of pushing files manually to the phone, flashing stock images, etc.) .
Now here's where things get weird. I have NO idea if these two issues are related, I just assume they are. All of a sudden one day (I could never boot past recovery , so I hadn't been paying attention to battery level, considering the phone was plugged into my computer most of the time during those couple days) the phone just shut off.
I seemed to be able to get it to charge, but it never really lasted very long and would unexpectedly turn off again while I was trying to fix it.
That was a few months ago. Yesterday I opened the phone up for the first time, Unplugged the battery, checked connections and everything for possible water or other damage. Even gave the USB circuit board an alcohol bath for good measure. Put the phone back together, and tried plugging it into my computer and what happened was that the computer made a sound like it recognized a device. On the phone itself, a red light came on for a couple of seconds and turned off.
It still won't charge or boot into recovery/bootloader. Doesn't really give any indication that it IS charging, and every time I try turning it on, all I get is that red light that comes on for a couple seconds and turns off.

TDLR: Nexus 4 is messed up at the software level, and on top of that, won't charge or turn on.

QUESTION: Assuming I can't figure out a way to actually fix it, would it be a logical move to purchase a nexus 4 with a broken screen on ebay and pull all the internal components (specifically the main circuit board and battery probably) and put them into my current nexus 4's body?
I have no idea how much it'd cost me to have mine fixed, so I'm kind of just looking for a cheap way to end up with a working nexus 4.

mariosraptor

Nov 21, 2006
Corfu
In my opinion if it doesn't boot at all or lasts really little, you should check the battery. Unplug the phone from computer, Unplug your battery and let it off for a couple of minutes. In the mid time just press the in/off button for a few time and few seconds each time, so the components discharge. Replug your battery and let it charge for a couple of hours, not on computer but on the wall socket.
If after that it boot to bootloader the flash stock image.
If not see if you can get a new battery. Sometimes batteries discharge so much from being unused that they won't recharge without help ( need to have Power Supply unit).

Sent from my Z30 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app