[Q] Exchange email stops working

Search This thread

nathsgames

Oct 27, 2010
Gold Coast
Hi Guys,

Since about a week ago (XXLPH firmware), my Exchange email stopped working.

Just says Connection Error all the time.

I can wipe the email settings, then enter them again, it will connect and start downloading mail, then stops and says connection error.

My Transformer is fine with all the same settings.

I upgraded the software to XXLPQ, did a full wipe and Factory Reset and still the same.

Any ideas please?

Thanks.

Monu123

Aug 4, 2009
Gurgaon
Faced the same problem, reverted back to GB all is well...
Tried lot of things but didn't work with ICS using Samsung email client, although Maildroid was working fine.

jps1974

Nov 8, 2009
Vienna
Same here, but only with my work account (Exchange 2010) - works fine with my (hosted) personal Exchange account (which is on Exchange 2007 AFAIK).

It's been this way with all ICS leaks. Yesterday I thought I got it working by adding the accounts the other way around, but today I'm getting connection error again. I think it's got something to do with the Device Administrator setting, because I never get that prompt for the second account I add, whereas I'm pretty sure I did on GB.

Using Enhanced Email in the meantime which works fine, but the Samsung client has some great features :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Spingo

Sep 30, 2008
I too have the same issue - Connecting to the Exchange Server at work (Exchange 2007), I have no issue. The Exchange Server at home (2010) continually shows up with "Connection Error". XXLPH installed here too.

wonderstoat

Jun 29, 2007
Me too

Been driving me crazy. I agree it seems to be about the RSA device permissions. I think I'll have to go back to GB. Dammit, I wiped everything and have wasted all of today on this ...

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

They say replying to yourself is the first sign of madness ...

But I wonder if Samsung will fix this before pushing out the official UK update next week.

Hmmm ... I'm surprised more people haven't reported this.

Spingo

Sep 30, 2008
I've been looking into this (and learning a lot about EAS at the same time) - and have narrowed it down to XXLPH not liking the security policies contained within the Exchange ActiveSync Mailbox Policy that is being used. trouble is, no amount of fiddling has given me a long term solution (I have got it to work for short periods of time though).

I suspect that installing an Exchange 2007 CAS in my infrastructure and pointing my Galaxy S II to that will provide a workaround - but that's hardly a long-term solution. If that works, then forcing the handset to connect using an older version of the ActiveSync protocol should also work. This may be a more achievable workaround if I can figure out how to do it!

heldchen

Dec 21, 2010
it's also failing with gmail/google mail for apps added as an Exchange Activesync. when upgrading from GB, 1 of 2 of my gapps accounts stopped getting new mail. after a full wipe, both accounts now fail to fetch any mail or folders. logcat shows the error "Email:SecFeatureWrapper(6658): Was not initiated" while refreshing mails.

MMaster23

Aug 8, 2005
I'm having the exact same issues but for me they seem to be related to Hotmail (and it's Exchange 2003-like EAS protocol. The moment I add m.hotmail.com as an Exchange account, my other corporate and Office365 stop syncing.

The moment I remove the Hotmail account, all other Exchange accounts start working again. Very strange.

You guys added Exchange2003 or Hotmail mailboxes? I found this issue on nearly all SGS2 ICS build.. currently on LPQ.

Reactions: jps1974

wonderstoat

Jun 29, 2007
I'm having the exact same issues but for me they seem to be related to Hotmail (and it's Exchange 2003-like EAS protocol. The moment I add m.hotmail.com as an Exchange account, my other corporate and Office365 stop syncing.

The moment I remove the Hotmail account, all other Exchange accounts start working again. Very strange.

You guys added Exchange2003 or Hotmail mailboxes? I found this issue on nearly all SGS2 ICS build.. currently on LPQ.

Aha! That explains it. I couldn't figure out why everything was working tickety-boo this morning and then the Exchange (Work) stopped working. Must have been cause I added hotmail as an exchange server too.

jps1974

Nov 8, 2009
Vienna
Indeed that also explains why I thought it was working when I added the other account first - I guess it was in fact working up to the point where I added the second account ;-)

browngeek

Mar 16, 2010
Hong Kong
I've tried the exchange mail app from one of the ICS leaks. My main issue is the scheduled mail just not seem to work. For peak time I don't need push mail, only needs to check every 4 odd hours, but even though I've set it up like that it still keeps on pushing mail whenever a new email comes in.

wonderstoat

Jun 29, 2007
Can anyone confirm that the email client works properly with only one account installed?

I would be happy enough to do that, and use the MS Hotmail dedicated app for my personal email if I knew it worked.

Anyone doing this?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

qwerty_7564

Feb 21, 2010
Lancaster
Exchange 2010 Problem

I had this problem with an Exchange 2010 account when the email retrieval size was all works just fine on 100kb, no connection errors at all. Although Hotmail seems fine when email retrieval size is all.

Last edited:
Reactions: jps1974

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

The same problem was roaming around my head too... after trying every ICS ROM, I have found one way around.

i'll upload the solution shortly today.

farehmani

Here is the best possible solution, please follow all steps.

1) Download the AOSP Email.apk & Exchanger.apk from this link and unzip the files: https://rapidshare.com/files/3439473550/AOSP_Email_Exchange_4.1.zip

2) Using Titanium Backup, Make a backup and then wipe and uninstall the System apps Email & Exchange Services

3) Using Root Explorer put the recently Downloaded two files in \System\app\

Tada!!!

You'll get the working exchange mails again.

Please press thanks if you get your problem resolved

Farehmani

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium
    Problem Cause (one of them anyway) and Workaround

I haven’t checked this thread for a couple of days and had found a workaround solution, only to come back to post it and find someone has posted a different cause. So there is more than one cause of the problem – I had not experienced the problem as posted by mac_es, but suspect that my version of it is related in some way. The offending messages are Read Receipts, Delivery Receipts and similar messages, which could also have encoding issues, but so far in my case they haven’t. I haven't got the skills to work it out but probably one of you (mac_es?) does.

I had been reading this thread with a mixture of dread and anticipation whilst awaiting ICS availability over KIES. There are a number of us at the office with S2’s and one of us had already reported the problem, with no solution in sight. He subsequently left the company and we no longer had a guinea pig :)

Another one of us updated to ICS, and started having problems immediately. Then we found out that another colleague had updated a few days before and was having no problems at all, a fact he neglected to mention. We checked his firmware version and it was identical to the problem phone. This gave me the hope that there was a solution or permutation of settings that worked, so when KIES offered me the upgrade, I accepted it – it sure enough, I got the problem. We are all running XWLP7 / XXLPS.

To be clear, I am talking about the connection error problem, and so far I can only vouch for Exchange 2003, because that’s what we’ve got.

So, again, to be clear, the problem is this:

After a while, irrespective of email size, checking frequency, client settings etc, eventually mail stops coming in. If you hit manual refresh, it will give you one or both of the following messages

Last updated 28/04/2012 16:50 and Connection Error (name of account)

If you keep hitting refresh, it will keep giving you the messages, but if you inspect the time in the first message, you will see that it is not changing. If you connect to your exchange account via webmail you will notice that there are more recent messages in your inbox than the time it is showing as ‘Last Updated’ on your phone. The stop / start nature of the problem had led me to suspect it might be a particular type of message that was causing the problem, and sure enough, that’s what it turned out to be. Yes, it’s as simple as that.

The messages in question are Read Receipts, Delivery Receipts and similar messages. Once there is one of those in your inbox, you’re stuck until you delete it. I’m not sure whether it’s one or all of them, whether it’s limited to those generated by Exchange (my main suspect, all Exchange versions) or a specific version of Exchange. But the fact is that the account of the working phone above was set to not request receipts, whilst mine and the other problematic phones were set to request them. There’s a simple enough solution assuming you don’t need the receipts, which is to turn them off, but you might still get caught out by a non-delivery message.

A better solution which has worked for me is to create a folder for your receipts. Then, on your PC, create a rule to move the receipts to the folder on arrival. This will obviously also work when your PC is off, as the rules are stored and executed on the server. You will have to create a rule which processes emails on arrival, matches a series of strings in either subject or body of the message and moves them to the folder. Obviously depending on the languages and mail server systems of the people you communicate with you will have to vary the list, but I am working fine with the attached. From time to time you will find a receipt in your PC inbox which gets through your rule - all you need to do is inspect the message and update your rule accordingly.

The best solution, assuming the problem is the same and your Exchange Admin is willing to do so, could be to apply the fix to exchange referenced above, but I'm not sure the problem messages we had actually had encoding problems.

Anyway, in case of doubt, please note that I can replicate the problem at will. Having set up the rules, I have a folder which has receipts in it which I clear out periodically. Well, if I try to synchronise that folder to my phone, the problem comes back again, but the moment I switch back to my inbox, away it goes again. So, bottom line is, if you set this up – switching to a folder with receipts in it will give you problems, but otherwise you can work fine.

I’ve been working fine since Friday morning, having upgraded on Thursday afternoon, and have sent a mail shot to around 500 customers. That's a ton of delivery receipts, read receipts and out of office messages. The other colleague with the problem has also implemented the rule and is still ok.

You could presumably also create a rule for the character issue mentioned by mac_es.
    good news: the leaked 4.0.4 firmware (XXLQ5) fixes all my exchange problems i had

Exchange 2010 Problem

I had this problem with an Exchange 2010 account when the email retrieval size was all works just fine on 100kb, no connection errors at all. Although Hotmail seems fine when email retrieval size is all.