Is this phone worth it over the Nexus 5?

Search This thread

Venekor

Oct 2, 2011
It is not really that more expensive than the Nexus 5 and tbh I'm getting sick of all these giant phones and want something smaller.

1. Do they have that stupid screen protector thing on that previous phones had? My problem is when you took it off previous Xperia phones, there was no anti finger print layer on the glass.

2. The camera sensor is 1/2.3 which apart from some of the Nokia's is the largest sensor out there, is the camera good or is Sony's Software crap?

3. Is it good overall?

G

Gaúcho comedor

It is not really that more expensive than the Nexus 5 and tbh I'm getting sick of all these giant phones and want something smaller.

1. Do they have that stupid screen protector thing on that previous phones had? My problem is when you took it off previous Xperia phones, there was no anti finger print layer on the glass.

2. The camera sensor is 1/2.3 which apart from some of the Nokia's is the largest sensor out there, is the camera good or is Sony's Software crap?

3. Is it good overall?

1. It does have a screen protector.

2 . The camera is absolutely amazing, but the software on stock 4.3 sucks. It's nearly impossible to record a video in focus for longer than 2 seconds. My camera results have been significantly better on CM 11. I can take pictures from large distances, crop them, and they still look sharp.

3. Overall quality is excellent. I've come from many iterations of Samsung phones and can tell you that not one of them comes even close to the quality on this baby. You will need to get a magnetic charger, however. Opening and closing the USB flap every single day will damage it eventually, no matter how careful you are.

^ "better" is very subjective.

Like you, I am fed up with large phones. I had the GS4 since it came out last year (got it on day 1), and used it for most of the year. I actually quite like the GS4 -- replaceable battery, MicroSD, great camera, great display and "manageable" size. However, I wanted to try more pocketable devices, so:

- First up the Moto X. Great, great design. Awesome feel in hand, more pocketable. Active notifications are just great. Because of the lower-res screen, the non-removable battery is fine - I can usually get through 14-15 hours without a charge so even when I am travelling all day, not a big worry. The two big downsides to the Moto X are (a) crap camera -- although it can take good HDR photos in the right light, it often disappoints (b) lack of MicroSD storage. I'm consistently running at around 23/25GB so it's a bit tight.

- Now trying the z1c. Obviously it solves some of the Moto X shortcomings (camera and MicroSD). It's not perfect. First, the feel in hand is not as good as the Moto X, because it's thicker all around and it's a very square shape (so digs into your palms a bit). Screen on the Moto X (which is AMOLED) is better, but this is subjective. Battery, can't tell yet - think it's around the same as the Moto X (essentially the same size). I also removed the ASF, couldn't stand it. Fingerprints are roughly the same as on the Moto X, that is to say manageable. As of now, I had to downgrade to JB to get a bug-free ROM. Had a few KK issues (mostly sound-related including the alarm).

BTW, I had the Nexus 5 when it first came out, returned it to Google after 1 day. To me the Moto X is a much better overall device than the N5 with the same tradeoffs. The N5 is too big and cut into my hands, never mind it had all kinds of crazy bugs (they may or may not be solved now).

If you want a small, fast device with a very good camera, there isn't much choice right now other than the z1c. Maybe Samsung or HTC will make "proper" minis this year (their 2013 mini's are not high-end devices)???

Last edited:

Venekor

Oct 2, 2011
The screen protector thing killed it for me, they scratch far too easily and once taken off there is no coating on the glass.

Wish Sony stopped doing that.

Darkimmortal

Sep 21, 2010
The screen protector thing killed it for me, they scratch far too easily and once taken off there is no coating on the glass.

Wish Sony stopped doing that.

Just get a good tempered glass protector, they literally feel better than the bare glass (as they have the proper coatings), fingerprints are reduced and touch responsiveness is identical

kenny_hn_mda

Sep 27, 2007
Munich
First thing i do with a phone, before rooting is buying a MATE screen protector for the device. Better haptic even with water on the finger.

The phone itself is more than others. But that is my subjective opinion.

It is the first phone, in dimensions of an iPhone with realy powerfull hardware.

All the Mini-Versions of HTC and Samsung are bad compromisses.

You want the latest and greatest stuff inside?
So buy our 5' or 6' "mega-super-doesnt-fit-in-a-normal-jeans-phones"
I want a hardware with the ability, not to be outdatet, after half a year. And the size of an iPhone.

THANK YOU SONY!

Well done.

That`s what i am thinking!

Reactions: doner_kebab

Funkym0nkey

Jul 10, 2007
Moving around in the ancient land
If size and waterproofing is not an issue for you, then probably not worth getting this over Nexus 5. KitKat update has many bugs. Probably too many for many people. But it is still manageable. But I have issues in other departments.

This was my first Xperia in long time. And even though Sony has made a great little device, they still have some way to go in terms of optimising their software for their hardware. I very much liked Z1 Compact. But it does not feel like it is being powered by S800 SoC. That ultimate fluidity is missing from Sony's skin. Nova Launcher fixed the fluidity issue but at the cost of many Sony widgets.

Camera hardware is great. But the Intelligent Auto mode as well as Manual mode even in KitKat are too hit or miss. HDR is also not great (limited to 8MP and much much slower than other high end phones like Nexus 5, Note3 or S4 and even Moto X). Nexus 5 generates better HDR images than Z1 compact from what I have seen so far. Fiddling with each setting manually does give decent pics. Even great at times. Same is case with Auto mode. Some pictures really turn out to be great. But even at low ISOs the pictures appear over processed and noisy and not as sharp sometimes.
Camera on phone should have great auto mode. It is meant to take pictures quickly. Sony needs to improve on this.

Overall, I got bored with the phone rather quickly. The fact that Nexus 5 and Moto X were offering better day to day use experience is what killed my interest in Z1 Compact in the end. That and lack of development meant I gave up on it. Maybe little too early. But I did give up. I might give it another try at sometime in the future.
But as of now, out of box Nexus 5 will probably give you better experience. I used the adverb "probably" because not everyone will have same point of view. But as a person who have used both this is the conclusion I can draw.

cheetah2k

May 27, 2008
Brisbane
1. It does have a screen protector.

2 . The camera is absolutely amazing, but the software on stock 4.3 sucks. It's nearly impossible to record a video in focus for longer than 2 seconds. My camera results have been significantly better on CM 11. I can take pictures from large distances, crop them, and they still look sharp.

3. Overall quality is excellent. I've come from many iterations of Samsung phones and can tell you that not one of them comes even close to the quality on this baby. You will need to get a magnetic charger, however. Opening and closing the USB flap every single day will damage it eventually, no matter how careful you are.

I disagree about the camera. 70% of the time its great, but then there's those times where the focus is out because the Auto mode is rubbish, or there's flash bleed at night when using a flash..

I also disagree about the quality aspect vs Samsung phones. I also come from a long line of Samsung phones, and what I can say is what you additional warm and fuzzies you get over the Z1C and Z1 build quality, is quite the reverse if you drop it. At least Samsung phones bounce without causing damage.

Also the USB flap charging issue - Sony still haven't learnt that phones these days need Wireless Charging... All the "reference" google android devices - Nexus phones / tabs have it, and I also have wireless charging installed in my Note 3. Sony need to quit it with the magnetic charging cables/docs and go
wireless..

However, the positives here are that its the best compact device (of a flagship) on the market. Its also the same size as an iPhone 5/5s and with better all round specs. In Australia an iPhone 5S 16gb retails for $799, vs the Z1C for $552 (and has expandable storage). If anyone is in the market for a high spec compact phone, the Z1C would have to be it.

Last edited:

wingsfortheirsmiles

Mar 28, 2014
Rhydd-Inge
The Z1C is perfect for my usage pattern which consists of heavy daily use for both web browsing/emails (3hrs SOT+) and music playback (6hrs+) with a few calls and texts. I still have my N5 and would say (as many others probably have done so already) that it's unbeatable in terms of value for money for excellent specs and KK.

Unfortunately for me the N5 is very uncomfortable for one-handed use and drains too quickly through the day to last. The Moto X has the perfect size and form factor but again the battery is insufficient for me. I would also like UK-compatible LTE bands and 32GB of storage which is sadly not possible.

That leaves the Z1C. Although it's far from perfect, I've put a film screen protector over the ASF, the camera is sufficient for my limited needs and ultimately it does a great job of being my mp3 player and web access point.

burnstine

Oct 9, 2013
Breitenfurt
dilemma

coming from a ancient iPhone 3g, switched over to a Nexus S, followed by Nexus 4 und now Nexus 5:
As i am doing a lot of purchasing for my company, I get many different smartphones to see, test, and setup.

The Nexus S had a perfect size (imho), the Nex 4 was big, and the Nex 5 feels HUGE in my hands, and pockets. Way to big to carry it in my trousers.

Aditionally i would prefer a waterproof phone. BUT: i need root acces, to get a RSAP working.
Is there no easy way of rooting and staying able to receiva OTA as on the Nex 5?

slannmage

Oct 30, 2012
Depends what you mean by easy. If you follow the step by step guide in the forums here, you can get root. It's a lot more difficult than some other devices, no denying that.

It says there is 4.4 all over Google for this phone, I have the unbranded UK versions but software updates says there are no newer versions and I'm only on 4.3.

Why is this?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First thing i do with a phone, before rooting is buying a MATE screen protector for the device. Better haptic even with water on the finger.

The phone itself is more than others. But that is my subjective opinion.

It is the first phone, in dimensions of an iPhone with realy powerfull hardware.

All the Mini-Versions of HTC and Samsung are bad compromisses.

You want the latest and greatest stuff inside?
    So buy our 5' or 6' "mega-super-doesnt-fit-in-a-normal-jeans-phones"
    I want a hardware with the ability, not to be outdatet, after half a year. And the size of an iPhone.

THANK YOU SONY!

Well done.

That`s what i am thinking!