No ICS for SGS, complain here. All other threads will be deleted!

Search This thread

NeoS

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Senior Mod
Jan 27, 2008
Somewhere in NL
As we all have heard, sadly, ICS will not be available through Samsung because of the lack of memory available in the SGS to run Touchwiz.

However the community isn't happy, XDA will probably find a way to get ICS on your SGS.

If you feel you should complain about the lack of ICS on your device, you may do so in this thread. However, other threads about the subject will be closed / deleted, since one thread should suffice.

Consider this a warning too; We strive to keeping the forum clean, and if anyone ignores this, disciplinary action will be taken.

Edit: petition url added here: http://www.change.org/petitions/www...ndwich-version-for-users-of-the-samsung-i9000 Thanks Telep!
Edit2: Samsung might be rethinking this strategy: http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/27/2663320/samsung-galaxy-s-and-galaxy-tab-ics-upgrade-review Hurray!

Last edited:

btyre

Oct 10, 2009
What was wrong with the last thread?

Anyway, this is kind of a bummer. Shows that 18 month program was a whole load of hot air.

Also, the claim that Touchwiz won't run on top of ICS is trash. I wonder if the leaked S2 version can be ported. Perhaps making our own "official" rom could be quite effective way of getting them to buck their ideas up?

EDIT: Actually, the 18 months was after the S was released and the S has been out of 18 months already (Wow time flies), so point is void.

Last edited:

aalsaqqa

Nov 25, 2011
no need for that with TW, Google's stock is better
ICS ports here working better than Samsung's stock roms

CDTI

Dec 9, 2009
València
I've signed all online petitions, but I'll be happy if they just release AOSP Compatible Drivers for all the components of our phone.

Maybe we should spam Google, asking them to tell Samsung to release drivers at least.

Sent from my I9000 using XDA App

G

GuestK00250

what bout S+? i feel cheated. at least SGS gets 2 majot updates. S+ didn't even recieve any major updates! this will be my last samsucks phone. at least sony is loyal to their customers. even xperia play which has the same specs as S+ is getting ICS WTF! screw u samsung :mad:

telep

Dec 27, 2009
Novi Sad
They can make lightweight ROM, with possibility to download additional crapwizz apps and widgets from samsung apps.

Jul 14, 2008
Not a complaint more an observation...
It's all well and good complaining but think of it this way, The majority of users don't know about ICS and don't care. They use it because it works fine, Samsung have dropped it not cause it's a bad phone but because it's a business practice that is used every day.

Just because it sold 10, 20 or 30 million units doesn't mean they'll continue to support as people will drop this phone when they contract is up which if bought at the start only have to put up with it for a few months more before getting an upgrade anyway.

Why should Samsung continue to develop for a phone that is starting to age in hardware compared to the newer flagships? Sure the Xperia Neo is getting it because it was released this year so it makes sense to.

Now I can understand to the i9003 and i9001 users having only been out this year but i9000 is different.

spamtrash

Nov 9, 2008
Krasnoyarsk
Not a complaint more an observation...
It's all well and good complaining but think of it this way, The majority of users don't know about ICS and don't care. They use it because it works fine, Samsung have dropped it not cause it's a bad phone but because it's a business practice that is used every day.

Just small addition: MINORITY, who even will notice lack of new OS, is able to go here and complain, so same effort would be required to have ICS thanks to work of the devs here.

kiantrel

Feb 1, 2011
Quito
Its an "old" phone, but a very good one, that's why we have devs la Onecosmic, doing amazing things to port ICS to those of us who still use the Great SGS I9000

MrAndroid12

Mar 30, 2011
Auckland
This phone is really similar to the Nexus S from same CPU, RAM, GPU, screen etc.... So there shouldn't be too many kernel address mismatches either.....

Either way, Sammy should remove some bloatware and touchwiz to make room for ICS to fit inside of SGS's system partition. That's pretty much it :)

P.S. Samsung signed "android alliance" to provide updates for it's handset for at least 18 months after first release. They will have to provide updates for new android releases until April fools.

---------- Post added at 04:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

That's not an old phone. I'm just 20 and my phone is 1.5 years old. Support your baby samsung.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

technology is considered old when a successor comes into the market. Right now, SGS2 is also considered old as SGS3 is due very soon

DaveBG

Mar 18, 2011
I hope they release it. I have removed RFS and now the phone is OK and i plan on keeping it until SGS3 at least. So basically ICS will be great if i can has it :)

Knedjo

Jun 16, 2010
Zemun
Samsung will not deliver justified update no matter what! That's why I've exchanged my SGS for Nexus S and from now on will only upgrade on Googlephones!

Top Liked Posts