Shield like streaming except to PC?

Search This thread

HobsonA

Dec 26, 2011
Albany
I've had such a positive experience with shield streaming even remotely it has renewed my interest in streaming to multiple platforms.

Has any software come out to low latency stream one PC to another PC? I'd love to be able to use relatively cheap laptops which have massive battery life and use my home computer to do all the computing like with the shield.

Anyone have any experience with trying this?

Skaarg

Mar 18, 2010
I've had such a positive experience with shield streaming even remotely it has renewed my interest in streaming to multiple platforms.

Has any software come out to low latency stream one PC to another PC? I'd love to be able to use relatively cheap laptops which have massive battery life and use my home computer to do all the computing like with the shield.

Anyone have any experience with trying this?

The best you're probably going to get is using Splashtop. I've used it to play games that were on my desktop, but had problems with a couple occasionally.

pete224

Nov 24, 2013
Limelight

These guys have worked on porting the the protocol and tech that the shield uses (Gamestream) to other android devices: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2505510

They are currently working on porting it to PC. There is a pre-alpha build of the program in the thread but you should note that the program is in its very early stages.

fern420

Nov 26, 2010
Splashtop 2 is the best I've used, well worth the sub, especially if you own multiple machines.

One thing i have noticed since I started using the shield is that splash-top now streams games just fine to any of my devices in true full screen, it used to tell me full screen was incompatible with splash top but ever since i started streaming with the shield it works just fine. It must be something related to the shield/geforce experience streaming software that tricks the slashtop into working in fullscreen.

YOU ARE IN LUCK! Check out kainy.com

very interesting, giving this a try now.

HobsonA

Dec 26, 2011
Albany
Hm if I want to use splashtop I'll have to re-setup vpn again so I don't have to pay that remote cost. I wonder if someone ever wrote a program like the shield proxy to forward just the stuff used by splashtop to my PC to avoid slow VPN.

Let me know how that kainy.com works out seems a bit sketchy to me lol

cgutman

Aug 14, 2010
Hm if I want to use splashtop I'll have to re-setup vpn again so I don't have to pay that remote cost. I wonder if someone ever wrote a program like the shield proxy to forward just the stuff used by splashtop to my PC to avoid slow VPN.

Let me know how that kainy.com works out seems a bit sketchy to me lol

You can also use Limelight for remote streaming. It works with Shield Proxy just the same as the real streaming software on the Shield itself. Just run the Windows binary on the machine that you'll be streaming from, setup the port forwarding, and you're set. Whenever you connect remotely, specify the external IP address of your router.

HobsonA

Dec 26, 2011
Albany
You can also use Limelight for remote streaming. It works with Shield Proxy just the same as the real streaming software on the Shield itself. Just run the Windows binary on the machine that you'll be streaming from, setup the port forwarding, and you're set. Whenever you connect remotely, specify the external IP address of your router.

Well my shield works fine what I'm trying to do now is do shield quality streaming to another PC. I have this very powerful desktop and a bunch of fairly weak laptops would love to stream to a laptop to use my desktop quality gaming anywhere for those games which need a keyboard and mouse and cant do on shield.

cgutman

Aug 14, 2010
Well my shield works fine what I'm trying to do now is do shield quality streaming to another PC. I have this very powerful desktop and a bunch of fairly weak laptops would love to stream to a laptop to use my desktop quality gaming anywhere for those games which need a keyboard and mouse and cant do on shield.

Yep, there's a PC port of Limelight that uses the same technology as the Shield. There's more info in the Limelight thread.

https://github.com/limelight-stream/limelight-pc/releases