[Q] NoRoot Firewall app and apps access the internet

Search This thread

jrocket

Oct 8, 2010
I recently installed the NoRoot Firewall app so I see which apps are accessing the internet and block those which shouldn't need access. The good part is that I haven't seen any apps access the internet that shouldn't - no flashlights, notepads, etc.

The problem is that I'm seeing some apps that will need internet access trying to connect dozens of times. I haven't used soundhound in months and it's trying to connect dozens of times in a half hour period. There are other apps that I rarely use that are trying to connect once in a while, like flickr, cloud drive (which isn't even set up), that I wish I could disable unless I need it, but I can live with those.

My questions are:
Why are some apps connecting so often when they're not in use?
Is there a way to disable apps from making connections until I'm actively trying to use them?

Thanks.

Skulldiver

Dec 25, 2013
My questions are:
Why are some apps connecting so often when they're not in use?
Is there a way to disable apps from making connections until I'm actively trying to use them?

Thanks.

They're connecting because they want to sync or maybe load some infos in the background. You can force them into hibernate mode with Greenify, but should all only work perfectly with root. Else you can't directly access the internet access.
Try Greenify and you will see if it works event without root. Not the best solution but a good beginning :)

jrocket

Oct 8, 2010
They're connecting because they want to sync or maybe load some infos in the background. You can force them into hibernate mode with Greenify, but should all only work perfectly with root. Else you can't directly access the internet access.
Try Greenify and you will see if it works event without root. Not the best solution but a good beginning :)

I know they're trying to connect, but my thinking is that they shouldn't when there's no account set up and all notifications are disabled. With apps like evernote where they're set to sync every few hours that makes sense, but if it's not serving ads, and there's no account to sync, I don't see why it needs to connect. I'm sure the app dev thinks it needs to, but I wish there was a way I could better control it.

I'll try greenify, thanks for the suggestion.