[Official] Qi Wireless Charging Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

jayharper08

Retired Senior Moderator - The Troll Whisperer
Jan 7, 2008
The Dirty
There were a couple of threads pop up about the Qi wireless charging. Unfortunately, they turned out to be members (not just one) just trying to sell their products. This will serve as an official discussion thread about the Qi Wireless Charging System for people with inquiries about it. You may post a review video if you have the system, but we will be watching closely. If we see that you are trying to run a business off of XDA's back, you will be infracted/banned for good. XDA is not a place to promote your business. Part 11 of the forum rules:

11. Don’t post with the intention of selling something.
Don’t use XDA to advertise your product or service. Proprietors of for-pay products or services, may use XDA to get feedback, provide beta access, or a free version of their product for XDA users and offer support, but not to post with the intention of selling. This includes promoting sites similar/substantially similar to XDA-Developers.com.
Do not post press releases, announcements, links to trial software, or commercial services. unless you’re posting an exclusive release for XDA-Developers.com.
Encouraging members to participate in forum activities on other phone related sites is prohibited.
Off-site downloads are permitted if the site is non-commercial and does not require registration.
Off-site downloads from sites requiring registration are NOT encouraged but may be permitted if the following conditions are met:
A) the site belongs to a member of XDA-Developers with at least 1500 posts and 2 years membership who actively maintains XDA-Developers' support thread(s) / posts, related to the download,
B) the site is a relatively small personal website without commercial advertising/links (i.e. not a competitor forum-based site with purposes and aims similar to those of XDA-Developers.com.)

So please keep this in mind while you discuss it. Have a good time guys!

Last edited:

mputtr

Nov 12, 2008
California, USA
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I'd like to start it off with a wireless charging kit I purchased that comes with a receiver and transmitter.
The manufacturer is called Yijieneng.
The receiver fits underneath the battery door with no modification required.
From what I've noticed about it, it charges a little faster than USB but not as fast as an AC adapter. (according to the receiver, it charges at 700mAh)
NFC works with this kit.
As far as I've noticed, the range is about 4mm (from transmitter surface to battery case) for there to be a successful charge.
The transmitter emits a small beep when it starts the charge. I've had it next to my bed for the past few weeks and I don't hear it when I sleep if it goes off. It does keep my phone at 100% in the morning.

At this time I'm also creating a custom dock that will put the phone up at an angle like a dock. I have finished the core part of it, but still waiting to finalize the ridge that will hold the phone. I'm waiting to get a certain bumper case before I create the final ridge.
Here's a few pictures of the dock in its current form (it still needs to be sanded and have the surface reworked):
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4bcgiapslrawvcs/yIOWW5Fybz#/
Here's a video of the kit that I shot showing how it works as well as NFC function.

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
Charging range and case choices:
is it possible to use Cases Such as Otterbox Commuter with the QI PAD? Does the signal transmit through?

Yes I am currently using the defender with the dual energizer pad nightly with no issues.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

* Ballistic SG Maxx Case as well as the Ballistic SG
* UAG (Urban Armor Gear)

Are Qi products intercompatible?
I bought a Nokia wireless charging plate uses Qi standards, I got it from Verizon Wireless online with my work discount, It cost me for 40 dollars and I am using Yijieneng Qi pad.

My s3 use UAG case (Urban Armor Gear), It does transmit the wireless charging through the case and It runs like charm.

As far as I know, the charging distance is between 4mm to 4cm (if the transmitter is based off the newer standard)

Charging speed
Depending on the receiver it can range from 500ma to 700ma (this is roughly the speed of usb charging or a little faster)

Does NFC Work?
I can't vouch for ALL the Qi kits out there, but the Yijieneng one that I do posses, works. Reference the above video to show that it works.

Available Products
Wireless Charging Kits (This includes both receiver and charger):
Yijieneng kit. Comes with a receiver pad that fits underneath the battery door and a transmitter.
Warning: I highly suggest getting just the receiver pad from them rather than the whole kit. Apparently the 2nd version seem to be problematic and requires an exact placement. You can find the transmitter at your local phone store like AT&T and Verizon or get it from sites like Amazon and such for the Energizer Qi charging pad.
As for those who are asking how to purchase this, this is what some of the members have done.
Just read through the thread and I think I might consider the Yijieneng receiver and charging pad. For those of you that have successfully purchased the kits from Yijieneng: How was the communication service and shipping promptness from them, and what's the price for the charging pad and the receiver (as they don't have any price listings on their site).
Hi,
Communication is slow, use messenger links on their site.
Price of the unit is 55$ + shipping cost. Mine shipping was 30$ via DHL.
Took them more than a week after completed payment to send the item. I was about to contact paypal to help me get my money back ...

The prices are from their pricelist which you can request and the prices are for "sample". Prices for bulk are more than half way down ...

With the pricelist they've send me 2 pdfs with company presentation. They seems to be big oem manufacturer for the most of QI enabled charging pads (incl energizer). But this is only if you can trust what is written in presentation pdfs and in my experience with Chinese companies like this is that the truth in presentations is less than 40% ....

Zens wireless charger
. They sell the whole kit for something around $80 or $90 (I think). Comes with a case and transmitter.

Droidax EzyCharge
Here's the link to their review: http://www.androidunite.com/2012/11/15/droidax-ezycharge-wireless-charger-for-galaxy-s3/
Comes with a case and transmitter.

Speed
New HK brand. Seems to have a full kit available. Receiver backing goes for ~25 USD (208 HK$). Transmitter goes for ~$50 (388 HK$).
http://www.speed-charger.com/en/home

Disclaimer: Touchstone, Qi, and Powermat are not compatible with each other. As of this edit (12/15/2012), none of these charging standards and their products will work with the other's product no matter what anyone tells you. In the future, there might be a universal charger, but right now, none exist.

Kits to AVOID
Kaneda Wireless Powerbank
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=35679928&postcount=125

EDIT: Added some extra info

EDIT 2: There are many members who have asked me where I got this kit from and the best I can and am allowed to disclose is that you would have to look up the manufacturer and contact them yourself. As far as I was reading, various members have actually directly contacted the manufacturer through their website and did their own transaction there. I personally have not done it before so I can not guarantee anything. I also do not know how much they charge nor do I know what kind of payment they take so your best bet is to talk to them. I only have this one kit that I have shown in the video and no it will not be sold to anyone (I like it too much and use it too much for me to even think about giving it up)

EDIT 3: Added info on other Qi chargers. Will add more info and pictures of other chargers and/or receivers as I find them.
EDIT 4: added more info based on what I missed previously .
EDIT 5: Added a Kits to avoid section.
EDIT 6: Added warning on 2nd gen Yijieneng transmitter issue. Added new kit

Last edited:

aeron16

Jan 16, 2006
Same here!

Using this with a couple of energizer qi pads.

Also modified the receiver that goes under the battery door so that it works with the 4200mah extended battery and battery door.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

Reactions: PilgrimR

pdubcramp

Oct 4, 2010
New York
I'm such a sucker for stuff like this. But I have a hard time spending what looks like 85 for the pad and receiver for something that I most likely won't be able to use on my next device. This would be high on my list if I was capable of keeping a phone for over a year! :silly:

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
I'm such a sucker for stuff like this. But I have a hard time spending what looks like 85 for the pad and receiver for something that I most likely won't be able to use on my next device. This would be high on my list if I was capable of keeping a phone for over a year! :silly:

The charging base can be used for other qi compatible phone, so it's not a waste, while the receiver, it can be modded to support other phones.

Reactions: pdubcramp

ChrisM0678

May 26, 2009
www.AndroidUnite.com
Just wanted to post a walkthrough video of the Droidax EzyCharge Wireless Charging kit. I'm really considering opening the case up and seeing what kind of receiver is inside and possibly fitting it under the back of my phone and if I do it I'll update this post. Otherwise, I think its a great 3-purpose combo (case, wireless charger and backup battery) especially for the price when compared to the competition. The pad can be sold seperately and charges any device thats Qi compatible so thats always a plus. If anyone finds a cheap and slim Qi receiver being sold stateside let me know I really want to get a couple. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

By the way, If I may, I'd suggest making this post a sticky since it gets brought up a lot.

mputtr

Nov 12, 2008
California, USA
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Absolutely valid points. However I think I'll let the technology mature and adoption to increase a bit more. I'm sure prices will drop drastically.

The technology is already actively used in Japan, but it has yet to receive a wider audience. Some phones also come built in with with Qi wireless charging like the Droid DNA and the Lumia 920. Hopefully there will be more and more devices that have it built in and then hopefully the "battery covers" for those phones will be sold on sites like amazon or ebay that comes w/ the qi receiver that you can remove and mod into the s3..

khtims

Sep 19, 2008
Middleton
www.kbswebsites.com
I also have the kit in the first post. I like it well enough. I use it at work all day. I am having an issue where I cannot receive phone calls while charging on the pad. Anyone else experience this? I have the leaked jelly bean k1 build. Just stock leak. No mods. Any ideas?

mputtr

Nov 12, 2008
California, USA
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
EDIT: attached is a ss of my phone when it's docked.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354267705815.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354267705815.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1,649

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
I also have the kit in the first post. I like it well enough. I use it at work all day. I am having an issue where I cannot receive phone calls while charging on the pad. Anyone else experience this? I have the leaked jelly bean k1 build. Just stock leak. No mods. Any ideas?

I actually tested this out on the S3 and note 2, both on stock kies updated, everything works fine except you cannot use speaker phone.

SMS send/receive ok,
call in/out ok,
BT call in/out ok,
handfree in/out ok,
speaker phone other party ok, phone on charger too much loud reoccuring echo.

someone else also mention this, he was also on custom rom, so it seems like custom rom may affect the functionality.

Reactions: pcorlatan

sw20matt

Jan 26, 2009
Dose it matter what charging pad I use? seems like you can get a back plate off ebay for $16 but dont want to spend the 50 on a QI pad.

so Can I just get any charging pad or dose it have to be the QI to work or are they just universal?

mputtr

Nov 12, 2008
California, USA
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
If the backplate is a Qi compatible backplate, then yes it will work. If you're talking about the palm touchstone mod, then no. They operate on a different frequency.
This applies to all the different standards. As far as I've read, no standard are intercompatible with the other.
i.e: Qi will not work with Touchstone or Powermat. Powermat will not work with Qi or Touchstone. Touchstone will not work with Qi or Powermat.
They send out a different set of frequencies that the other standard does not use/accept.

sw20matt

Jan 26, 2009
thanks. that kinda sucks because they sell the other powermat for $10 bucks but QI is 50.ill have to check out the frequency it uses and see if I can find an alternative.

mputtr

Nov 12, 2008
California, USA
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I remembered that Powermat claimed it will work with Qi back in early/mid 2011, but doing a search has shown me nothing. If you order from amazon, you can probably try the powermat transmitter and see if it works, then return it if it doesn't, but I highly doubt it considering they're competing standards.

pcorlatan

Dec 18, 2008
I'd love it if Samsung came out with a Qi charging kit since it seems to work so well but at this point I'd be happy with anything from them.

Last edited:

mputtr

Nov 12, 2008
California, USA
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
samsung is too busy flip flopping between 2 different standards. the contact points are there, you should be able to purchase a zens or yijieneng receiver and get a cheap transmitter from energizer or something.

Reactions: kms108
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'd like to start it off with a wireless charging kit I purchased that comes with a receiver and transmitter.
    The manufacturer is called Yijieneng.
    The receiver fits underneath the battery door with no modification required.
    From what I've noticed about it, it charges a little faster than USB but not as fast as an AC adapter. (according to the receiver, it charges at 700mAh)
    NFC works with this kit.
    As far as I've noticed, the range is about 4mm (from transmitter surface to battery case) for there to be a successful charge.
    The transmitter emits a small beep when it starts the charge. I've had it next to my bed for the past few weeks and I don't hear it when I sleep if it goes off. It does keep my phone at 100% in the morning.

At this time I'm also creating a custom dock that will put the phone up at an angle like a dock. I have finished the core part of it, but still waiting to finalize the ridge that will hold the phone. I'm waiting to get a certain bumper case before I create the final ridge.
    Here's a few pictures of the dock in its current form (it still needs to be sanded and have the surface reworked):
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4bcgiapslrawvcs/yIOWW5Fybz#/
    Here's a video of the kit that I shot showing how it works as well as NFC function.

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
    Charging range and case choices:
    is it possible to use Cases Such as Otterbox Commuter with the QI PAD? Does the signal transmit through?

Yes I am currently using the defender with the dual energizer pad nightly with no issues.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

* Ballistic SG Maxx Case as well as the Ballistic SG
    * UAG (Urban Armor Gear)

Are Qi products intercompatible?
    I bought a Nokia wireless charging plate uses Qi standards, I got it from Verizon Wireless online with my work discount, It cost me for 40 dollars and I am using Yijieneng Qi pad.

My s3 use UAG case (Urban Armor Gear), It does transmit the wireless charging through the case and It runs like charm.

As far as I know, the charging distance is between 4mm to 4cm (if the transmitter is based off the newer standard)

Charging speed
    Depending on the receiver it can range from 500ma to 700ma (this is roughly the speed of usb charging or a little faster)

Does NFC Work?
    I can't vouch for ALL the Qi kits out there, but the Yijieneng one that I do posses, works. Reference the above video to show that it works.

Available Products
    Wireless Charging Kits (This includes both receiver and charger):
    Yijieneng kit. Comes with a receiver pad that fits underneath the battery door and a transmitter.
    Warning: I highly suggest getting just the receiver pad from them rather than the whole kit. Apparently the 2nd version seem to be problematic and requires an exact placement. You can find the transmitter at your local phone store like AT&T and Verizon or get it from sites like Amazon and such for the Energizer Qi charging pad.
    As for those who are asking how to purchase this, this is what some of the members have done.
    Just read through the thread and I think I might consider the Yijieneng receiver and charging pad. For those of you that have successfully purchased the kits from Yijieneng: How was the communication service and shipping promptness from them, and what's the price for the charging pad and the receiver (as they don't have any price listings on their site).
    Hi,
    Communication is slow, use messenger links on their site.
    Price of the unit is 55$ + shipping cost. Mine shipping was 30$ via DHL.
    Took them more than a week after completed payment to send the item. I was about to contact paypal to help me get my money back ...

The prices are from their pricelist which you can request and the prices are for "sample". Prices for bulk are more than half way down ...

With the pricelist they've send me 2 pdfs with company presentation. They seems to be big oem manufacturer for the most of QI enabled charging pads (incl energizer). But this is only if you can trust what is written in presentation pdfs and in my experience with Chinese companies like this is that the truth in presentations is less than 40% ....

Zens wireless charger
    . They sell the whole kit for something around $80 or $90 (I think). Comes with a case and transmitter.

Droidax EzyCharge
    Here's the link to their review: http://www.androidunite.com/2012/11/15/droidax-ezycharge-wireless-charger-for-galaxy-s3/
    Comes with a case and transmitter.

Speed
    New HK brand. Seems to have a full kit available. Receiver backing goes for ~25 USD (208 HK$). Transmitter goes for ~$50 (388 HK$).
    http://www.speed-charger.com/en/home

Disclaimer: Touchstone, Qi, and Powermat are not compatible with each other. As of this edit (12/15/2012), none of these charging standards and their products will work with the other's product no matter what anyone tells you. In the future, there might be a universal charger, but right now, none exist.

Kits to AVOID
    Kaneda Wireless Powerbank
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=35679928&postcount=125

EDIT: Added some extra info

EDIT 2: There are many members who have asked me where I got this kit from and the best I can and am allowed to disclose is that you would have to look up the manufacturer and contact them yourself. As far as I was reading, various members have actually directly contacted the manufacturer through their website and did their own transaction there. I personally have not done it before so I can not guarantee anything. I also do not know how much they charge nor do I know what kind of payment they take so your best bet is to talk to them. I only have this one kit that I have shown in the video and no it will not be sold to anyone (I like it too much and use it too much for me to even think about giving it up)

EDIT 3: Added info on other Qi chargers. Will add more info and pictures of other chargers and/or receivers as I find them.
    EDIT 4: added more info based on what I missed previously .
    EDIT 5: Added a Kits to avoid section.
    EDIT 6: Added warning on 2nd gen Yijieneng transmitter issue. Added new kit
    There were a couple of threads pop up about the Qi wireless charging. Unfortunately, they turned out to be members (not just one) just trying to sell their products. This will serve as an official discussion thread about the Qi Wireless Charging System for people with inquiries about it. You may post a review video if you have the system, but we will be watching closely. If we see that you are trying to run a business off of XDA's back, you will be infracted/banned for good. XDA is not a place to promote your business. Part 11 of the forum rules:

11. Don’t post with the intention of selling something.
    Don’t use XDA to advertise your product or service. Proprietors of for-pay products or services, may use XDA to get feedback, provide beta access, or a free version of their product for XDA users and offer support, but not to post with the intention of selling. This includes promoting sites similar/substantially similar to XDA-Developers.com.
    Do not post press releases, announcements, links to trial software, or commercial services. unless you’re posting an exclusive release for XDA-Developers.com.
    Encouraging members to participate in forum activities on other phone related sites is prohibited.
    Off-site downloads are permitted if the site is non-commercial and does not require registration.
    Off-site downloads from sites requiring registration are NOT encouraged but may be permitted if the following conditions are met:
    A) the site belongs to a member of XDA-Developers with at least 1500 posts and 2 years membership who actively maintains XDA-Developers' support thread(s) / posts, related to the download,
    B) the site is a relatively small personal website without commercial advertising/links (i.e. not a competitor forum-based site with purposes and aims similar to those of XDA-Developers.com.)

So please keep this in mind while you discuss it. Have a good time guys!
    What!!! I don't know what to think!! I am beyond frustrated with searching for a more affordable version. Please, keep us all updated if it actually arrives.

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

Please, don't tease me, lol! Sounds to good to be true.

I just received it, charging the powerbank at the moment, will comment on it later.

All I can say is dont buy it, the unit is a true 5000mAh, but the battery is cheap, the coil inside the powerbank is not a proper qi coil, but a nornal transformer coil, the magnet is weak, so i'm going to mod it to see if i can get it to work better, oh and the s3 back cover was DOA.

couldn't be bothered to send it back, just call it a USD 35 loss.

Due to the constant reporting of this thread due to allegations of users selling items, I have no alternative other than to close this thread. We do not have the resources to watch this thread 24/7 and review every post made.

The information contained in post 2 will remain as a potential guide for buyers of wireless charging solutions.
    At this point the thread will remain stuck, and no other Qi, PowerMat or other wireless charging threads may be opened.
    Any found will be deleted/closed.

Thanks for your understanding.
    No prob.

i apologize. it was alot of posts to go through and I did let a few slip through as I tried to update it. i'll do it tonight when I get home.
    thanks for the heads up.

@sircody - Why don't you just post your own thread regards the safety standards Qi or Powermat. Just stop mess either this Qi and Powermat thread. We already gave the facts Qi comparable works well with the Yijieneng pad and you are freaking paranoid over the safety by using standards electronics design prevent fire quotes.