[APP][4.1+] Save your battery power with Pixel Battery Saver (Pixel Overlay App)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

disip

Jan 31, 2011
Gdańsk
Yup, I recommend this one too... :)

To the moderator - because of the fact I am not the app owner anymore and I am not responsible for anything about the app - please remove this thread, I don't want it to be linked with me.
Thanks

piskor

Oct 9, 2010
Version from new dev available on PlayStore have new permissions comparing to latest disip 2.0.1 version
com.android.browser.permission.READ_HISTORY_BOOKMARKS (read Browser's history and bookmarks)
com.android.browser.permission.WRITE_HISTORY_BOOKMARKS (write Browser's history and bookmarks)
com.android.launcher.permission.INSTALL_SHORTCUT (Unknown permission from android reference)
com.android.launcher.permission.UNINSTALL_SHORTCUT (Unknown permission from android reference)
Version 2.0.1 was uploaded by me in the thread http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=58167970&postcount=116
I'm still using it

Thanks @disip for your work

Reactions: disip

Maphack

Jan 18, 2011
Do not accidentally put that app to set on boot while keeping the old pixel app also on boot. You'll just get a black screen until you can act fast enough to uninstall one or the other or something similar.

Is that new app really better? I'm using the app before the anti virus update. The new app kept force closing whenever I'd change from the default mesh

Just a heads up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

bamsbamx

Aug 2, 2011
Bilbo
livenfun.com
Do not accidentally put that app to set on boot while keeping the old pixel app also on boot. You'll just get a black screen until you can act fast enough to uninstall one or the other or something similar.

Is that new app really better? I'm using the app before the anti virus update. The new app kept force closing whenever I'd change from the default mesh

Just a heads up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

What new app are you talking about?

Reactions: zsandras
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Mod edit: The OP of this thread no longer is the app owner. Please do not seek help from him via PM or otherwise. If & when the current owner becomes a member of XDA this thread will become his and it will be re-opened.

Hi!

At the beggining - I'm sorry if you won't understand something. English isn't my main language, I still learn.

In some smartphones with AMOLED screen (such as Samsung Galaxy S4) black pixel = turned off pixel.

I've always been irritated because of the fact that our batteries aren't too great, but phone producers still produce their phones with hiper-resolution, which practically we cannot even see.
    I have invented something, that later I turned to real app.

70%20kopiuj.png

I call it Pixel Battery Saver, because it displays some kind of totally black mesh on the screen (you can change its density), so at least half of the pixels (or more) are turned off (so the screen consumes less energy!), while you are still able to read anything on your screen.

If you still don't understand, just take a look at the screenshots.

mesh.png

pixelbatterysaver.png

Screenshot_2014-09-02-20-21-50_framed.png

I've already created this app.
    You may download and test it for free,
    but if you really appreciate my work - I would be grateful for every donation (every single dollar would be helpful).

Let me know if you found any annoying bug or misspelling. This is my very first app - I still learn :)

Density of the mesh that I recommend is "High".

Users' tests
    Hey guys, I did a little testing (and I mean little) and here's what I found out.
    So I got the screen at maximum brightness and left the screen on with a screenshot I made of the playstore, for about half an hour and then I launched the pixel saver and let that for about half an hour as well. Here's my results. (the battery percentage is directly android's battery)

time-percentage (w/o app)
    1:50 - 53%
    2:02 - 51%
    2:11 - 48%
    2:21 - 45%

that would be roughly 8% of the battery in 31 mins.

then with the app on maximum mesh setting

2:22 - 45%
    2:31 - 44%
    2:43 - 42%
    2:51 - 41%
    3:01 - 39%

so that would be 6% in 41 mins.

if we were to take just half an hour of both runs (w/ & w/o the app), in about 30 mins, the screen would drain 8%, respectively 4% (with app), so that's basically double the battery, or half the drain. Again, this is a "rough" test, a quick test, just to get a glimpse of how good this app is.

Here's the screenshot: *url * dropbox.com/s/tczkg3u5y4y8sni/max%20payne.png?dl=0 *url*
    and pixelated: *url* dropbox.com/s/2fu7qf1ez2w90d1/max%20pixel.png?dl=0 *url*

if you zoom in the pixelated one you can actually see the pixels (I think those are real pixels, I don't know for sure, lol ) and the 2 pixel gap between them.
    ---------

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 (INT)
    ROM:CM11 - m9
    Kernel:Googy-Max2
    CPU:400-1600 ("interactive" governor)
    GPU:200-700
    ART runtime

-------

Hope this helps in any way.

:D
    Similar to guky667's post about battery usage, I did my own quick run and here's the summary. What is surprising for me was that Medium density vs Highest density draw ~same battery life. I might do a second round of testing to confirm the mesh density and battery drain.

--- RESULTS ---

Common Assumptions
    -Phone in airplane mode
    -Screen = Max Brightness
    -Screen has Whatsapp chat as the static image (black bg, colorful boxes, bottom grey typing bar, top green/gray bar for contact)

Case 1 = NO FILTER
    7:50 = 62%
    8:20 = 55%
    7% in 30 min OR 14% in 60 min

Case 2 = Gray filter from GS5 UPSM
    8:20 = 54%
    8:50 = 49%
    6% in 30 min OR 12% in 60 min

Case 3 = Pixel Mode (Medium = Usable still, sharpness is gone around edges)
    8:50 = 48%
    9:20 = 44%
    4% in 30 min OR 8% in 60 min

Case 4 = Pixel Mode (Highest = Very pixelated)
    9:21 = 44%
    9:51 = 40%
    4% in 30 min OR 8% in 60 min

--- END of RESULTS ---

--- Retested results ---
    Case 3 = Pixel Mode (Medium = Usable still, sharpness is gone around edges)
    19:09 = 63%
    19:39 = 58%
    5% in 30 min OR 10% in 60 min

Case 4 = Pixel Mode (Highest = Very pixelated)
    18:39 = 69%
    19:09 = 63%
    6% in 30 min OR 12% in 60 min
    --- End of Test #2 ---

FAQ in post #3.

Changelog in post #2.

Download version 1.3.1 for free:
    This program is COMPLETELY USELESS. First, displaying overlay transparent windows loads your CPU and GPU. Second, this program holds a 100% wakelock and consumes up to 10% per hour with screen off. Third, to compensate black pixels, we need to increase brightness, therefore to increase consumption. And some kernels increase it automatically in such cases (it's called content adaptive brightness). Fourth, overlay windows are a critical security breach. Fifth, on modern smartphones the display is not the most heavy consumer. Pay attention to your 3G mode and CPU frequency settings, decreasing the max frequency by 20% increases the screen-on time up to 1.5 times.
    PS, switching off a fixed set of pixels on an AMOLED display leads to decreased wear of these pixels. And when you ultimately disable this program, you'll see a bright net of pixels on your screen.
    PPS, overlay windows disable APK installing and some other critical system setting, it is by design and cannot be changed. To install an APK, first disable this program then enable it after installing. Or do not enable at all, just move your brightness slider one or two notches lower.

Someone needs a cookie to take the rage down a notch

Your "facts" are wrong. I suggest you do some research about smartphones, amoled screens, and in fact everything, and i mean everything, you mention as you dont have enough knowledge to go making statements here.

I wont debunk everything you post, but the following is quite simply ludicrous:

Second, this program holds a 100% wakelock and consumes up to 10% per hour with screen off

Really, please do not post such insane theories
    2nd run of testing

Ok, so I did a second run of testing, suming about 4.5 hours of testing. First I'll post the results and then other data.

The app saves battery only when the mesh is on. If the app is running in the background with the screen on and mesh off it will actually drain a little of the battery more (9.5% drain, as I've calculated). Running through the low, medium, and max settings the gains are 3.4%, 20.8% and 93.3%.

So, the way i've tested it: *I'll put my phone specs at the end* Screen at maximum brightness left on for 30 mins to measure how much battery it would drain normally. I got 7% difference which would be 1% of battery drained per 4.14 minutes. Then with the app on but no mesh, and got 8% which means that it would take 3.75 mins to drain 1% battery (which would translate, with a little math, into a 9.5% battery drain). The rest on is %gain:

> At low settings I got about 7% which is just a little gain of 3.4%.
    > The medium setting gives a 20.8% gain (resulted from the 6% drain in 30 minutes and 5 minutes needed for a 1% drain).
    > And last the maximum setting would bring a gain of 93.3% to the battery, that's TWICE the battery life; 4% of the battery drained in 33 mins and 8.25 minutes required to drain 1% of the battery.

* I've also tested if the app drains any battery while the phone is in sleep and 2 hours of testing concluded that there's no perceived difference if the app is on or off; this means it doesn't drain any battery while in sleep.

* The conclusion would be that best results (in my case) for everyday saving would be on "high" setting, and if you really have to squeze the battery just put it on the highest and squint your eyes :))

* The whole "test" lasted about 4.5 hours. If you need more details PM me and I'll give you the text document in which I have all the data.

! Fun fact: having your phone at the lowest brightness setting with the app on the highest mesh setting V.S. your phone on maximum brightness without the app saves almost 180% of battery ! xD
    --------------
    My phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 (AMOLED screen; 1280x720 resolution)
    CPU: min=300MHz; max=1400MHz (Exynos 4412) - Governor: INTERACTIVE
    GPU:min=160MHz; max=700MHz (MALI 400MP)
    Runtime: ART
    Kernel: Googy-Max2
    ROM: CM11 (M9-snapshot)
    Root: yes
    Latest version

App is no longer available in play store. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.poveu.pixelbatterysaver link is dead
    Please find attached latest 2.0.1 version
    It is virusfree according to virustotal analyzis https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...31eba060d8b05176c9243c51/analysis/1421243400/
    Always use the latest version with fixed bugs and new options.

[CHANGELOG]

v2.0 (coming as far as it's possible - see below):
    - new option to automatically start service at specific battery level
    - hidden notification icon
    - option to detect package installer to prevent its bug (stops mesh activity when you're installing new app and starts it again when it's done)
    - new option to dim the screen (useful at night)
    - select between two navigation bar overlay modes: fully black and mesh
    - probably less memory usage due to better optimalization
    - tabbed app UI
    - small fixes
    - totally no ads
    and in the future - things from "TODO" (see at the bottom of this post)

Here's the current status of premium version:

The premium app is ready, but still in beta (some bugs may happen) BUT...
    I want this premium version to be paid (not much ofc!) - and making it possible is quite hard in my country (or even impossible in this case...), so I'm talking to my friend from Holland - he can help me with that (by creating the company in Holland, which is necessary to sell the apps). The problem is - we both don't know Holland's language.
    Is there anyone from Holland who could help and that I could speak in English with?

I'd love to publish the premium app as far as everything about the company is done.

v1.3.1:
    - new option to add the mesh to the navigation bar
    - small optimalization

v1.2.1:
    - fixed doubled mesh after reboot (black screen)
    - fixed unnecessary scrolling to the bottom ad

v1.2:
    - quickly show/hide the mesh with notification action
    - Ads. Sorry =)

v1.1.1:
    - shortcut to the donation page

v1.1:
    - new option to automatically start service on boot
    - small bugfixes

[TO DO]

- Widget

[KNOWN BUGS]

- I can't install any app (unable to tap Install button)
    > This bug is fixed in version 2.0 (added new option to prevent this) - see above