[SOLVED] Can't shut off the phone, it always turn on again

Search This thread

thiagodark

Nov 1, 2010
Old City-ES
well, i was following a thread about it, but i guess it was deleted cause it was in wrong area...

if a fix was found please tell me! =oP

it seems to be a commom issue: when i try to turn off the phone, it just turn on again...

what i've done until now: i was running cm7 and i believed it was a rom related issue, but i'm back to uk stock (1.32.405.6) and keep it with no root (just ship s-off that remains after flash ruu), and the problem remains, just take a little longer to turn on again... BUT, when i plug it into pc by usb cable it stays off, when i unplug it turns on again...

i'm tending to believe that's a hardware issue, maybe a short in phone plug, but in this case, it is the most commom issue that i've saw...

any idea is welcome

thanks...

Edit:
Okay Folks, looks like the "fix" was found. I made a little summary for the next generation! =oP

this weird issue happened due summer time changes (don't ask why), but after March 27 the phone simply didn't stay off, if you tried, it just turned on again.

The "fix" is:

- disable automatic hour update (just in case)
- remove battery and let it out for around 10 hours, then put it back and turn on!
- Hour and date may reset (or not)
- now you can reactivate automatic hour update if you want.
- the device just stays off properly again

credits for
XL3N7 that found the problem,
Rodomar705 that found how to fix in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1014520

And everyone else that probally lost every data (like me) so many times trying find out how to solve it. =oP

Last edited:

afilopou

Oct 21, 2010
Athens
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I really dont understand why the admins deleted and not removed the thread from the development section.

What really happens: I have my dhd with cm7 around two months now and i always flashed the nightlies.I know the issue, when the phone is powered off and plug a charger reboots in cwm recovery. I never had problem just to "power off" my phone and actually did that every night before going to bed (so i know that the "power off" used to work ok) .Two days ago i flashed RC3 , power off worked ok, then nightly 32 and next morning i had the issue.When i select to "power off", without any charger or usb connected , phone just reboots.Just to remind you that if the phone is powered off and you connect it to charger then the phone goes to cwm recovery!So i tried various combinations :

1. Back to stock 1.32 (both with img file and exe file). After that flashed 3.0.0.5 and the newer version of cwm
Phone powered off correcty and the vol down+power goes to hboot.After flashing cm7 problem appears again.
2. Also had a backup and load it (nightly from 16/02/11) but still the same problem.

Please devs tell me what kind of files you need in order to help me solving the issue.
Also i see posts from guys using other custom roms and having the same problem, so i dont really understand why the admins deleted last night the thread started in development section.
You guys using customs rom just check if your power off works and if you have problem write it here and hope not to be deleted.

@thiagodark I think you have to change a little bit thread's title

Last edited:

cesco89

Jul 13, 2010
same problem!!....i think is a bug of CWM...or there is a conflict between recovery and "idontknow"!!....

this situation is funny ... we are afraid to brick and our DHD doesn't want to turn off...:D:D:D

thiagodark

Nov 1, 2010
Old City-ES
well, i think my problem is a little different, cause i get this problem even after flash official ruu, i'm all stock right now and the phone keeps reboot when i try to power off. when i select "power off" with micro usb cable connected, it works okay, but when i disconnect, it power on again.

Also, sometimes when i try to power off with or without the micro usb connected, it just dies and the only way i can power on it again is by removing the battery.

suggest me a tittle and i change, as you can see, my engrish is not something i can proud myself! =oP

Last edited:

wjwj929658

Mar 30, 2011
same problem!!....i think is a bug of CWM...or there is a conflict between recovery and "idontknow"!!....

this situation is funny ... we are afraid to brick and our DHD doesn't want to turn off...:D:D:D

Yes,it must a bug of CWM 3.0.2.4r1,I hope they can fix it in a few days

Last edited:

XL3N7

Dec 31, 2006
Limassol
Ok, I think I have found the problem.

Go to settings --> Date & Time, untick the option to use network values and set the date somewhere before the 27th of March when the daylight changes took place. Reboot and power off. The phone should stay off (at least it did for me). Now power on, go to date & time settings and tick the option to use network times. Power off and it will probably come back on.

nobnut

Feb 27, 2010

Go to settings --> Date & Time, untick the option to use network values and set the date somewhere before the 27th of March when the daylight changes took place. Reboot and power off. The phone should stay off (at least it did for me). Now power on, go to date & time settings and tick the option to use network times. Power off and it will probably come back on.

Confirmed.

thiagodark

Nov 1, 2010
Old City-ES

WTF?!?! Worked here! :confused: :confused:

it doesn't make ANY sense for me!

and by the way: i don't even know what you mean by "daylight changes took place" =o)

wjwj929658

Mar 30, 2011

But why?I think it is not the best way to fix this bug.

afilopou

Oct 21, 2010
Athens
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Yes,it must a bug of CWM 3.0.2.4r1,I hope they can fix it in a few days

No its not a bug of 3.0.2.4 r1(i had 3.0.0.5 when problem appears). As i wrote everything worked perfect (cm7+cwm 3.0.0.5) till one morning (was on cm7 nightly 32+cwm 3.0.05) want to boot in bootloader, so i select to power off.After that never powered off.What makes me nervous is that i didnt install any appl or changed the cwm recovery version.Nothing like that.I always powered off my phone so i know that there is not cm7 nightly related.

So the big question is what changed in a few minutes?

What the f******k?????? Daylight? :))))))))))))

Confirmed working.Changed the date back to 03/26/2011

A guy mentioned that last night (about the daylight change) on the initial thread which admins decided to delete :mad:

Last edited:

XL3N7

Dec 31, 2006
Limassol
No its not a bug of 3.0.2.4 r1(i had 3.0.0.5 when problem appears). As i wrote everything worked perfect (cm7+cwm 3.0.0.5) till one morning (was on cm7 nightly 32+cwm 3.0.05) want to boot in bootloader, so i select to power off.After that never powered off.What makes me nervous is that i didnt install any appl or changed the cwm recovery version.Nothing like that.I always powered off my phone so i know that there is not cm7 nightly related.

So the big question is what changed in a few minutes?

The time has changed http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=12517111&postcount=6 :D:D

XL3N7

Dec 31, 2006
Limassol
I have no idea m8. I've just put 2 & 2 together. The issue first appeared shortly after the time change. Maybe a bug in htc's code? Surely not a cm thing. I have tried fastboot erase system -w and the problem was still there. I have also tried different radios, cwm versions and the issue is still there. Probably HTC. Hopefully one of the greater minds of this forum can pin point the issue.

Last edited:

nobnut

Feb 27, 2010
Perfectly good work around

Hi, If you want to, you can untick the setting in Date & Time and install Clocksync from the Market. Using this app you can sync your phone's time at whatever schedule you like to the atomic clock (it is much more accurate than HTC's provider).

This will enable you to shut down correctly and have accurate time displayed on your device.

You need root though.

Reactions: afilopou

thiagodark

Nov 1, 2010
Old City-ES
Hi, If you want to, you can untick the setting in Date & Time and install Clocksync from the Market. Using this app you can sync your phone's time at whatever schedule you like to the atomic clock (it is much more accurate than HTC's provider).

This will enable you to shut down correctly and have accurate time displayed on your device.

You need root though.

can't make it works here, what steps did you follow?

okay, i realised... i need root! =oP

rooted, but not getting make it works, could you guide me?!

Last edited:

nobnut

Feb 27, 2010
can't make it works here, what steps did you follow?

okay, i realised... i need root! =oP

rooted, but not getting make it works, could you guide me?!

Open Clocksync

Press menu button on phone

Press Settings

Enable > Tick

Interval > I chose 1 hour

detect Time Zone > Tick

Sync On boot > Tick

Restore permissions > Untick

(Everything else untick)

Press the back button top go to app

Press menu button

Press Synchonize

Grant Superuser permissions when prompted

:)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

well, i was following a thread about it, but i guess it was deleted cause it was in wrong area...

if a fix was found please tell me! =oP

it seems to be a commom issue: when i try to turn off the phone, it just turn on again...

what i've done until now: i was running cm7 and i believed it was a rom related issue, but i'm back to uk stock (1.32.405.6) and keep it with no root (just ship s-off that remains after flash ruu), and the problem remains, just take a little longer to turn on again... BUT, when i plug it into pc by usb cable it stays off, when i unplug it turns on again...

i'm tending to believe that's a hardware issue, maybe a short in phone plug, but in this case, it is the most commom issue that i've saw...

any idea is welcome

thanks...

Edit:
    Okay Folks, looks like the "fix" was found. I made a little summary for the next generation! =oP

this weird issue happened due summer time changes (don't ask why), but after March 27 the phone simply didn't stay off, if you tried, it just turned on again.

The "fix" is:

- disable automatic hour update (just in case)
    - remove battery and let it out for around 10 hours, then put it back and turn on!
    - Hour and date may reset (or not)
    - now you can reactivate automatic hour update if you want.
    - the device just stays off properly again

credits for
    XL3N7 that found the problem,
    Rodomar705 that found how to fix in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1014520

And everyone else that probally lost every data (like me) so many times trying find out how to solve it. =oP
    The following steps fix this issue for me:

- disable time/date auto update
    - set time/date on the 2011/03/26 02:00
    - wait some minutes (around 10 for me)
    - shutdown the phone (should not reboot, at least during the first 30-60 seconds of power off)
    - within 30 to 40 seconds after the poweroff take out the battery
    - put the battery back into the phone
    - wait some minutes (the phone should still be powered off)
    - power on the phone
    - enter your pin code
    - set the timezone to match your local area timezone
    - set the time/date autoupdate
    - go back to your launcher main screen
    - wait for the time update
    - wait some minutes (~5) after the time has been updated
    - power off the phone

The phone should stay off.

This was tested after a CM7 flash and works like a charm.
    I hope this will avoid people having to remove their battery for several hours.

Good luck.
    Perfectly good work around

You need root though.
    The following steps fix this issue for me:

- disable time/date auto update
    - set time/date on the 2011/03/26 02:00
    - wait some minutes (around 10 for me)
    - shutdown the phone (should not reboot, at least during the first 30-60 seconds of power off)
    - within 30 to 40 seconds after the poweroff take out the battery
    - put the battery back into the phone
    - wait some minutes (the phone should still be powered off)
    - power on the phone
    - enter your pin code
    - set the timezone to match your local area timezone
    - set the time/date autoupdate
    - go back to your launcher main screen
    - wait for the time update
    - wait some minutes (~5) after the time has been updated
    - power off the phone

The phone should stay off.

This was tested after a CM7 flash and works like a charm.
    I hope this will avoid people having to remove their battery for several hours.

Good luck.
    unfortunately, this method dosent works for me. But somebody else could try it. May be it works. Tonight, I'll try the method in #1 post .