[MTD/CWM] SGS4G TWRP Installer (Oct 13, 2012)

Search This thread

FBis251

Mar 21, 2011
www.fernandobarillas.com
presents.png

twrp_title.png

Since it was too much of a hassle to include TWRP with every CM7 release, I decided to make a CMW flashable installer for TWRP.

http://teamw.in/project/twrp2
Team Win Recovery Project 2.1, or twrp2 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. We started from the ground up by taking AOSP recovery and loading it with the standard recovery options, then added a lot of our own features. It’s a fully touch driven user interface – no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

twrp_notes.png

• When you flash a new ROM/boot.img after installing TWRP, if you do not select "Inject TWRP after install" you will go back to CWM!
  • It's easier to just keep the checkbox ticked (TWRP remembers if you tick it) and have TWRP re-inject itself after every ROM/boot.img flash.

twrp_instructions.png

1. Make sure you're on an MTD rom that's based on cm7 or an ICS rom
  2. Download sgs4g-mtd-twrp-installer.zip for CM7 or sgs4g-ics-twrp-2.2.0-installer.zip for ICS
  3. Reboot to recovery
  4. Flash the installer.zip you downloaded
  5. Enjoy! (After you reboot to recovery once more)

twrp_source.png

No link yet, but I will probably write a guide in the wiki on how to do it since you can build with almost no modification with how you build a CM7 boot.img

twrp_downloads_changelog.png

Oct 13, 2012
Updated to TWRP v2.2.2.1
sgs4g-ics-twrp-2.2.2.1-installer.zip (MD5: 2fccfd752936e7022896db6303663b0f)
Changelog from: http://teamw.in/project/twrp2
Significantly improved sd-ext handling (ext partitions on sdcards)
Changes to kinetic scrolling in file selectors
Fixed a problem with using periods in backup names
Fixed problems in XML layouts with mounting system and USB storage
Fixed a problem with unmounting a partition before formatting during restore
Add Jelly Bean decrypt support
Updated 320x480 theme to match others (thanks to Llewelyn)
Improve "symlinking" of /data/media to either /sdcard or /emmc
Added sanitizing of device IDs for invalid characters (thanks to bigbiff)
Fixed free space calculation when switching backup devices on /data/media devices
Fixed a problem with using OpenRecoveryScript to create a backup without providing a backup name

Jul 30, 2012
ICE CREAM SANDWICH (CM9/AOKP) Release
sgs4g-ics-twrp-2.2.0-installer.zip (MD5: c2be948473dd709ec9f38e9ec4156e63)

June 24, 2012
GINGERBREAD Release:
sgs4g-mtd-twrp-installer.zip (MD5: efa30628f760d49a41d8737eb999cc3d)

twrp_credits.png

• Dees-Troy (for helping me with TWRP)
  • Team Win (For making this awesome recovery)
  • smasher816 (For Team-Win-Recovery-Project-Samsung)
  • Team Acid for their awesome CM7 release

Last edited:

FBis251

Mar 21, 2011
www.fernandobarillas.com
Okay just another progress update. I just made a new build of TWRP using the Team Acid CM7 source tree and it appears to have worked fine. This means that it'll be easier to get updates out to you guys since I can build TWRP off the latest CM7/TeamAcid code.

I'll have to talk to bryan about how to integrate this into github to make it easier on other people to build. I want to share how to do this, but I need guidance first! Wait a few days and all you devs will get to play with the source for this :D

htaak

Aug 2, 2011
Ore Chasm - Pandora
Google Pixel 6
Yo FB,
Flashed over CM7 original R11. Rebooted into TWRP.
Backed up current ROM including cache and Android secures.
Flashed MIUI MTD Revenge using same steps listed for CWM only with TWRP leaving "inject TWRP" checked. ( factory reset, system format etc...all run as expected)
Boot MIUI MTD Revenge, everything is working, IMEI is fine.
Reboot to recovery from power menu, got hung up on old Team Acid logo.
Volume up/down + power into TWRP recovery, restore my previous backup. Reboot into CM7 R11, everything has been 100% restored. Hit XDA app button, leave comment.
Another great contribution man, this is very nice. The touch interface is very nice, I also think the battery % is a nice feature, along with the fact it takes you to your last folder (in my case ROMS) when you hit the install button. This even persists through reboots...very slick. Thanks man.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using XDA

Reactions: turtlepa

hechoen

May 7, 2011
FB

As always nice work. A CWM flashable. You really are to kind. And congrats on the RC status as well. You deserve it.

Reactions: FBis251

jigglynuts

Jan 21, 2011
Cincinnati
Congrats FB on RC! Awesome work. I thought that it would be coming soon.

TWRP is excellent. It is very user friendly and this flashable works wonders. I never thought a recovery could be so exciting!

On a side note, and sorry if this is not the place for it, but I have noticed it takes much longer to fix permissions with TWRP. Is this an isolated issue or is it just a result of TWRP?

Awesome work and thanks again for taking the time to help make the SGS4G even more amazing!

FBis251

Mar 21, 2011
www.fernandobarillas.com
jigglynuts said:
On a side note, and sorry if this is not the place for it, but I have noticed it takes much longer to fix permissions with TWRP. Is this an isolated issue or is it just a result of TWRP?

Hmm. I'm sure the script to fix permissions is bigger than cwm's. For cwm it's just a shell script that runs a bunch of chmod's, I'm not sure what twrp uses but I'll poke around in the source and ramdisk

Sent from my SGH-T959V

Reactions: jigglynuts

eollie

Mar 30, 2011
I noticed that it took longer but figured it was because they wanted to make sure it covered all bases.

mierkat09

Mar 25, 2012
I'm trying to put the ics ui in, but it's not working. I put the ui.zip in the twrp folder, but the ui is the same

mierkat09

Mar 25, 2012
I don't have a theme folder in the twrp folder though. Do i justmake a new folder and name it theme?

FBis251

Mar 21, 2011
www.fernandobarillas.com
Okay I made an update to this. The main change is that twrp now no longer extracts the installation zip into /tmp before installing it. Roms that were bigger than /tmp wouldn't flash correctly, but the new build fixes this.

You should grab it from the link in the OP. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    presents.png

twrp_title.png

Since it was too much of a hassle to include TWRP with every CM7 release, I decided to make a CMW flashable installer for TWRP.

http://teamw.in/project/twrp2
    Team Win Recovery Project 2.1, or twrp2 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. We started from the ground up by taking AOSP recovery and loading it with the standard recovery options, then added a lot of our own features. It’s a fully touch driven user interface – no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

twrp_notes.png

• When you flash a new ROM/boot.img after installing TWRP, if you do not select "Inject TWRP after install" you will go back to CWM!
    • It's easier to just keep the checkbox ticked (TWRP remembers if you tick it) and have TWRP re-inject itself after every ROM/boot.img flash.

twrp_instructions.png

1. Make sure you're on an MTD rom that's based on cm7 or an ICS rom
    2. Download sgs4g-mtd-twrp-installer.zip for CM7 or sgs4g-ics-twrp-2.2.0-installer.zip for ICS
    3. Reboot to recovery
    4. Flash the installer.zip you downloaded
    5. Enjoy! (After you reboot to recovery once more)

twrp_source.png

No link yet, but I will probably write a guide in the wiki on how to do it since you can build with almost no modification with how you build a CM7 boot.img

twrp_downloads_changelog.png

Oct 13, 2012
    Updated to TWRP v2.2.2.1
    Fixed free space calculation when switching backup devices on /data/media devices
    Fixed a problem with using OpenRecoveryScript to create a backup without providing a backup name

Jul 30, 2012
    ICE CREAM SANDWICH (CM9/AOKP) Release
    sgs4g-ics-twrp-2.2.0-installer.zip (MD5: c2be948473dd709ec9f38e9ec4156e63)

June 24, 2012
    GINGERBREAD Release:
    sgs4g-mtd-twrp-installer.zip (MD5: efa30628f760d49a41d8737eb999cc3d)

twrp_credits.png

• Dees-Troy (for helping me with TWRP)
    • Team Win (For making this awesome recovery)
    • smasher816 (For Team-Win-Recovery-Project-Samsung)
    • Team Acid for their awesome CM7 release
    Oct 13, 2012
    Updated to TWRP v2.2.2.1
    My favorite theme (so far):
    ICS/Cyan System Style Theme by gimpsta
    ss1.jpg
    ss2.jpg
    ss3.jpg
    Is there anyway to have TWRP on the current Aries based ROMs?

Beanstalk aries I put out a couple weeks ago has twrp

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda premium
    Is there anyway to have TWRP on the current Aries based ROMs?

Yes there is, but it will take cooperation from anyone building the kernels. ;). If any devs who are building the aries kernel are interested (particularly from Team Userdebug) do reply. I have a pull request for you.