Asus T100 hardware tear down

Search This thread

KoeWaffle

Oct 12, 2010
Since I can't post anywhere else for some reason, here goes my hardware tear down for the Asus T100 (T100TA for experts ;) ):

Visible chips on the T100TA mainboard Rev 2.0:

Amtel MXT1664TXES-C2U 1330B TW QLG9F (Touchscreen controls)
Broadcom BCM43241SFKFFBG TN1322 P24 294688 P3T (WiFi)
Phison PS2251-68-5 UO1329C D75J0.11AA (USB3.0 controller)
Realtek ALC5642 D2L87HI GD13F (Audio)
Winbond 250(Q)64FW1G 1329 6236 QP30003 (BIOS/UEFI)
Intel Q326A657 SR1M5 02962 '12 (the main cpu Z3740)
M F20 P02 CFQ0589 (No idea)
ITE IT8568VG 1331-AXO ZC0P1A (No idea)
SANDISK 9.15 XC4*00 SanDisk32G (The eMMC storage unit, 32GB version)

Camera module:
HannStar J 94V-0 E89382 1335 MV-4

Unnused connector J601 can be found on the camera module. Seems to be an USB connector.

Pictures of the hardware/inside: [NOT ALLOWED]

Got the hi-res versions stored locally, can't find a good place that doesn't rape the resolution / jpeg compression rate. Now, I was thinking the Winbond chip is most likely the PLL, isn't it? Should open the doors for some FSB tweaking. Another thing I couldn't find was the recovery USB storage... 7GB according to the hardware manager of Windows 8.1 . Unfortunately it uses 'current read-only state: true' which makes it impossible to use it as extra storage (try it with diskpart for yourselves).

Also, for other Dutch users, this is my main Dutch thread on Tweakers: [NOT ALLOWED].

If people can help out with identifying the chips / giving additional information it would be greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:

paperWastage

Mar 18, 2009
NJ
thanks for the teardown...

un-hidden links:

http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_messages/1567250/2
http://imgur.com/a/u6Uni

wouldn't mind rehosting the higher-quality image links .. feel free to PM to me

Amtel MXT1664TXES-C2U 1330B TW QLG9F <- touchscreen controller
Broadcom BCM43241SFKFFBG TN1322 P24 294688 P3T (WiFi) <- mounted via SDIO, is linux-kernel supported
Phison PS2251-68-5 UO1329C D75J0.11AA (No idea) <- USB 3.0 to flash microcontroller... probably for eMMC
Winbond 250(Q)64FW1G 1329 6236 QP30003 (PLL?)

Camera module:
HannStar J 94V-0 E89382 1335 MV-4 <- think it's a Sony IMX 175 senor. need to check. maybe a Aptina mt9m114 instead

Unnused connector J601 can be found on the camera module. Seems to be an USB connector.
cm3218x capella micro light sensor

unused connector would be nice. I have a small microSDXC USB reader, looking through your pics to see if there's any space to fit it there

would like to see the battery model number. C12N1320 ?

Last edited:

paperWastage

Mar 18, 2009
NJ
C12N1320 Yes, or CL12NL320, but I am pretty sure they would use "L" instead of "l" then. As you probably have seen, it has two batteries connected to each other. How exactly I don't know, didn't want to remove the black cover sticker. :silly:

thanks for the info

how did you take apart the tablet? guitar pick around the screen? do I see some free space on the bottom right corner?

o1HpvU9l.jpg

Starfury

Feb 10, 2007
Is the RAM socketed or is it non-removable as my only issue is the 2Gb (1.89Gb usable) RAM available.

KoeWaffle

Oct 12, 2010
How did you take apart the tablet? guitar pick around the screen? do I see some free space on the bottom right corner?
I used some tools that were leftovers of my HTC Leo / HD2 days. Pretty much a guitar pick, but it might be a little thinner. I recommend starting on top, it goes the easiest loose there. The screen side is hooked to the backside, so best to pull the backplate a little outwards when removing, it will snap the hooks loose. For the dock, I will upload hires pictures soon of its contents, I did pull it apart before but my phone doesn't make great photos: imgur dot com slash a slash NQdTb http://imgur.com/a/NQdTb

Ricky0817

Dec 3, 2013
SANDISK parts

Hi, I would like to know the appropriate part no. of Sandisk 32G. Could you pls see and let me know it ?
I may help you to identify of the specification in detail.

Thanks, Ricky:laugh:

AceTK

Apr 21, 2010
Its a Sandisk SEM64G or 32G if you have the 32gb. Just reflashed mine from the stock bios to 220 and now everything is working great and no more bsod while using adobe flash or gaming in d3d. Thanks for those pictures they have saved me the hassle of looking to see if a ram upgrade to 4gb is possible and its not. No matter around october 2014 there should be something better to trade up to with hopefully 4gb and 128gb ssd minimum.

dimarad

Dec 17, 2013
. Another thing I couldn't find was the recovery USB storage... 7GB according to the hardware manager of Windows 8.1 . Unfortunately it uses 'current read-only state: true' which makes it impossible to use it as extra storage

If people can help out with identifying the chips / giving additional information it would be greatly appreciated :)
Thank you very much for your information.I think that recovery USB storage is located here (marked on the attached picture). Can you please make the pictures of this area and connector J601 with higher resolution
Phison PS2251-68-5 is a controller usb 2.0 is used in flash drives. i think it is a controller for recovery USB storage

Last edited:

snoozii

Dec 5, 2008
I used some tools that were leftovers of my HTC Leo / HD2 days. Pretty much a guitar pick, but it might be a little thinner. I recommend starting on top, it goes the easiest loose there. The screen side is hooked to the backside, so best to pull the backplate a little outwards when removing, it will snap the hooks loose. For the dock, I will upload hires pictures soon of its contents, I did pull it apart before but my phone doesn't make great photos: imgur dot com slash a slash NQdTb http://imgur.com/a/NQdTb

It seems there is a non USA model of this T100TA that has a 500GB hard drive inside the dock. Would a mod be possible for the USA version?

KoeWaffle

Oct 12, 2010
It seems there is a non USA model of this T100TA that has a 500GB hard drive inside the dock. Would a mod be possible for the USA version?

I think so. They could have soldered it to the board though... I haven't seen a teardown of a 500GB model, would love to see what is inside too! Maybe it can even help us Europeans to mod ours to have the same capabilities :good:.

Alex Atkin UK

Jan 4, 2007
Anyone know where the WiFi antenna is?

I'm really impressed with how well this tablet hold on to my WiFi signal across the road. I have a Yagi and a panel antenna beaming through tree branches, a balcony and a brick wall. Despite all this it doesn't seem to struggle to hold on any worse than my laptop did which had two antenna. You would think this low power chip would perform much much worse.

Even speed wise considering this doesn't have MIMO so the link speed is down from 150Mbit to 64Mbit, real-world speed is not as much of a reduction as I thought it might be when I realised it didn't do MIMO.
I have even seen this thing get 20Mbit across the road where my laptop used to peak around 30Mbit, although on average I get nearer 5Mbit now whereas the laptop did 10-20Mbit more frequently.

I did try an external mini USB adapter on the T100, didn't work any better even though THAT was linked at 150Mbit and the built-in only does 64MBit.

As for the HDD model, I read on another forum that its definitely in the keyboard and a different board to the normal one. Its interesting though, makes you wonder if it uses a hub or are there actually spare connectors on the dock?

What I personally would like is a dock adapter you can use while still in tablet mode that just adds the USB 3.0 port. If we are REALLY lucky maybe someone will trace the dock connector?

Last edited:

sarman_1998

Jan 1, 2014
Any hint of a connector for the HD in the dock?

Thanks for the teardown info. As far as I've found these are the only ones on the web so far.

Its hard for me to see from the pictures. Did you see any hint of what/where the HD would connect in the dock?

Thanks,
Eric

Alex Atkin UK

Jan 4, 2007
Thanks for the teardown info. As far as I've found these are the only ones on the web so far.

Its hard for me to see from the pictures. Did you see any hint of what/where the HD would connect in the dock?

Thanks,
Eric

The HDD dock keyboard has a different PCB to the normal keyboard. Below is the normal one taken from http://www.transformerforums.com/forum/asus-transformer-book-t100/39507-inside-t100-base.html:

What I'm curious about is if the whole dock runs off a single USB 3.0 port or does the dock connector have several ports?
It would seem unlikely that its run off a hub as many USB 3.0 devices have issues if not run directly from a native port and I notice my USB 3.0 HDD works fine.

Last edited:

sarman_1998

Jan 1, 2014
The HDD dock keyboard has a different PCB to the normal keyboard. Below is the normal one taken from http://www.transformerforums.com/forum/asus-transformer-book-t100/39507-inside-t100-base.html:
What I'm curious about is if the whole dock runs off a single USB 3.0 port or does the dock connector have several ports?
It would seem unlikely that its run off a hub as many USB 3.0 devices have issues if not run directly from a native port and I notice my USB 3.0 HDD works fine.

I took a look on mine and windows doesn’t show any USB 3 hub between my USB 3 thumb drive and the Root Hub, so I’d say there isn’t a hub there. I also did a little digging to make sure there wasn’t an embedded hub in there which might show up differently. I looked at the xHCI extended capability values and the host controller is advertising 6 USB 2 ports and 1 USB 3 port. That makes me even more curious what protocol will be used to connect to the HD in the dock. Hope it’s not USB 2.0.

If you go into windows device manager, go to the view menu and change it to "view by connection" you can then browse the device tree in a hierarchical way that will show you what is connected to what.
In Windows 8/8.1, if you find your external HD in device manager BEFORE you switch to “View by Connection” then when you switch the tree will automatically expand to show it. Under the xHCI controller there will always be a Root Hub listed. If you HD shows connected directly to that then there is no hub.

What chips are on the pcb in the dock?

Eric

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since I can't post anywhere else for some reason, here goes my hardware tear down for the Asus T100 (T100TA for experts ;) ):

Visible chips on the T100TA mainboard Rev 2.0:

Amtel MXT1664TXES-C2U 1330B TW QLG9F (Touchscreen controls)
    Broadcom BCM43241SFKFFBG TN1322 P24 294688 P3T (WiFi)
    Phison PS2251-68-5 UO1329C D75J0.11AA (USB3.0 controller)
    Winbond 250(Q)64FW1G 1329 6236 QP30003 (BIOS/UEFI)

Camera module:
    HannStar J 94V-0 E89382 1335 MV-4

Pictures of the hardware/inside: [NOT ALLOWED]

Got the hi-res versions stored locally, can't find a good place that doesn't rape the resolution / jpeg compression rate. Now, I was thinking the Winbond chip is most likely the PLL, isn't it? Should open the doors for some FSB tweaking. Another thing I couldn't find was the recovery USB storage... 7GB according to the hardware manager of Windows 8.1 . Unfortunately it uses 'current read-only state: true' which makes it impossible to use it as extra storage (try it with diskpart for yourselves).

Also, for other Dutch users, this is my main Dutch thread on Tweakers: [NOT ALLOWED].

How did you take apart the tablet? guitar pick around the screen? do I see some free space on the bottom right corner?
    Easily solved:

Thanks for these, very useful.

I'm disappointed it uses a USB 3.0 hub though as that could seriously break compatibility with some hardware. Its also a shame that HAVING a USB 3.0 hub in there they didn't route those ports somewhere useful. I'm guessing that was for power reasons as with the internal HDD and hub that leaves only around 700mA spare which would be JUST enough for a self powered external HDD on the USB 3.0 port.
    some pair of BALLS

That is NOT a T100, peckerhead! It's a T200, logging in as "T100".... real friggin' cute. :mad:

Setfsb will respond to the FIRST clock chip of the list inside the program.
    So obviously, Asus (Chinglish for ASSES) know all about setfsb and put something in the system to pass the first clock value in the list. Very doable since the putz who created setfsb has not updated the database since 2013, that program is as USELESS as T|Ts on a bull!

WHERE on that setfsb website do you see "ASUS T100" or "ASUS T200" called out in the PLL database? NOWHERE! That website also requests make, model and PLL part number so they can create an entry for the chip, ASUS T100 does not exist on that site, thus this machine has NEVER been overclocked by anyone, anywhere!

Matter of fact; I am pretty sure it's actually a VIRUS! As prior poster BEGS you to come try it, yet slipped with his benchmarking post of over 3 GHz.

13.plala.or.jp/setfsb THIS IS A VIRUS, prior poster PROVES IT.

I realized by the THIRD page you nerds weren't gonna get anywhere. thank God I got a 30 day return policy, this is NOT A GAMING MACHINE! I cannot even run Rogue leader using Dolphin emulator! This P.O.S. needs at least 4 gigs of ram PLUS switches in bios to reserve set amounts of memory for graphics use only. Twinhead did that and it worked very well on an A2010 I had, plus their CPU is SOCKETED! You FOOLS were looking for SOCKETS in a tablet, where the name of the game is WEIGHT LOSS, how damn stupid can you get anyway?

Nerd is one thing but stupid is a whole 'nother story :eek:
    Oh and Windows 10 SUCKS. I'm sticking with Xp because a virus won't know what to do in an obsolete operating system.

Oh and ANOTHER thing with this CRAPPY CHINESE MESS: It seems (as usual) they haven't solved the jumping cursor issue which is caused by the keyboard strobe chip underneath the palmrest overheating. Since Y2K, this has been a problem on ALL brands of laptops and by 2015, it hasn't been solved YET? Every laptop I ever owned under a 14" screen had the same cursor jumping problem: HEAT BUILDUP... which is a good argument for not overclocking these little *****es! Thus, I have NO faith in the hardware and even LESS in my BS'ing species!

Ciao
    if the storage went read only on you it is fried.

There's a limit to how many writes/rewrites a storage chip can do before the microscopic tabs break. When enough break, the drive flags itself as read only to preserve what data remains.