Fiio E07k works with the Xperia Z Ultra

Search This thread

SPtheALIEN

Mar 15, 2011
San Diego
I finally got around to trying it out and seeing if it would work.

It does.

Micro USB OTG to mini USB cable. It's not pretty, and I know some people on ebay make it, but I have lots of these individual cables around, so I figured I'd Frankenstein then together.

Works awesomely. Stock, unrooted phone. Also works with my Xperia ZL.

7yhe2uhy.jpg

ysyhaveb.jpg

Sent from my C6806 using Tapatalk

Reactions: shaolin95

SPtheALIEN

Mar 15, 2011
San Diego
To clarify, when I said people in eBay make it, I was referring to a single cable with a micro on one side and a mini on the other. I haven't tested to see if those work.

SPtheALIEN

Mar 15, 2011
San Diego
Takes the audio processing away from the phone and also amplifies the headphones. Cleaner and more powerful sound.

shaolin95

Apr 5, 2010
Utah
Thanks a lot for the pics! I will make a decision today about which one to buy.
When using as a DAC, do you still get the Sound Enhancements/X-Clarity options to work or only the dac settings work at that time?

ubertwik

May 7, 2011
I have fiio e6 about 2 yrs. Now I needed an upgrade I'm about to get the e17. Want to try dac. Like also to know if the sound enhancement works on dac.

Sent from my C6833 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

julz

Mar 17, 2007
www.julianjwong.com
nice find! Alternatively a cheaper, more portable option might be to pick up a bluetooth receiver with audio out that supports APTX. That way it gives you wireless audio that is higher fidelity and bypasses the Xperia Z Ultra's internal DAC. The BlueAnt bluetooth streamer here looks good and is pretty cheap at ~$29. You can just get rid of the crappy earphones it comes with and use your own. However one of the reasons for using a headphone amp like the Fiio is to also boost the output to drive certain headphones that need it.
More on aptX here

You can always get some very nice Harmon Kardon headphones with aptX built in like these

shaolin95

Apr 5, 2010
Utah
The BlueAnt Ribbon is the one I have and suggested it to a user in another thread here.

Can you please test the Sound Enhancement/X-Clarity features with the DAC to see if they still do anything to the signal?
I would think they wont work but not sure.

Also I read this at headfi from a FiiO rep
"Also , we will not suggest our users use our E7,E07K, or E17 work as extra DAC for your android phone, because all will consume power from your phones, the only difference is how many current. "
Since I use my phone on the dock that is not such a problem but still curious if this is real..not sure why it would need to draw more voltage from our phone.

SPtheALIEN

Mar 15, 2011
San Diego
I don't believe it works outside of the Walkman app.

That's OK, though, because I'd seems to crash the bass and make the highs far too shrill.

shaolin95

Apr 5, 2010
Utah
Good point. I guess all the controls I need will be in the E17 anyways.
I am thinking this could be a good OTG adapter to avoid a mess of cables, unless I find a right angle connector micro otg to mini that is.

SPtheALIEN

Mar 15, 2011
San Diego
This solution works so great. I would use it on an airplane to provide the headphones a little bit more power. The end result: batteries in the phone last longer and the sound is vastly improved.

Sent from my C6506 using Tapatalk

shaolin95

Apr 5, 2010
Utah
hahaha I just ordered a micro to micro OTG too (the E18 uses micro not mini) to get rid of the extensions crap lol

SPtheALIEN

Mar 15, 2011
San Diego
Yeah, letting the audio be handled by an offboard DAC is the way to go if you are sitting or walking around the house. For when I go on a jog, I use either the aptX adapter or for wired connections, the EO6.

westsider

Jan 15, 2008
And how big is The difference in sound quality?
I have xperia z ultra too and amping it with E12 for Focal Spirit Classic
I have considered to try E07k exactly the same way but am not sure about worthynes of this solution in sound quality point

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 PM ----------

Thanks a lot for the pics! I will make a decision today about which one to buy.
When using as a DAC, do you still get the Sound Enhancements/X-Clarity options to work or only the dac settings work at that time?

I cant get it...guys who need sony clarity x feat buy some external dac?
Why the hell?

Last edited by a moderator:

westsider

Jan 15, 2008
I apologise for that emotional expresion of mine

Could you please explain me.all the advantages that people enjoy from sony's clarity features?:)
And do.you consider using an external dac as a clever solution for case when your hearing tastes such feats as positive?

I somehow cannot connect sony xbass, clarity and suxh crappy things to something good sounding:) i dont mean connect in technical.way

Please, just explain me.that
Consider me knowing.nothing an.explain me.that all like i was 1000% noob please

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I finally got around to trying it out and seeing if it would work.

It does.

Micro USB OTG to mini USB cable. It's not pretty, and I know some people on ebay make it, but I have lots of these individual cables around, so I figured I'd Frankenstein then together.

Works awesomely. Stock, unrooted phone. Also works with my Xperia ZL.

7yhe2uhy.jpg

ysyhaveb.jpg

The BlueAnt Ribbon is the one I have and suggested it to a user in another thread here.