[Q] format() expects 5 args, got 3

Search This thread

enishi1357

Feb 19, 2014
Ok, so I want to flash my note 2 to a custom rom with note 3 s pen feature. I was inattentive and installed the following rom in the following order

DN3_v3.2_by_E-Team_(Vegeta_Edition)
Hurricane_V9.2_DDUENA1_MD5_BC19455598C33E9D4D93B5514B851EEB

it was then i realized the above rom is not for the sgh-t889 model and was for some other model. but by then it was too late. i tried to install the correct rom which is from the link : youtube.com/watch?v=qopRVFsJTiI
with this rom

Sky_Note_Air G1.5

but I kept on getting this error
"format() expects 5 args, got 3"

In Philz recovery, i do these following between each attempted flash.
recovery wipe data/factory reset and then clean to install a new rom
install zip and then choose the roms to install

the first time i flash DN3, it was successful but Sim does not work and also the s pen
and then i flashed hurricane and it also works but sim and s pen also does not work
after that the DN3 always freeze in the middle of installation particularly in the terms agreement's step
hurricane always flash successfully

I research this error but I am really confused. my hypothesis why i can't flash sky note is because i wiped the system in hurricane so the args was set to 3 and that may be why DN3 always freeze and why hurricane always work but not for sky note or any other t889 compatiable rom.

please help me. I really dont want to get a new phone if i can help

Double0EK

May 13, 2010
Im using DN3 on my T889. There are threads in the Q&A Section already regarding this.

But since im already here..
If you wish to continues to use DN3 on your Tmobile Note 2. You will need
1. Flash TMobiles newest radio. Which is the MK7. A simple search on various Roms OPs should help you find it.
2. If you havent updated to 4.3 officially then you'll need to flash 1 of the 3..
A. Devil Kernel
B. AGNi Kernel
C. Wifi Patch

Again...doing a little research on various Tmobile 4.3 Roms will help you out.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2582744

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2583209

Last edited:

enishi1357

Feb 19, 2014
no offense but ...

Im using DN3 on my T889. There are threads in the Q&A Section already regarding this.

But since im already here..
If you wish to continues to use DN3 on your Tmobile Note 2. You will need
1. Flash TMobiles newest radio. Which is the MK7. A simple search on various Roms OPs should help you find it.
2. If you havent updated to 4.3 officially then you'll need to flash 1 of the 3..
A. Devil Kernel
B. AGNi Kernel
C. Wifi Patch

Again...doing a little research on various Tmobile 4.3 Roms will help you out.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2582744

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2583209

No offense and I really appreciate your help but I have no idea what MK7 is. I am a noob at this and I really need to know what each item means especially since I don't know where to start in the first place.
I searched MK7 and all i get was support for other devices.

I used recovery on my note 2 to the official firmware which is 4.3 but I can't call (Baseband version is unknown).

I pretty much given up on getting note 3 s pen feature on my note 2 since all these is really difficult for me. So if i can just get back my ability to call and text (pretty much back to original state) would be great
I don't know what those links means. Can't you just point me to the links where i can download the items i need and give me the instruction?

I'm willing to give 20 or 40 bucks to the person (via paypal) who help me the most if that is allow.

enishi1357

Feb 19, 2014
This is S.W.A.R.M Rom. Its a debloated
T- Mobile 4.3 Rom. Read the very first post (we call it OP or Original Post).
Read it. Download everything it says to.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2564430

when i tried to flash that rom, i got the same error "expect 5 arg, got 3"
only the dn3 (which freezes) ; hurricane that flashes but can't call ; recovery to official 4.3 but can't call either seems to bypass that error.

enishi1357

Feb 19, 2014
ok, so i can always revert back to official 4.3 as a last resort

the tmobile modem cleared the call problem so that's good.
now i want to be able to install hurricane (since that's the only rom that has the note 3's s pen feature that was able to flash completely) with the s pen feature working (the pen can't move the screen at all).

so any ideas why the s pen doesnt work in hurricane?

Double0EK

May 13, 2010
I never tried hurricane. Only DN3 and it works flawlessly for me. Once the Rom and kernel settles you'll have less freezes or random reboots.
I did have one freeze today but it was my first one in 3 weeks and I was using my phone heavy.

Double0EK

May 13, 2010
DN3 screenshot with Air Command.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1392797408278.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1392797408278.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 92

enishi1357

Feb 19, 2014
i know what is the problem

Im using TWRP 2.6.0.3. I haven't updated my recovery since I flashed it.

all the roms are good.

the philz recovery is the culprit. after i flashed twrp i am able to flash dn3.1 with everything working (except the air command with the pen but that i can live without).

anyways thanks. to anyone with similar problems, always use twrp instead of philtz

dn3.1 can be install by itself but dn3.2 can't (need kernal to use pen but modem can't make phone make calls)

Do you know how to enable air command with s pen function (I know i have to hover on phone and press button, what i meant was is there a setting i have to enable or install something)?

Double0EK

May 13, 2010
I would suggest not to update to the 3.2. But it's up to you.

Then reflash the MK7 Modem and/or flash Devil Kernel if you need Wifi working.

And to enable Air Command: Settings > Controls and turn on the feature..