[Q] Nexus 5 display brightness issue I've seen with five different n5's!

Search This thread

m.vasquez009

Jul 10, 2012
Okay so I purchased two nexus 5's about two months ago for my girlfriend and I and it wasn't until yesterday that I had the phones side by side and I noticed that one of phones screens is significantly brighter and has richer colors than the other on the exact same brightness(100%) .. The whites are much whiter on mine as opposed to the other one just not looking as bright Same as colors to.. My friend just bought one last week and his has a dull screen and my other friends is a bright one like mine .. U probably wouldn't notice this unless u had two to compare... Had anyone else noticed this? I looked online and couldn't find anything about this.. Is this a manufacture defect? . I'm asking because I need to buy another and don't want to take the chance of getting one with a dull screen... Thanks!

dechronic

Dec 7, 2013
Okay so I purchased two nexus 5's about two months ago for my girlfriend and I and it wasn't until yesterday that I had the phones side by side and I noticed that one of phones screens is significantly brighter and has richer colors than the other on the exact same brightness(100%) .. The whites are much whiter on mine as opposed to the other one just not looking as bright Same as colors to.. My friend just bought one last week and his has a dull screen and my other friends is a bright one like mine .. U probably wouldn't notice this unless u had two to compare... Had anyone else noticed this? I looked online and couldn't find anything about this.. Is this a manufacture defect? . I'm asking because I need to buy another and don't want to take the chance of getting one with a dull screen... Thanks!

I have a friend with one that I can check against on Thursday night to let you know what I find.
I understand that there were (at least) two different batches of Nexus 5s.
The one that was released later had larger holes for the mic and speaker and firmer buttons. I am not sure if that is why one is also brighter too.

Were the phones bought at the same time or a couple of months apart?
Which one was brighter? The more recent one or the older one?

deeren

Nov 30, 2008
Vaud
There is only one hardware revision for the nexus 5. The larger holes and firmer buttons are just rumors. It just happened to be pure coincidence. I have 2 n5 in the house( one of which is manufactured in February and it has small speaker holes) and they have both different screens as you mentioned. It is not a manufacturing defect. As a matter of fact, all the screens are not the same. Mine has a yellower tint to it but is also brighter. I just use Franco's app to change it to the color I want. Simple.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

anthonyly

Apr 20, 2012
My first Nexus I was in the first batch could be dimmed till you could almost see nothing using elemental kernel but this Nexus 5 the newer one I just this week with bigger holes and nicer feeling buttons can't not even as close using same kernel

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

m.vasquez009

Jul 10, 2012
I have a friend with one that I can check against on Thursday night to let you know what I find.
I understand that there were (at least) two different batches of Nexus 5s.
The one that was released later had larger holes for the mic and speaker and firmer buttons. I am not sure if that is why one is also brighter too.

Were the phones bought at the same time or a couple of months apart?
Which one was brighter? The more recent one or the older one?

The two that I own I bought the day they were released and one of those is bright while the other is dim.. And the ones that my buddies own are only 2 weeks old and even theirs are different one is dull while the other is bright.. But Yah please let me know what u find out when u compare it to your friends

dechronic

Dec 7, 2013
The two that I own I bought the day they were released and one of those is bright while the other is dim.. And the ones that my buddies own are only 2 weeks old and even theirs are different one is dull while the other is bright.. But Yah please let me know what u find out when u compare it to your friends

I didn't get to see him last night, maybe this weekend. But I will let you know when I compare them though.

dechronic

Dec 7, 2013
I was able to compare the phones on Monday and they appear to have the same brightness level. He is using stock Kit Kat and I am using Beanstalk ROM on mine and no difference was seen.

Maybe a couple of back lights for the screen are faulty on the dimmer phone??

Did anyone at Google support give any explanations?