Turning GPRS off after a session

Search This thread

mikeiw

Oct 12, 2005
UK
Being the tight wad that I am, I wanted to know how I turn off the GPRS after a session on my K-JAM. I've noticed that after I've been on internet explorer for example, the little G icon with the opposing arrows stays there, where the big [G] icon normally is.

I'm concerned that this might cost me money, and/or battery life by leaving it on, but I can't seem to find an option where I can terminate the GPRS..

1st post, so please excuse my ignorance - never used GPRS before. :wink:

wardy

Jun 8, 2005
Just keep your finger on the red end key when you have finished browsing.

wardy

Jun 8, 2005
Just keep your finger pressed on the red end key when you have finished browsing.

mikeiw

Oct 12, 2005
UK
Excellent - such a good tip, you posted it twice ;)

I shall try that next time I'm browsing. Taa :D

mikeiw

Oct 12, 2005
UK
It's probably re-enabling because something's requesting an internet connection. I get that when I lose connection to my WLAN at home. It drops the WLAN and then dials up GPRS. I suppose the only way of stopping this happening would be to delete the connection from your settings. Not something you should approach light-heartedly however....

ccsnet

Aug 4, 2005
www.letscommunicate.co.uk
mikeiw said:
It's probably re-enabling because something's requesting an internet connection. I get that when I lose connection to my WLAN at home. It drops the WLAN and then dials up GPRS. I suppose the only way of stopping this happening would be to delete the connection from your settings. Not something you should approach light-heartedly however....
Thats exactly it....

Not a bug but a design pain...

Terran

ccsnet

Aug 4, 2005
mikeiw said:
What about re-assiging the default GPRS connection - that was some thing else I was looking for ?

Terran

ccsnet

Aug 4, 2005
Just done this.. under start / settings / connections / connections - changed mine to dial com1 with the number 1 instead of GPRS... should work for the mo - quick change.

Although not neat it works - I just hope a better solution is found.

Terran

vijay555

Retired Moderator
Jun 4, 2005
Witch Space
www.vijay555.com
I did the same thing, just corrupt your gprs connection settings by inserting an extra digit or something, then it won't connect up. This could probably be toggled by a shortcut to a registry setting.

This is useful with Newsbreak, since it attempts to download pictures from the connection on every story (on Gizmodo). So, I made a new net setting, VJSpoof, and just use that when i'm offline. No more bleating.

V

ccsnet

Aug 4, 2005
vijay555 said:
I did the same thing, just corrupt your gprs connection settings by inserting an extra digit or something, then it won't connect up. This could probably be toggled by a shortcut to a registry setting.

This is useful with Newsbreak, since it attempts to download pictures from the connection on every story (on Gizmodo). So, I made a new net setting, VJSpoof, and just use that when i'm offline. No more bleating.

V
Any one fany writing a today plugin ?

Terran