[Q] [RESOLVED] Bootloader / Kernel / Charging Issues

Search This thread

jparnell8839

Jul 18, 2012
Tunnel Hill, GA
Ok, so I'm not new to Samsungs and I'm not new to modding, but the Note 2 is different from any experience I've ever had. I've had a SGS2, SGS Blaze 4G, two different SGS3's (i747 and i9300), and now the i317.

So, here's the issue. I got the phone off Swappa and it was pre-rooted with a custom recovery already. So it really wasn't much to upgrade to TWRP 2.7 and flash CM11. All's good for the next two weeks. Enter stage left: busted USB cable.

I come home from work yesterday to find my dog chewed my charger. I have more at work, doesn't help me at home (45 minute commute). Naturally, seeing as how I haven't charged in a couple days, it died.

Got to work this morning, plugged it into the charger aaaannnddd nada. No charge. I figure, "I remember reading about this in the DN3 thread!" So I borrow the battery out of my coworker's N2 and he charges mine while I use his to flash. And my hunt for bootloaders begins.

I've flashed:

GN2_N7105_(4.3_MK5_permissive_kernel).zip (as suggested in the DN3 thread): no dice.
cwm-i317-ucucne5-modem.zip: again, no dice.
A couple others, I did have about 50 tabs open on my browser, and I've lost track of what I actively have installed.

With each one of those, I checked my Build Info with Android System Info, and it reports my bootloader is I317UCAMA4

I've even tried flashing a couple kernels, including AGNi_pureSTOCK-v4.2.4_N7105_4.4.2_AROMA-signed.zip and cwm-i317-ucucne5-kernel.zip (which coincidentally makes android.process.media and com.android.dialer crash consistently), and still nothing. This is the problem with a device that has a bunch of variations: information overload.

So, I ask the community for help.

What I want: TWRP / CM11 to function optimally and to charge while powered off.
What I need: the proper kernel and bootloader, preferably in a recovery-flashable format, but I'm not too shy to Odin if necessary.

Thanks in advance for your help

Last edited:

jsdad

May 2, 2013
re: charging problems

I have two I317's. One has the 4.1.2 bootloader and one has the 4.4.2 bootloader.

4.1.2 bootloader- if I install a 4.4.2 rom, it turns the phone on if I plug in the charging cable. It won't stay off while charging. The charging works normally with 4.3 roms. I also tried this with the MJ4 (4.3?) bootloader.

4.4.2 bootloader- if I install a 4.3 rom and try to charge it with the phone turned off, it hangs on the empty battery charging symbol and cannot be turned on without a battery pull. The charging works normally with a 4.4.2 rom.

For my two phones and 4.4.2, the rom has to match the bootloader for charging to work properly.

jparnell8839

Jul 18, 2012
Tunnel Hill, GA
I have two I317's. One has the 4.1.2 bootloader and one has the 4.4.2 bootloader.

4.1.2 bootloader- if I install a 4.4.2 rom, it turns the phone on if I plug in the charging cable. It won't stay off while charging. The charging works normally with 4.3 roms. I also tried this with the MJ4 (4.3?) bootloader.

4.4.2 bootloader- if I install a 4.3 rom and try to charge it with the phone turned off, it hangs on the empty battery charging symbol and cannot be turned on without a battery pull. The charging works normally with a 4.4.2 rom.

For my two phones and 4.4.2, the rom has to match the bootloader for charging to work properly.

That makes sense. Would you mind linking me to a 4.4 bootloader? I've searched all up and down and no matter what I flash, my bootloader stays at UCAMA4.

terpin32

Jul 30, 2012
Ive been on the newest and ive never had a reason to go back

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

jparnell8839

Jul 18, 2012
Tunnel Hill, GA
Here ya go

http://d-h.st/qDY

Just be warned...I don't think that you can revert back if you flash the 4.4.2 bootloader. You are stuck with it until something newer comes out.

Ive been on the newest and ive never had a reason to go back

I'm pretty much an avid CM'er. That's one requirement I make to buying a phone, unless I buy at launch (which doesn't happen very often). Does it have official CM support. But I do appreciate the heads up.

terpin32

Jul 30, 2012
I switch from cm nighlies and a de-odexed tw rom but both work without any problems cm just doesn't have the features I like with tw that I miss from time to time

jparnell8839

Jul 18, 2012
Tunnel Hill, GA
I switch from cm nighlies and a de-odexed tw rom but both work without any problems cm just doesn't have the features I like with tw that I miss from time to time

I get that. I played with stock deodexed for a while just to play with the spen features, but I can't stand the default apps on TW (dialer, messages, exchange email, etc)

terpin32

Jul 30, 2012
I get that. I played with stock deodexed for a while just to play with the spen features, but I can't stand the default apps on TW (dialer, messages, exchange email, etc)

Try this rom it has no bloat its got like 10 apps that boot its like having cm like smoothness

This is the post

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2803363

This is the rom im running

http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23501681358557170

jparnell8839

Jul 18, 2012
Tunnel Hill, GA
Try this rom it has no bloat its got like 10 apps that boot its like having cm like smoothness

This is the post

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2803363

This is the rom im running

http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23501681358557170

I'll give it a shot. I tried the DN3v5, but was getting several FC's and some issues with LTE. No matter what I set my APN to, it would always revert to 3G preference.

terpin32

Jul 30, 2012
I'll give it a shot. I tried the DN3v5, but was getting several FC's and some issues with LTE. No matter what I set my APN to, it would always revert to 3G preference.

This has the stock att apn built in and my lte speeds is like being on stock everything no fcs either love this rom

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

And in that thread there is a s5 ui you can flash but it kinda slows the one down but its kinda cool

jparnell8839

Jul 18, 2012
Tunnel Hill, GA
This has the stock att apn built in and my lte speeds is like being on stock everything no fcs either love this rom

Sounds appealing. I'll come back to it tomorrow, about to start homework now. College life stinks.

On this NE5, do I need the pit? And which portion in Odin do I push it to? I'm searching for that now, I know I saw it in a thread somewhere...

terpin32

Jul 30, 2012
Sounds appealing. I'll come back to it tomorrow, about to start homework now. College life stinks.

On this NE5, do I need the pit? And which portion in Odin do I push it to? I'm searching for that now, I know I saw it in a thread somewhere...

Just do a backup and just flash like normal

Reactions: jparnell8839

terpin32

Jul 30, 2012
Ah, *duh* goes in the Bootloader slot......

My bad read that wrong but idk about the pit I just did the ota so I had the ne5 bootloader updated

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

But you would flash the bootloader in the pda or the ap slot in odin

jparnell8839

Jul 18, 2012
Tunnel Hill, GA
By the way, thanks for all your help, peoples. I plan on viewing every single thread over the course of the next few weeks (or months, depends on how my classes get) and writing a SGN2 Bible (kind of like what we did over at the Galaxy S Blaze forums). I cant say I'll read them all, but hopefully, I can sift through all the hundreds of pages of threads in a timely manner.

terpin32

Jul 30, 2012
Well, oops. I flashed in the Bootloader slot. It seems to have took, Android System Info is reporting NE5 under Build Info. I wonder if I should re-flash under pda....

Im not sure y they put a bootloader slot ive never used anything but pda or ap but ive never tried flashing a bootloader

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010
Im not sure y they put a bootloader slot

You can flash everything in PDA, including boot loaders. When you flash a single tar with the full firmware in PDA, it contains everything, even kernel and modem and etc.

The reason for all the slots is that some firmware distributions come with separate tar files for each part, and you can still flash them all together.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That makes sense. Would you mind linking me to a 4.4 bootloader? I've searched all up and down and no matter what I flash, my bootloader stays at UCAMA4.

Here ya go

http://d-h.st/qDY

Just be warned...I don't think that you can revert back if you flash the 4.4.2 bootloader. You are stuck with it until something newer comes out.

Just do a backup and just flash like normal

Ah, *duh* goes in the Bootloader slot......

My bad read that wrong but idk about the pit I just did the ota so I had the ne5 bootloader updated

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

But you would flash the bootloader in the pda or the ap slot in odin

Im not sure y they put a bootloader slot

You can flash everything in PDA, including boot loaders. When you flash a single tar with the full firmware in PDA, it contains everything, even kernel and modem and etc.

The reason for all the slots is that some firmware distributions come with separate tar files for each part, and you can still flash them all together.