screen protector. Yay or Nay?

Do you have a Screen protector installed?

• Yes, Can't go without one

Votes: 69 28.8%
  • No, I like my screen naked

Votes: 168 70.0%
  • Other like Crystalusion

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters
Search This thread

holladay08mtm

May 5, 2011
How stupid can one be to not cut away the top right corner flap and use the original protector without hindering the experience?

Omg now I don't feel so cheap I did the same thing.. It works fine too. I'm not paying alot unless they make a Moshi or some type of bubble free one.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

saryu

Dec 27, 2010
jakarta
How stupid can one be to not cut away the top right corner flap and use the original protector without hindering the experience?

i've done that for few days. Then i brace myself and take it out. Man, you might think that original protector don't bring the quality down and the screen is amazing, you are wrong. After i took it out, GOD THIS SCREEN IS TRULY AMAZING.

cuedroid

Dec 9, 2010
i've done that for few days. Then i brace myself and take it out. Man, you might think that original protector don't bring the quality down and the screen is amazing, you are wrong. After i took it out, GOD THIS SCREEN IS TRULY AMAZING.

I took my screen protector off this morning. The stylus is much more responsive. The screen is amazing! I was scared, and nervous; but I did it!

Jayrod1980

Feb 4, 2009
Far East
Careful, the screen does scratch easily. Sadly with a screen this big it is very hard to get it on right. First one by bse had bubbles i couldn't remove, and that is after installing at least 20 kits on various devices. The second was a skinomi and it is nasty rubbery like the xo skins type. Also, even though there are no bubbles, its very opaque compared to the bse protector i used. I want to put a cover on the screen but they make the screen ugly in a way that's not apparent on the phones that I've installed wet type protectors on.

Sent from my often RMA'd Nexus 4

HolyChicken

Dec 31, 2012
So there has been a few mentions of Crystalusion on this thread but I cant find anyone saying they have used it on their Nexus 10. Has anyone indeed used it and if so what are their initial impressions? I really want to protect my N10 but in my research about cases for it I have gotten then impression that the use of a case with it will only put you at risk of overheating and damaging your device? Is this true or am I reading into things too much?

espionage724

Feb 8, 2010
wiki.realmofespionage.xyz
OnePlus 6
...I have gotten then impression that the use of a case with it will only put you at risk of overheating and damaging your device? Is this true or am I reading into things too much?
Well, it was known for a while now that the N10 will drop CPU frequency when it became too warm, but recent information actually shows that the CPU temperatures aren't "exact" (there is no CPU temp sensor; temps are generated based off an algorithm that is based on frequencies, time, and voltages). I don't really see a case having too much of an impact at all on overall temps, but idk.

plastikowl

Jun 14, 2008
Also using the skinomi and I like it a lot. It looked like crap right after I put it on, but the instructions said the streaks would go away. I was REALLY skeptical, but left it overnight and it looked great!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app

jerryp7

Feb 20, 2011
Front Royal, VA
I spent hundreds of dollars to enjoy the highest res tablet screen available. No way am I putting anything between 100% brightness and my eyeballs. It's awesome.
What I do to keep fingerprints to a minimum is occasionally wipe the screen with "RainX original". I do the same with my Galaxy S3. I even clean my glasses and sunglasses with RainX. I just squirt a little on a paper towel and wipe until gone - it's mostly alcohol anyhow. I find it works great and looks great. YMMV.
Oh and I carry it in an IBlason case.

Last edited:

scooterboy5

Dec 4, 2012
Mine's naked. I put a protector film on it at first, but got some dust under during application, so after a few days I removed it.

The Rain-x idea sounds interesting. I love it on my windshield, so I might try that.

Tesla67

Jan 23, 2012
Also using the skinomi and I like it a lot. It looked like crap right after I put it on, but the instructions said the streaks would go away. I was REALLY skeptical, but left it overnight and it looked great!

How does the scream look? Does make the screen any duller for lack of a better word?

plastikowl

Jun 14, 2008
How does the scream look? Does make the screen any duller for lack of a better word?

Honestly, I can't tell any difference. Still bright as ever and I find it's actually easier to use because the surface seems a bit more slick than the glass surface was. My fingertip would sometimes skid a bit on the glass surface and it felt like there was more friction. I use a swype-like keyboard interface (SwiftKey Flow or Kii) so it is very apparent to me. Improvement all around in my opinion, in addition to added peace of mind.

Seriously though, right after you put it on it looks AWFUL. I was actually kind of pissed off because I thought I was going to have to finagle another one out of skinomi customer service and I HATE calling customer service numbers. It said in the instructions that streaks would disappear over a few days so I figured I'd give it a chance, but I was skeptical. Lo and behold, the morning came and it looked perfect.

I should mention it comes with a spray solution I hit the cover with on the adhesive side with a few times and a little rubber squeegee thing. It's a tiny bit unsettling to be using liquids around a brand spanking new tablet but it all worked out. Just avoid the buttons/ports when you push bubbles out.

I typically suck at putting these things on, but I took my time, followed the instructions and didn't end up with even the slightest bubble or trapped dust/hair, despite the fact that I have a cat and his damn hair is all over the house, and in the air.

dajogejr

Apr 20, 2011
Lovin my skinomi as well. It doesn't have that rubbery feel to it, very slick as said. I had one on my old phone, loved it. I tried a gift armor on my old touchpad... And it was rubbery. Prep work is the key. Clean screen and a can of compressed air to get that spec or two of dust or hair that'll make you cringe...

Light mist on a clean screen, wet your finger tips, align from the top and work your way down with a squeegee...
As said... Don't rush to judge it. Use a hair dryer to speed up the micro air bubbles drying time... But give it a day or two... Promise

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

bigdog2k7

Jan 3, 2013
Michigan

My screen after using Skinomi techskin is crystal clear. You can see "orange peel" from certain angles but IMO it doesn't take away from the screen quality. It still feels smoother than any other screen protector I've used and through their awareness program, they will send you another protector for free (at least they did for me). Like mentioned before, DO NOT be alarmed if your screen looks cloudy or foggy, I was worried about this too and used a hair dryer to help the screen dry and then let it sit overnight and they were all gone.
Honestly, I can't tell any difference. Still bright as ever and I find it's actually easier to use because the surface seems a bit more slick than the glass surface was. My fingertip would sometimes skid a bit on the glass surface and it felt like there was more friction. I use a swype-like keyboard interface (SwiftKey Flow or Kii) so it is very apparent to me. Improvement all around in my opinion, in addition to added peace of mind.

Seriously though, right after you put it on it looks AWFUL. I was actually kind of pissed off because I thought I was going to have to finagle another one out of skinomi customer service and I HATE calling customer service numbers. It said in the instructions that streaks would disappear over a few days so I figured I'd give it a chance, but I was skeptical. Lo and behold, the morning came and it looked perfect.

I should mention it comes with a spray solution I hit the cover with on the adhesive side with a few times and a little rubber squeegee thing. It's a tiny bit unsettling to be using liquids around a brand spanking new tablet but it all worked out. Just avoid the buttons/ports when you push bubbles out.

I typically suck at putting these things on, but I took my time, followed the instructions and didn't end up with even the slightest bubble or trapped dust/hair, despite the fact that I have a cat and his damn hair is all over the house, and in the air.

+1 I covered my speaker ports with paper towel to absorb any "stray" solution as a precaution.

stev067

Dec 19, 2012
Kalamazoo, MI
I've personally never had any luck applying screen protectors to anything. Bubbles, oranges, dust particles, finger nail stretch marks. Mine's naked in a slimline. I apply Brasso Gadget Care once in a while, but usually just wipe it down with the same cloth having old polish still in it.

jerryp7

Feb 20, 2011
Front Royal, VA
I've personally never had any luck applying screen protectors to anything. Bubbles, oranges, dust particles, finger nail stretch marks. Mine's naked in a slimline. I apply Brasso Gadget Care once in a while, but usually just wipe it down with the same cloth having old polish still in it.

Have you compared Brasso to RainX?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda premium

roloracer

Jul 8, 2008
Kissimmee
I always had them on all my devices, main reasons are phones on pocket and my kids, I've used different cling on protectors, until I got my galaxy note where I got a spigen ultra clear and loved it, so I have one on my nexus 10 and my wife's nexus 7, the best way to apply without anything left under is to align the screen protector secure it with painters tape over the outside , clean the screen really good, fold the protector back, and before removing the backside film, put painters tape all across covering the screen, and then pull the edges of tape and the back film while pressing the screen protector and sliding down as you pull the tape/back film together towards you until you apply the protector fully and squeegee the bubbles out, you will end up with a flawless screen, because the tape will pull all particles from screen.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Will be putting a Ghost Armor (screen only) on this week when it comes in, got a kiosk in Calgary to order it in.

I've never been a fan of Ghost Armor - they've always been super rubbery in texture which is a huge turn off.

I put the SGP screen protector on and I like it. I don't notice a drop in quality at all as it's not a matte protector. With that said fingerprints are just as bad as the naked screen.

www.spigen.com

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

I've used SGP products before and heard good things about their screen protectors but they seem rather pricey.

Naked :) But Crystalusion does sound very interesting...

Edit: It sounds really interesting actually :) I almost want to buy it and just put it all over my entire Nexus 10, but would it affect the grip-ability of the back too much?

to be honest, i can't go on with an unprotected device, like yourself i just read about this crystalusion for the first time ever and it does sound pretty amazing, could anybody who's used this liquid glass please care to share their input about it please?

to you both, here is this thread I found on xda about the same, maybe you'll get an idea of what people have felt after using it. This is apparently the US equivalent.

EDIT: I found it on sale at ncix Canada for about $15

It seems to be about $21 to order it ($18 off ebay); seems like a 1-pack-1-device kind of thing though... (I have quite a few things I'd love to use it on, but can't really spend around $20 per device though)

I emailed the manufacturer of Crystalusion about my concern with the rubber back grip; hopefully they respond with something positive though :)

one use per pack is indeed a bummer but then again so are all screen protectors.
    Although economical, the plastic screen that comes with the nexus 10 probably won't protect against scratches. But it could work if you're careful

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda premium
    Naked. I've never, ever used a protector for any of my devices and the glass on them was/is like factory new. Even my Nexus S 4G which is in and out of pockets is flawless. I've always considered them a waste of money on modern glass and through six devices now I've yet to be proven wrong..

That is like saying "I've never had an accident in my life, so I will not buy car insurance."
    You can't plan to avoid an accident - someone else could smash into you!

I used to not bother with screen protectors as I changed devices frequently, till I scratched one of my screens. Scratches affect resale value, so depending on how and where I use which device, I may install a screen protector.

The screen that got scratched was Gorilla Glass. When I got my S3 which has GG2, I didn't install a screen protector. There is now a nice scratch on it. Same thing happened to a friend - deep scratches.

http://imageshack.us/a/img802/6259/20120715131719edit.jpg

But just like car accidents, it depends on how and where you use your device. If you only drive on quiet country roads at low speeds, insurance may be unnecessary. If you can avoid things like sand or diamond rings, both of which can scratch gorilla glass, a screen protector might be unnecessary. It's cheap insurance though.
    I'm certainly not one of the "most" you speak of. If my screen were to get a little scratch on it I doubt I would notice. To me it's like the clear covers that my mom put on the living room furniture. It protects the upholstery from damage but it also prevents one from appreciating the beauty and feel of the actual fabric. And then the springs and padding wear out or the style becomes outdated so you take off the plastic and you have a broken down piece of furniture that looks great for the thrift shop. Of course, plastic covered or not I wouldn't sit in it with tools sticking out of my pocket or with lots of dirt and grime on my clothes. I'd rather enjoy the beauty and color as the designer intended.

I'm not sure if furniture covers are really a legitimate comparison here :p

My screen cover is almost indistinguishable from the original surface. Pair this with the fact that the tablet lives in a case and the edges wouldn't be visible anyway (not that they are apparent or obvious otherwise) and the point is moot.

As far as the feel? I have found the surface to be slicker than before and easier to use because of the screen protector I chose. I use swype style inputs, so the comparison for me was like night and day. Without the cover, it was more effort to slide a finger around without encountering noticeable friction.

They may not be for everybody, but I think they are a pretty great way to protect an expensive device without any significant drawbacks.