If you flashed the 4.4.2 partition table (gpt.bin) only and now can't flash anything

Search This thread

Cozume

Jan 30, 2014
is this a hard brick? Can you recover from this once the sbf firmware for 4.4.2 is released?

Cozume

Jan 30, 2014
you should still be able to access stock recovery through the bootloader menu and reflash the update:

http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407573403
Thanks, it wasn't me but it was another poster and he was not able to access stock recovery. He said he could get into fastboot mode, but didn't get the android with the red triangle, it just shows the moto boot logo and goes back into fastboot mode with this message :

Partition (recovery) Security Version Downgraded
Boot up failed

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2657262&page=2

Ther error message sounds to me like once you upgrade the partition table to 4.4.2, it won't let you into 4.4 recovery since it is a lower version?

Q9Nap

Feb 13, 2009
Thanks, it wasn't me but it was another poster and he was not able to access stock recovery. He said he could get into fastboot mode, but didn't get the android with the red triangle, it just shows the moto boot logo and goes back into fastboot mode with this message :

Partition (recovery) Security Version Downgraded
Boot up failed

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2657262&page=2

Ther error message sounds to me like once you upgrade the partition table to 4.4.2, it won't let you into 4.4 recovery since it is a lower version?

ah yeah, just read the thread, that kinda sucks. recovery version has never been an issue before iirc. well the fxz should be available pretty quickly; i'd be surprised if it isn't availalbe some time next week. i'd way rather wait for that than send in the phone and deal with tech support and refurbished devices.
this is also one of the reasons i never take ota; always wait for the fxz. then you can update just what you need: boot, system, and radio. i'm running 4.4 boot system and radio with every other partition still on 4.2.2. works fine and i always have the option to downgrade if i want to for whatever reason.

Last edited:

Cozume

Jan 30, 2014
ah yeah, just read the thread, that kinda sucks. recovery version has never been an issue before iirc.
yeah, seems like Motorola just keeps making these updates less and less hackable.

I went the CLNR route with my GNex for hardware problems and I eventually ended up with one that was significantly better than the one I sent in. But it took me 5 to get there. Lots of the AMOLED screens were blue or yellow tinted in the CLNRs.

Q9Nap

Feb 13, 2009
yeah, seems like Motorola just keeps making these updates less and less hackable.

I went the CLNR route with my GNex for hardware problems and I eventually ended up with one that was significantly better than the one I sent in. But it took me 5 to get there. Lots of the AMOLED screens were blue or yellow tinted in the CLNRs.

what would be really helpful for those who are bricking is someone with fully stock rooted 4.4.2 doing a dd of the recovery partition. then bricked users could fastboot the recovery to their devices and reinstall the update.

edthesped

Sep 13, 2010
ah yeah, just read the thread, that kinda sucks. recovery version has never been an issue before iirc. well the fxz should be available pretty quickly; i'd be surprised if it isn't availalbe some time next week. i'd way rather wait for that than send in the phone and deal with tech support and refurbished devices.
this is also one of the reasons i never take ota; always wait for the fxz. then you can update just what you need: boot, system, and radio. i'm running 4.4 boot system and radio with every other partition still on 4.2.2. works fine and i always have the option to downgrade if i want to for whatever reason.

That's me, I wish I did the same with 4.2.2 but didn't know what I know now then. Now I plan on waiting for the sbf or a custom recovery flashable zip that can be reverted to 4.4 as I'll do everything in my power to keep off the "upgraded" bootloader.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Q9Nap

Feb 13, 2009
What are the advantages of sticking with that bootloader version rather than the 4.2.2 post-camera bootloader? It's too late for me as I took the 4.4 OTA before I found this site but I am curious to know.

Nothing in particular other than the ability to downgrade and/or cross flash other firmware. For most people it's not a big deal because they'll never want to do this stuff.

Cozume

Jan 30, 2014
Nothing in particular other than the ability to downgrade and/or cross flash other firmware. For most people it's not a big deal because they'll never want to do this stuff.
Thanks, but if you are on 4.2.2 pre-camera initial release, what is there to downgrade to? Just trying to understand all of this.

Q9Nap

Feb 13, 2009
Thanks, but if you are on 4.2.2 pre-camera initial release, what is there to downgrade to? Just trying to understand all of this.

i am running 4.4 boot, system, and radio. all other partitions, i.e. fsg, gpt, logo, and motoboot, are still the initial release versions.
gpt and motoboot are irreversible once flashed. gpt is the partition table that contains the security levels of the other partitions and motoboot contains the security level for gpt that is checked at boot time. usually there's no reason to upgrade them because it prevents you from being able to flash partitions that have a lower security level than what they specify.
i'm not sure whether it matters as much with an unlocked bootloader, as being unlocked allows you to flash whatever you want, but gpt is still irreversible. so once gpt is upgraded, it may still prevent you from downgrading or crossflashing partitions with a lower security level than specified.
bottom line is, there's no reason to upgrade them unless you don't mind limiting your choices.

Cozume

Jan 30, 2014
gpt and motoboot are irreversible once flashed. gpt is the partition table that contains the security levels of the other partitions and motoboot contains the security level for gpt that is checked at boot time. usually there's no reason to upgrade them because it prevents you from being able to flash partitions that have a lower security level than what they specify.
Ok got it. The later versions of the partition table and bootloader just lock your phone down more; they don't do anything to enhance user experience.

bottom line is, there's no reason to upgrade them unless you don't mind limiting your choices.
Thanks, that says it all. Next time I get a new phone I won't upgrade those!

Q9Nap

Feb 13, 2009
Ok got it. The later versions of the partition table and bootloader just lock your phone down more; they don't do anything to enhance user experience.

this is correct, generally speaking. there may be instances where upgrading gpt is unavoidable. for example gpt also contains partition sizes, so if a newer system is larger than the size specified in gpt, it may not flash. the vzw 4.4 system image is 162mb larger than the vzw 4.2.2 system image, but it flashes. will have to see whether 4.4.2 flashes; i doubt there is much of a size difference though.

JoeSchmoe007

Mar 4, 2011
i am running 4.4 boot, system, and radio. all other partitions, i.e. fsg, gpt, logo, and motoboot, are still the initial release versions.
i'm not sure whether it matters as much with an unlocked bootloader, as being unlocked allows you to flash whatever you want, but gpt is still irreversible. so once gpt is upgraded, it may still prevent you from downgrading or crossflashing partitions with a lower security level than specified.

Finally the post that makes it ALL CLEAR!!! My eyes are watering from all the reading of this forum I have done in fear of angering forum helpers :laugh: but there was nothing like this post before (unless I missed it)

Reactions: Q9Nap

Cozume

Jan 30, 2014
Finally the post that makes it ALL CLEAR!!! My eyes are watering from all the reading of this forum I have done in fear of angering forum helpers :laugh: but there was nothing like this post before (unless I missed it)
Exactly. The forum "helpers" are getting off a bit too much on all the "help" they provide people.

It is nice when a knowledgeable person takes a few minutes to explain details that may seem basic but to people learning this for the first time are essential.

Thanks again @Q9Nap!

Reactions: Q9Nap

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

this is correct, generally speaking. there may be instances where upgrading gpt is unavoidable. for example gpt also contains partition sizes, so if a newer system is larger than the size specified in gpt, it may not flash. the vzw 4.4 system image is 162mb larger than the vzw 4.2.2 system image, but it flashes. will have to see whether 4.4.2 flashes; i doubt there is much of a size difference though.
    Yes, once the full flash is released you should be able to recover.

dd is a linux binary included in busybox. it can be used to make image dumps of partitions.
    more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dd_(Unix))