[Q] Unique Situation ATT Galaxy Note 2 Help

Search This thread

pgranberg11

Apr 11, 2014
Ok, this is my first post so forgive if this is in the wrong section...

I have a friend's Galaxy Note 2 ATT that was stuck on the Galaxy Note 2 Boot screen, and it wouldn't go any further.

Because I work for Samsung at the Samsung Experience Shop, I tried running it through our smart reflash tool
-----> This didn't work because it would fully download it onto the phone, but when it got to the Android with the thing spinning in its chest, it would stop and ALWAYS freeze halfway.

Next step I tried doing was going through Samsung Kies and downloading the stock OS and load that, but the same Android with the spinning thing in its chest would show up and it would freeze.

Due to this guy being my friend I told him I would try anything to get his phone to work again (root, to custom recovery, to custom rom)

My steps so far:

1. I have successfully rooted my device via ODIN 1.85 by using CF-Auto-Root
2. Afterwards, I loaded on a custom recovery via ODIN 1.85 which now is philz_touch_6.07.9

Here is my problem now, I've tried searching everywhere and I can't really find the answer...

Whenever I try to side load a rom through ADB through Android tools (its in the right directory and everything because it transfers over), I keep getting an error message "E: Error in /tmp/update.zip (status 7) Installation Aborted."

Now before I get that error I get stuff like getprop("ro.product.device")==t0lte" ||getprop("ro.build.product").... etc. and it goes on and on.

So far the ROMs that I have tried were Cyanogenmod 10.1 and the Pacman Rom, and yes, both are for the correct device like the model name/number match up. And now how I said I thought I rooted the device, whenever I try to reboot into recovery via Philztouch, it says at the top Root Access is missing. Root device, and I click yes. When it reboots into recovery and I want to turn the phone off again, it still says Root Access is missing.

I am open for anything really. My friend just wants his phone to work again. and I've literally exhausted all of my ideas as I keep running into the same issue.

What am I doing wrong? and is something like this possible to fix? Or is my friend SOL?

Thanks for all the help. It's much appreciated.

Last edited:

Bajanman

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 17, 2009
Los Angeles Ca.

pgranberg11

Apr 11, 2014
Ok, thanks for the direct response. I've downloaded the latest TWRP recovery and when I try to push it through ODIN, I still have PhilZ Touch 6..? Sorry, I feel like I'm skipping something simple...

according to a guide, I have to make sure when I'm pushing a custom recovery through ODIN I have to leave Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time UNCHECKED. I made sure they were, and for some reason after it says PASS and thread successful 1 failed 0. When I disconnect the phone and turn it back on into recovery mode, I still has PhilZ Touch...

Last edited:

pgranberg11

Apr 11, 2014
Ok, I got stock recovery on there just by redoing the CF-Auto Root package through ODIN.

I figured well I can apply the ROM the adb through the stock recovery...

It was going well until I got this error. The last line before the error stated:
"Veryfying update package..."

Error:

E: failed to verify whole-file signature
E: signature verification failed

is that due to the fact that i'm using stock recovery?

In the mean time since that didn't work I'm going to flash TWRP and hopefully that fixes the issue.

I'm kinda just documenting my steps here in case anyone wants to follow and chime in if i'm doing something wrong.

Thanks for the help guys!

************3AM EDIT*****************

Ok so I managed to get TWRP 2.7 on the device as I needed the ability to adb sideload the update.zip to the phone since I can't boot into the phone's OS whatsoever.

This is the error I'm receiving now:

Checking for MD5 file...
Skipping Md5 check: no MD5 file found.

then it restarts and I'm stuck at the Samsung GALAXY Note II screen... what's my next step..? Find a different ROM?

**********Another Edit**************

It has just come to me, I shouldn't have to adb sideload the update.zip or the custom rom... even though I can't get into the phones OS and can't copy and paste to the root of the device. Can't I just copy and paste it to a micro SD card and mount that, and then apply the update from there? And as far as those errors I had earlier, I'm still not sure why I received them...

Again, thanks for all the help

Last edited:

pgranberg11

Apr 11, 2014
Thanks for the reply. ADB didn't work because, in fact, since I haven't been able to turn the phone on, I know USB debugging isn't turned on.

And as far as having the MD5 check, it is unchecked.

I received a success message. However, when I try to boot the phone it still gets stuck at the Samsung Galaxy Note II screen.

******Edit******

Ok ended up using a different ROM, I think PacMan rom? It seemed to work until it got to extracting system files and then the phone sits for a couple minutes, screen turns black. And when I try to wake the screen, only the back and menu buttons come up...

Another thing, even though I've already rooted my device using CF-Auto-Root, When I reboot my device with TWRP I go to reboot and then recovery. Then it warns me saying no OS bla bla bla, and then it says it notices that my phone isn't rooted? And that SuperSU isn't on the device. It asks to install it by swiping. I swipe it starts to install, phone reboots. When I reboot it again, it still tells me that the phone isn't rooted. And with the phone not being rooted, I'm coming to the conclusion why I'm having trouble trying to flash Roms.. Is this a possibility?

Last edited:

fourpointsix

Jan 6, 2009
Why are you using ADB? just drop the .zip for the ROM you wish to flash onto a micro SD card, and flash from within the TWRP. Don't try to extract the .zip whatsoever.

Top Liked Posts