Universal Remote

Search This thread

stevenmu

Nov 21, 2003
Hi all,

Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong place. I've tried using the IR port as a universal remote and found (just like everyon else oddly enough) that it only works from about a meter away and if it's angled exactly right. When I get my XDA back from the shop (cracked LCD €200 - ouch !) I'm going to try putting in an LED from a cheap IR RC car. I was also thinking of taking off the red plastic cover and putting in some kind of parabolic mirrory thingy. Just wondering if anyone has any tips or has tried something similar and had any success/failures ? Is it likely that the IR port will still work for transmitting to laptops etc ?

JUICEe

Oct 28, 2003
CHITOWN, IL
www.geocitie.com
i seen on sum sites b4, that u can make, or buy :roll: an external IR booster...it works really well...but i dunno if Id want sum clunky lookin thing sittin on the corner of my PDA :lol:

mjay

Nov 26, 2003
So there *is* a remote software, that works on XDA (regardless of the range) ... which one is it? Did anyone try it yet on the XDA II? Yesterday I tried 6 of them but wasn't able to get my TV to react. It *is* in the list of delivered device-configs ... I even kneed in front of the TV as near as 10cm ... and learning made the XDA freeze in two cases, with a third prog I got the message, that no IR was detected ...
hm ...

glamprecht

Dec 14, 2004
www.lamprecht.za.org
TV remote controls usually drives the LED's at 10-20 times the rated current through a 1/5th duty cycle bursts. The XDA2 was not designed to be able to do this.

LED's from similar bins usually have the same luminous flux rating, but the angle at which it transmits is changed by adjusting the position in the plastic housing. Moral of the story: No free lunch when it gets to LEDs.

Good luck with changing the emitter anyway. Can you recall if the XDA uses a HP IRDA module or a discrete circuit?