stolen TP in Jamaica looking for some help

Search This thread

Realistpm

Apr 25, 2011
First day on vacation and our laptop and touchpad was stolen. Was wondering if I can remote install security on it to find it, lock it, use the camera or wipe it. Don't remember exactly which build is on it but it's an April ics nightly.

And yes, I'm an idiot for not having that stuff on before vacation but I'm trusting. Never again.

Have an appointment with head of security in the morning but I doubt anything will get resolved.

Please list options. If any. Thank you.

Jotokun

Apr 23, 2011
You could try installing this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...GwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS5sb29rb3V0LmxhYnMucGxhbmIiXQ..

Its a find my phone/tablet solution that is intended to be installed after you lose the tablet. Since the Touchpad is wifi only, I wouldnt count on it unless you had the wifi set to never sleep, whoever took it never turned it off or rebooted to webOS, and it happened to be near wifi. But you never know, might get lucky.

grannyrogers

Jan 20, 2010
College Station
First day on vacation and our laptop and touchpad was stolen. Was wondering if I can remote install security on it to find it, lock it, use the camera or wipe it. Don't remember exactly which build is on it but it's an April ics nightly.

And yes, I'm an idiot for not having that stuff on before vacation but I'm trusting. Never again.

Have an appointment with head of security in the morning but I doubt anything will get resolved.

Please list options. If any. Thank you.

Dude sorry that happened to you. I am from Jamaica and am embarrassed. Was it stolen from your hotel room?

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using xda premium

Smac7

Feb 15, 2009
You could try installing this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...GwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS5sb29rb3V0LmxhYnMucGxhbmIiXQ..

Its a find my phone/tablet solution that is intended to be installed after you lose the tablet. Since the Touchpad is wifi only, I wouldnt count on it unless you had the wifi set to never sleep, whoever took it never turned it off or rebooted to webOS, and it happened to be near wifi. But you never know, might get lucky.

If the thief is very dumb (he probably is), he may have a chance. Hopefully his battery didn't die.

---------- Post added at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

If the thief is very dumb (he probably is), he may have a chance. Hopefully his battery didn't die.

Edit: just remembered our TP's do not have GPS which is going to decrease your chance of finding it.

Realistpm

Apr 25, 2011
Dude sorry that happened to you. I am from Jamaica and am embarrassed. Was it stolen from your hotel room?

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using xda premium

Correct, right out of our room. We were here about 4 hours.

Plan B works on GPS. Or did I read it wrong? Sorry, been limited time online as our phone chargers were stolen with the laptop bag and have only been able to get a little charge here and there from a friendly random person trying to help out. our phones haven't been being full charges.

Realistpm

Apr 25, 2011
Is there something out there that I can download when it connects to wifi again that would lock it up?

rosystreasures

Mar 19, 2012
Nevada
rosycreates.etsy.com
Wow, I am with you...I had a tp "stolen" recently as well in the great old usa. Placed an ad on craigslist. Sold it really fast. However, whe I got to the bank to deposit the $250, I was informed all of the 20's were counterfeit! I did make a police report and bank report...

Realistpm

Apr 25, 2011
Wow, I am with you...I had a tp "stolen" recently as well in the great old usa. Placed an ad on craigslist. Sold it really fast. However, whe I got to the bank to deposit the $250, I was informed all of the 20's were counterfeit! I did make a police report and bank report...

There are Aholes everywhere. I'm not trying to single out the country, just point out my situation. We are here until sat night. Just doing what I can before we leave. with limited internet access and help.

NewZJ

Aug 27, 2010
Seattle, Wa
sorry for your loss bro.

it might help to think of it being traded for food for starving kids, or medication for a sick person

Last edited:

mountaindewmi

May 17, 2010
Miami, FL
it might help to think of it being traded for food for starving kids, or medication for a sick person

...Or that CyanogenMod's ninja attack force took it to help in developing CM10. :cool:

In any case, I say do what you can but like they said before without GPS it would be hard to track. Remote lock maybe, but I am sure it's being sold or something and they may figure out how to wipe but at least your data is safe.
Good Luck!!