4.2.2 problems....

Search This thread

Tesla67

Jan 23, 2012
Anyone else having issues with apps randomly restarting, live backgrounds going black, and widgets disapearing for a sec then reloading every time you hit the home button? I run avast for antivirus and anti theft but it keeps shutting down for a few mins then reloading ( or appears to be because it disappears from the app tray and then shows back up a few minutes later) , then I'll be in the middle of a movie on Netflix and boom it restarts the app. Any clue what's going on. BTW I'm rooted with cwm.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

styckx

Sep 15, 2010
Anyone else having issues with apps randomly restarting, live backgrounds going black, and widgets disapearing for a sec then reloading every time you hit the home button? I run avast for antivirus and anti theft but it keeps shutting down for a few mins then reloading ( or appears to be because it disappears from the app tray and then shows back up a few minutes later) , then I'll be in the middle of a movie on Netflix and boom it restarts the app. Any clue what's going on. BTW I'm rooted with cwm.

Wow.. This is called screen redraw and it is usually something that plagues older devices like the Nexus S that are short on RAM.. Or even newer devices that have so many background instances going the system starts releasing things from memory to free up some RAM for active apps. The homescreen is usually the first to get removed from memory.. Hence, when you go back, it has to "redraw" the homescreen..

For you to get homescreen redraws with the Nexus 10 you have to be running a ludicrous amount of apps all at once.. IMO Avast and Security suites on an Android device are highly unnecessary.

NickTheMajin

Mar 6, 2012
Wow.. This is called screen redraw and it is usually something that plagues older devices like the Nexus S that are short on RAM.. Or even newer devices that have so many background instances going the system starts releasing things from memory to free up some RAM for active apps. The homescreen is usually the first to get removed from memory.. Hence, when you go back, it has to "redraw" the homescreen..

For you to get homescreen redraws with the Nexus 10 you have to be running a ludicrous amount of apps all at once.. IMO Avast and Security suites on an Android device are highly unnecessary.

This happens to me on my Nexus 10 after fresh reboots with only going from the browser to the homescreen.

Tesla67

Jan 23, 2012
I use my tablet at school so the avast is for the anti theft. looks like it was caused by low mem. Only 100 MBs where avalible restarted going to see if it happens again and what app is having issues. FYI this wasn't the first time I restarted to try and fix the redraw issue.

Last edited:

Andrewtst

Aug 4, 2009
Johor
Redraw issue? Never face so far in Nexus 10, unlike my S III where redraw like nobody business.

Anti virus was really unnecessary app, try unload it to see whether it solve your problem or not.

NickTheMajin

Mar 6, 2012
Redraw issue? Never face so far in Nexus 10, unlike my S III where redraw like nobody business.

Anti virus was really unnecessary app, try unload it to see whether it solve your problem or not.

I have the exact opposite problem. My nexus 10 redraws like crazy and my old SIII and now Note 2 have never redrawn.

vittogn

Jan 15, 2007
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 6 Pro

Home screen redraw happens to me on stock launcher, same as 4.2.1, exiting from browsers. When it happens it is very quick to recover but home screens switching is for a couple of seconds very laggy.
Not a big deal though....

squshy 7

Dec 6, 2010
I don't know that it is true, full redraw, as I have the same issue, but the difference between it and normal is redraw is my non widget icons never disappear. From my perspective, it seems that Android 4.2+ has been keen on refreshing widgets every time one goes back to the home screen...where it seems that it simply wants to make sure that it gets the latest data for the widgets. This is anecdotal, of course.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda premium

Tesla67

Jan 23, 2012
Glad to report it hasn't redrawn since I restarted it. Netflix was the culprit was using massive amount of ram for some reason.

NickTheMajin

Mar 6, 2012
Weird. Haha! I know Note II won't redraw as 2gb RAM was enough to prevent it, but this was different case for 1gb RAM S III.

Oh I didn't take it into consideration that you may have the international GSIII. I had the Verizon SIII so both my GSIII and now my Note 2 had 2gigs of ram and no redraws.

My Nexus 10 though, redraws like crazy. Hopefully the next update fixes it.

musichoover

Oct 6, 2010
Chicago
I have definitely had redraw issues since updating to 4.2.2. Also my live wall paper goes black sometimes, usually upon booting up the device. Didn't happen before. Gaming is definitely better on 4.2.2 though

Andrewtst

Aug 4, 2009
Johor
Oh I didn't take it into consideration that you may have the international GSIII. I had the Verizon SIII so both my GSIII and now my Note 2 had 2gigs of ram and no redraws.

My Nexus 10 though, redraws like crazy. Hopefully the next update fixes it.
That why I want to replace my International S III, waiting for all manufacturer announcing new phone. Now do targettting on Xperia Z, but will check out what HTC give tonight and coming 14/March on how S IV look like. :)

Samsung use 1GB for international S III was a big mistake and unfair.