Just switched from Sprint to Verizon - Voicemail question

Search This thread

midmadn

Mar 18, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
My friend just switched from Sprint to Verizon. On Sprint we have our own voicemail app and the voicemails download right to the phone at no extra cost. Do you really have to pay $4 a month on Verizon for this capability or is there a way to activate on device voicemail without paying the extra fee?

Thanks for any advice you can offer,

Jack

Sent from my SM-N900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

shiftr182

Oct 5, 2010
Boise
Google Pixel 8 Pro
On Sprint we had our own voicemail app and the voicemails downloaded right to the phone at no extra cost. Do we really have to pay $4 a month on Verizon or is there a way to activate on device voicemail without paying the extra fee?

Jack

I also came from sprint... I didn't use their VM though... I use google voice, always have. Its great.

TechSavvy2

Sep 26, 2011
On Sprint we had our own voicemail app and the voicemails downloaded right to the phone at no extra cost. Do we really have to pay $4 a month on Verizon or is there a way to activate on device voicemail without paying the extra fee?

Jack

You have to pay $4/month for VISUAL voicemail, yes :p But like others states, use google voice if you're not comfortable with that. Exact same features, cross compatibility. Just make sure to follow the call-forwarding instructions for google voice..... I don't know how many people can't figure out how to get it to work because they think installing the app and following the instructions makes it work...

danthepunman

Jan 25, 2012
I agree with using google voice. The translations are quite comical. They are no way perfect but you get the idea of what was said. You can listen from any computer and if you add the extension on chrome you get notifications on the browser.

In regards to prev. post, ignore the warning about the carrier in the setup dialog. It just means that you have to dial the *7... that google gives you when you setup the voicemail account.

One warning you do have to have data/internet connection to get voicemail since it retrieves it over voip and not 1g voice/calling. Which isn't a big deal unless you are deep in the woods or roaming on unfriendly territory like Thumb Cellular in Michigan.