[Q] Newbie to Moto X/ Android - 4.4.2 issues

Search This thread

editor1

Jun 23, 2012
Hi All,

I'm lost, so hope you chaps can help.
Have just purchased a Verizon Moto X developer phone X1060 - its from the USA, I'm in Hong Kong and obviously not using a Verizone sim card - further, I'm a iMac user, so Android is new to say the least to me.

My MX is already "rooted" so want to upgrade to latest 4.4.2, obviously I have to do this via boot loader - big difficulties encountered having download all necessary files and cannot "hard" reboot as getting Andy with Red Triangle - I take it some issue with fast boot or whatever, but after 12 hours effort, absolutely stuck and getting annoyed.

So, time to hit boards and get expert advice me thinks?

editor1

Jun 23, 2012
Many thanks, but

I always used OTA updates, but I think that you have to unlock your bootloader, and/or, use RSD LITE like this:
http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/general/guide-moto-x-return-to-100-stock-using-t2446515

Thanks for your input, but as I have a developer Moto X from Verizone and am using it with a mobile provider in Hong Kong, I cannot do OTA update, hence struggling, and struggling because I'm on OSX 10.8 and an iMac, most guides being for PC - have managed to crack half the issue, but flashing ROM's is a big pain presently, particularly when using Terminal!

djlucask

Jun 3, 2013
Thanks for your input, but as I have a developer Moto X from Verizone and am using it with a mobile provider in Hong Kong, I cannot do OTA update, hence struggling, and struggling because I'm on OSX 10.8 and an iMac, most guides being for PC - have managed to crack half the issue, but flashing ROM's is a big pain presently, particularly when using Terminal!

Oh i forgot the iMac issue, I never saw tutorials for OSX, maybe the best choice here is to make an Windows VM, or an Linux, that way would be always easy to mod your phone.
Sorry I don't have any other possible solutions for this :(

jasoraso

May 24, 2007
Salt Lake City, UT
Might be easier to read up on how to change the recovery to TWRP (make sure get version 2.7); sounds like you are on the stock recovery still since you get Andy w/ Red Triangle) then use TWRP to flash a rooted, updated rom from the development section. If you are already rooted (not just unlocked) then you can use an app like Recovery manager (?) to flash TWRP while booted into the regular android system.

Or, you can also flash all the update files from the Bootloader using Fastboot. I don't have a MAC, so I don't know if the Motorola Fastboot file is available for Mac though. If you can't use the Motorola fastboot, you will need to use fastboot to flash the TWRP recovery, and then flash the new ROM system image using a ROM zip file in TWRP recovery instead of Bootloader.

Just make sure you are in the Bootloader when you try and use fastboot, not in the Factory Recovery. I believe the Andy icon indicates you are in the Factory Recovery.

One other tip: when in bootloader, the "volume up" key is the "enter" key to select the option that is highlighted (not the power key like other Android devices I have used).
When you flash TWRP, DON"T reboot, instead, use the bootloader option to boot to recovery directly (without rebooting).

Once you have a custom recovery, and have root, you won't ever need to worry about working on a Mac instead of PC.

Last edited:

editor1

Jun 23, 2012
Might be easier to read up on how to change the recovery to TWRP (make sure get version 2.7); sounds like you are on the stock recovery still since you get Andy w/ Red Triangle) then use TWRP to flash a rooted, updated rom from the development section. If you are already rooted (not just unlocked) then you can use an app like Recovery manager (?) to flash TWRP while booted into the regular android system.

Or, you can also flash all the update files from the Bootloader using Fastboot. I don't have a MAC, so I don't know if the Motorola Fastboot file is available for Mac though. If you can't use the Motorola fastboot, you will need to use fastboot to flash the TWRP recovery, and then flash the new ROM system image using a ROM zip file in TWRP recovery instead of Bootloader.

Just make sure you are in the Bootloader when you try and use fastboot, not in the Factory Recovery. I believe the Andy icon indicates you are in the Factory Recovery.

One other tip: when in bootloader, the "volume up" key is the "enter" key to select the option that is highlighted (not the power key like other Android devices I have used).
When you flash TWRP, DON"T reboot, instead, use the bootloader option to boot to recovery directly (without rebooting).

Once you have a custom recovery, and have root, you won't ever need to worry about working on a Mac instead of PC.

Thanks for info, I've managed to setup fast boot, its the actual flashing of the ROM via Terminal that's confusing to say the least - basically, in Mac terminal necessary to change inputting details associated with rooting instructions found on PC - side of the equation, hence why I'm stuck. Would be easier to get someone with a PC laptop to lend a hand, most don't do custom jobs on Android though, so, will have to figure it out myself and then hopefully render help to others.

buechler66

Apr 18, 2014
Republic Wireless Moto X Moto G Discount Code Link URL

$25 Republic Wireless credit at checkout with purchase of your phone using this discount link

imparables

Oct 5, 2010
New Jerz
Thanks for info, I've managed to setup fast boot, its the actual flashing of the ROM via Terminal that's confusing to say the least - basically, in Mac terminal necessary to change inputting details associated with rooting instructions found on PC - side of the equation, hence why I'm stuck. Would be easier to get someone with a PC laptop to lend a hand, most don't do custom jobs on Android though, so, will have to figure it out myself and then hopefully render help to others.

Have you tried this?

Toolkit for Mac OS under development...

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

editor1

Jun 23, 2012
Have you tried this?

Toolkit for Mac OS under development...

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for info, I've not tried Toolkit, or heard of it - any links to assist with this?

Basically, you are going to see more Mac users adopt Android over the coming months, and many like me suffer in an all OSX environment when playing about with PC-structured advice - shame I never adopted a duel boot system on my mac, but its always been for DTP, hence always happy with Adobe in Mac.

editor1

Jun 23, 2012
Now upgraded to 4.4.2

Thanks for info, I've not tried Toolkit, or heard of it - any links to assist with this?

Basically, you are going to see more Mac users adopt Android over the coming months, and many like me suffer in an all OSX environment when playing about with PC-structured advice - shame I never adopted a duel boot system on my mac, but its always been for DTP, hence always happy with Adobe in Mac.

Thanks for the input, after two days of hell, I'm now fully upgraded to KitKat 4.4.2, my Moto X1060 Dev phone is working as it should be, I've unlocked it, am able to do side-loading, have TWRP installed - a bigger pain as caused a continually boot loop, erased, re-installed all from Moto and re-cracked it.

So it works, and I did all this on a iMac and in terminal, which I don't often use!

Not bad for someone fast approaching 50 - and yes, this is a kids game I'm afraid to say.