[ROM][AOSP][Nightly/Release] CarbonRom KitKat [toro]

Search This thread

Ozzie12

Oct 2, 2010
You didn't dirty flash did you? Good thing you said something cause I follow this one

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

edmann

Sep 19, 2010
Santa Barbara, Ca
Been using my sch i515 Broke my 2nd LG G2 screen !! Real thin stuff. Guess they'll be selling more phones ?
Nightly downloads up after being n/a for 6 days. Flashed 4.4.3 and PA Gapps mini module 4.4.3 go to XDA for gapps update. Running smooth as silk. 4.4.2 was getting on my nerves....heating up and laaging. Real quick now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: cujo6801

Ozzie12

Oct 2, 2010
This rom continues to be at the top of my list...dd for me.
Thank you for keeping us in the loop!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

ddmclw

Feb 17, 2011
New build 6-20 is 4.4.4 but my contacts won't sync. Anyone else with this problem?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Free mobile app

New build 6-20 is 4.4.4 but my contacts won't sync. Anyone else with this problem?

I've been having sync issues since 2.x.x but that was mostly browser. After upgrading to 4.4.2 from 4.0.4 on my old phone I started having calendar sync issues. Now I occasionally have Contact sync issues. I'm not really sure it's just you. I feel like these updates are playing hell with sync data. :/

oman0123

May 2, 2010
Flint
I've been having issues as well. I just force it to sync. In your account settings keep on clicking sync contacts until it doesn't error out. Not a pretty way but it works

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

ddmclw

Feb 17, 2011
Got it to work this morn. Really liking this carbon build! Might stick with it for week :)

Reactions: oman0123

oman0123

May 2, 2010
Flint
Got it to work this morn. Really liking this carbon build! Might stick with it for week :)

I'll be that guy..... How long does mms take to send?

I just can't flash anymore because I'm using f2fs. I actually kinda wish I stuck with ext4 because of the conversion I have to do lol

ddmclw

Feb 17, 2011
I'll be that guy..... How long does mms take to send?

I just can't flash anymore because I'm using f2fs. I actually kinda wish I stuck with ext4 because of the conversion I have to do lol

Well stock messaging app for me about 15-25 seconds to send MMS. Evolve messaging app a little faster but not much. I'm just happy its actually sending!

Reactions: oman0123

oman0123

May 2, 2010
Flint
Looks like I'll make myself an f2fs version before I head to work. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

Well stock messaging app for me about 15-25 seconds to send MMS. Evolve messaging app a little faster but not much. I'm just happy its actually sending!

Very very nice. MMS is very snappy! It's like a dream! Lol

cujo6801

Jan 2, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga
Looks like I'll make myself an f2fs version before I head to work. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

Very very nice. MMS is very snappy! It's like a dream! Lol

If you're lying I'll give you such a pinch..... :p

Sent from the "DOG" pound

Ozzie12

Oct 2, 2010
I have to admit...after flashing the latest I haven't moved. Like this one a bunch.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Reactions: cujo6801

Feb 6, 2013
Would I lie to you Cuj? Lol

I will put an asterisk next to my results because I DID dirty flash from PA rc2.

But I'm experiencing no issues at all so far. I'll even say it's faster than slim. :eek::eek::eek:

Same here, flashed over from PAC ext4 no problem.

I did a system and data cpio backup a few days ago to reformat as f2fs with the 2.7.x.x twrp ext4/f2fs recovery. Uncpio'd my backups , changed mount commands in my scripts to 'toolbox mount -o ...' OR 'busybox mount -t f2fs -o ...', fairly smooth transition. You can do this with sed, this is a very important example:
Code:
sed -iE -- 's/^((busybox\.ndk |busybox |)mount -t f2fs|(busybox |busybox.ndk |)mount) -o/toolbox mount -o/g' /system/{x,}bin/@(sysr*|rootr*)
MMS works perfectly, I use 5 sec delay setting to send, but receive texts instantly. Net has been good with the tweaks I use. I haven't clean flashed since last year lol. I know the data and system dirs inside out so I use my own custom cleaning, highly modified /system. I posted in the dirty V thread how I switched to f2fs, retaining my whole installation. No clean flash or installation needed, but if you run into problems, definitely do some aromafm /data/data/com.android.* cleaning, try flash uninstalling xposed, and run
Code:
for i in system data cache sdcard ; do load_policy /sepolicy; restorecon -R /$i ; done
. Twrp fix_permissions on top of that is a good combo. ****to boot with xposed you must set "/system/bin/app_process" context to "u:eek:bject_r:system_file:s0" after a restorecon, use
Code:
chcon u:object_r:system_file:s0 /system/bin/app_process
to change****

A couple other things not to forget about f2fs:
1) Use a f2fs compatible kernel, the stock ROM Kern doesn't work.
2) Make sure "rm -r" format in twrp settings is NOT checked.

Last edited:
Reactions: ddmclw and cujo6801

Feb 6, 2013
Hey guys! Navbar keyboard cursor control with the arrows is back! I've been waiting for this since the first release of kitkat! Goddamn, super glad I don't have to use some ass backwards reach around java-to-shell-to-java input.jar navbar binded jscript or gravbox. Thanks carbon! Been on this ROM for months now. It's rock solid with f2fs and squeaky clean with good performance. 3 thumbs up, (one is bigger lol).

Edit: it should be auto enabled by default.

Attachments

• nvbr.crsr.ctrl.Screenshot_2014-07-08-22-08-28.png
    nvbr.crsr.ctrl.Screenshot_2014-07-08-22-08-28.png
    98.1 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

infectedorganism

May 10, 2011
@7175

Do you mind sharing that 'ass backwards reach around java-to-shell-to-java input.jar navbar binded jscript'? I've been trying to get those cursor keys on this 4.2 ROM I'm using. I'm not sure it will work, but it's worth a try.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Feb 6, 2013
@7175

Do you mind sharing that 'ass backwards reach around java-to-shell-to-java input.jar navbar binded jscript'? I've been trying to get those cursor keys on this 4.2 ROM I'm using. I'm not sure it will work, but it's worth a try.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Knew someone else was interested in this! I highly suggest installing xposed framework and using gravitybox jb to add the navbar cursor control you're looking for. Here is the complicated ass_backwards_reach_around method I've used before though:

So this is how dpad up/down/left/right works through app_process and input.jar with the "input" shell command:

Code:
> /system/bin/input keyevent "n"

### "n" is 19 to move up, 20 to move down, 21 to move left, 22 to move right..

### (btw, tab is 61, esc is 111, and ctrl is 113, alt is 57, and enter is 23. You can use terminal ide's {best app ever} keylogger to check keys)

Now what we gotta do is translate this to an "intent" with JScript which is very tricky, and successfully and somewhat more easily add it to the navbar bind string in the /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db sqlite database.

Before adding a buttons for left and right cursor control, goto settings and add some dummy's on the far left and right navbar locations, we'll be replacing those next.

Download SQlite Editor and open up /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db, open table "system", and scroll down to the entry name "navigation bar config". Click on field to the right of "navigation bar config" and click the pencil icon to edit. A window should open with your navbar setup something like:
"...far.left.action...|**back**|**home**|**recents**|...|...far.right.action..."

We want to replace the "...far.*.action..." text with intents to cursor control.

This is a sample intent for cursor up, I couldn't find what I was using before but it should be something like this, su is needed in all of this cause its a clearly a hack.
Code:
#Intent;action=Runtime.getRuntime().exec(new String[]{ "su","-c","input keyevent 19"});end

If that intent doesn't work try search engine-ing "#Intent;action=Runtime.getRuntime().exec(new String[]{ "su","-c","input keyevent 19"});end". Also check this out: http://pastebin.com/T4d7MgXP

Then just exit the sqlite editor, run "sync" in temu, maybe reboot and test it out.

Again though, I strongly recommend using gravity box.

Hope this helps. ;)

BTW, this entire procedure can be wrapped into a very hacky sqlite one-liner that you can fire off from adb. SQLite Editor is much easier to use though, same author as Root Explorer, and Root Explorer should have sqlite editor builtin if you got that. Just thought I'd mention it.

EDIT.. forgot to mention, backup your /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db before editing it. This is like heart surgery. Not aortic but like a lower ventricle patch job.

Last edited:
Reactions: infectedorganism

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    About Carbon

CarbonRom is an aftermarket firmware based on the Android Open Source Project. We are dedicated to fast, stable, and feature-filled roms, honesty and communication with our users, and openness with our code. We like frequent builds, with the very latest and greatest hardware support and fixes. We strive to not only provide you with the best rom we can build, but also to give back to the Android community and our fellow developers. For us, this is about creating something we can be proud of and hope you will enjoy.

Please feel free to look at, build, and use our code on CarbonDev GitHub. and on our Gerrit CarbonDev Gerrit.

We would like to thank CyanogenMod for their device trees, framework/settings mods and their code that was incorporated into this project. We also extend our gratitude to the devs whose code that we have incorporated. Proper authorship has been maintained and can be viewed on our repository.

Special thanks also go to Slim Rom for some of their features, PA, AOKP, and anyone else we may have borrowed commits from that hasn't been mentioned here. If you feel you have been unfairly left out, please - let us know.

While we make every effort to test these builds as much as possible, we are not responsible for anything that may happen to your device, family, pets, or perception of reality. We ask that you do your part to know your device and know how to recover from problems before you flash! If you have questions, ask your fellow users or ask us in #teamcarbon on freenode IRC.

Features

All of our features can be found on our site here:

Carbon Features

Here are some screenshots:

Carbon Screenshots

Carbon Updates

Join us on these Social Media Channels to keep yourself up-to-date on all the latest Carbon news, updates, contests, and more! Join our completely open Google+ community for insider conversation with devs and other users.

Download Carbon

All Carbon downloads and further information such as features, changelog, and FAQ can be found on our website.

Carbon Downloads

Changelog

For a detailed changelog, check out the changes made each night here:

Carbon Changelog

Support

We spend an astonishing amount of time developing this software. We can't spend much time on XDA as a result, so if you need support, please try the following:

1) Search. Search, search, search. Yes, you. I don't care how unique or important your question is, it's very likely someone has adressed it already. Especially if you're even close to new at this.

2) Read our FAQ, which can be found on our website. Carbon FAQ

3) Ask a question in your device forum. Someone will no doubt try to help you. Warning: this help may come in the form of telling you it's a dumb question that has been asked before. See step 1 - such are the perils of asking questions when you haven't done the research yourself. Android is about helping yourself.

4) Ask a question on our IRC channel. Connect to #teamcarbon on irc.freenode.net or click here. You'll find several other Carbon fans and usually one or more devs as well. Please be polite.

Who is Team Carbon?

Find out here:

Carbon Team

Remember, every penny you send to us goes right back into the rom. It's used for hardware, server costs, etc - all the things that help us make Carbon better with every release. Your support means the world to us! If you've enjoyed Carbon, please consider a donation toward this goal. Thank you, and we hope you continue to enjoy Carbon!

XDA:DevDB Information
    [ROM][AOSP][Nightly/Release] CarbonRom KitKat [toro], ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Contributors
    CarbonDev, winner00
    ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information

Created 2014-02-04
    Last Updated 2014-06-07

Lol l don't know
    I was just trying to beat quickdraw to the post

4/25 is up...
    Check the Change log... ;)

Only way I've been able to download the ROM was on a computer then transfer it to the phone. It's also the only way to get the Carbon site to function and display correctly.
    After selecting Toro, the right panel then says nightly and stable. Selecting nightly opens up the list of the updates by date.
    Trying on mobile just didn't work for me.
    I just dirty fashed 24 over 23