[Q] HDMI cable

Search This thread

badasschris

Nov 14, 2008
Anyone know where one can be brought? also why have I read stuff about the s2 having mini usb? it doesn't it has the same propriety connector as the galaxy s.

badasschris

Nov 14, 2008
It's MHL. It's the supposed new 'standard' for connectivity. I think most devices are using that connection nowadays. Last I heard was Clove saying the MHL adapters won't be out until June.

really? so the original galaxy s had mhl as well? Any suggestions on what to do with my fancy new phone? so far apart from being super quick it just seems like a sleaker bigger galaxy s, I cant think of anything my galaxy s couldn't do :S

Oh I know I'm gonna see if the wii mote works on this thing

Xero Xenith

Sep 4, 2010
really? so the original galaxy s had mhl as well? Any suggestions on what to do with my fancy new phone? so far apart from being super quick it just seems like a sleaker bigger galaxy s, I cant think of anything my galaxy s couldn't do :S

Oh I know I'm gonna see if the wii mote works on this thing

I can't find any evidence that it did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_High-definition_Link

It's the new standard, but that doesn't mean older devices support it. The SGS2 is one of the first AFAIK :)

D

Deleted member 2842059

But nothing on the market will currently work? HDMI out from a mobile is just supercool!

ice_coffee

Oct 27, 2005
I have both an sgs1 and sgs 2, my charger fits the micro usb (the only i/o connector) on the phones, perfectly

DavidMc0

Oct 5, 2007
Glasgow
The connectors should be the same on the S1 and S2, but only the S2 is MHL compatible.

I think MHL can use any 5 pin connector to send an HDMI signal while receiving power for charging.

I'm not sure if you'll be able to use the MHL HDMI out and USB at the same time, but I hope this is possible.

I'm also guessing that the adaptor will need to be a clever one with circuitry rather than a passive adaptor. Does anyone know if this will definitely be the case, and if so I'd imagine it'll have cost implications! Hope I'm wrong and a passive adaptor is possible :)

saquib

Jun 15, 2004
Lancashire
Coming from a LG Optimus 2x, that came with a Micro USB ---> HDMI cable. These are available from Ebay for a GBP 10 - would these work?

badasschris

Nov 14, 2008
Yea guessing its just MHL compatible as the old port was usb compatible. Thats annoying, with all the talk of this new standard usb-hdmi port I was assuming it would use a standard connector and not a proprietary one.

It stupid really if all manufacturers used the same connector we wouldn't have to have multiple chargers/docks/cables

NZtechfreak

Sep 5, 2008
You can't use the USB port for MHL and USB functions at the same time, this is confirmed (if you search for MHL at youTube there is a great video with a person from the MHL consortium explaining it).

To badasschris: this isn't a proprietary port. Samsung, Nokia, Sony, HTC, Toshiba, and quite a few other partners are involved with it, it seems likely to become the standard for mobile devices (iPhone aside, I am sure Apply will continue to push their proprietary ports).

badasschris

Nov 14, 2008
You can't use the USB port for MHL and USB functions at the same time, this is confirmed (if you search for MHL at youTube there is a great video with a person from the MHL consortium explaining it).

To badasschris: this isn't a proprietary port. Samsung, Nokia, Sony, HTC, Toshiba, and quite a few other partners are involved with it, it seems likely to become the standard for mobile devices (iPhone aside, I am sure Apply will continue to push their proprietary ports).

Are you absolutely sure it isnt proprietary? Why I am getting confused is because it has the same port as the galaxy s1 and I heard nothing about that being a standard port and you always have to buy a samsung charger not a [standard port] charger e.g. mini usb charger for any devices which have mini usb. So you are saying at some point the other manufactorers will have the same port and I will be able to use my galaxy s charger to charge them?

NZtechfreak

Sep 5, 2008
Galaxy S is a standard micro USB port, and lacks the MHL connection, its not proprietary at all, I use several non-Samsung cables to charge the phone in my car and from PCs. Most manufacturers, Apple excluded, use micro USB charging now.

The port in the Galaxy SII is not the same as the Galaxy S, as it has MHL connectivity in addition, but its function as a micro USB port for mass memory and charging is perfectly standard, and doesn't require special cables or connectors of any kind.

Reactions: badasschris

badasschris

Nov 14, 2008
Galaxy S is a standard micro USB port, and lacks the MHL connection, its not proprietary at all, I use several non-Samsung cables to charge the phone in my car and from PCs. Most manufacturers, Apple excluded, use micro USB charging now.

The port in the Galaxy SII is not the same as the Galaxy S, as it has MHL connectivity in addition, but its function as a micro USB port for mass memory and charging is perfectly standard, and doesn't require special cables or connectors of any kind.

lol I had to thank you there I've been a right plonker. I remember seeing someone say the origional galaxy s was micro usb and then when I saw it I thought that't not micro usb. It just clicked I have been getting micro and mini usb confused. When anyone said micro I immediately assumed mini

Glad I got that sorted.

DavidMc0

Oct 5, 2007
Glasgow

That sucks. I was hoping to look into making a tablet dock that used a USB capacitive touch screen & HDMI output for the screen.

A laptop dock using Bluetooth for the keyboard and HDMI for the screen would still be possible, or a tablet that used Bluetooth for the touch-screen.

This phone is powerful - it's annoying not to be able to use the hardware for more than just a phone.

I reckon Motorola is thinking along the right lines with the Atrix, and I hoped other manufacturers would be too, but this combined port indicates Samsung are probably not.

badasschris

Nov 14, 2008
That sucks. I was hoping to look into making a tablet dock that used a USB capacitive touch screen & HDMI output for the screen.

A laptop dock using Bluetooth for the keyboard and HDMI for the screen would still be possible, or a tablet that used Bluetooth for the touch-screen.

This phone is powerful - it's annoying not to be able to use the hardware for more than just a phone.

I reckon Motorola is thinking along the right lines with the Atrix, and I hoped other manufacturers would be too, but this combined port indicates Samsung are probably not.

Plus you have the added fact that samsung like to mess with bluetooth meaning many devices wont work with it. I really hope the bluetooth situation gets fixed somehow as this device paired with a screen and a bluetooth keyboard/mouse and game pad gives you a portable computer / games console. without it its just an amazing phone

NZtechfreak

Sep 5, 2008
This should work perfectly with bluetooth mouse and keyboard, my SGSI does. It should also work with a Zeemote, unfortunately it doesn't have enough buttons to be that good for using in emulators.

jrinco11

Jul 7, 2005
I can confirm that the igo stowaway bluetooth keyboard works fine w/the SGS2 in case anyone's curious

davidoff08

May 6, 2011
So far i have only seen two places selling them Clove and Expansys are doing it 2 £24.99 they ar egetting them in on the 28th May

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Still waiting for Samsung, no where to get them right now, no other manufacturers.