Search This thread

supercurio

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
May 31, 2010
Chambéry
spectrastudy.com
Hi DROID Charge owners!

VoodooScreenTuning.png

Samsung was so kind and sent me an Infuse 4G to help me developing for it. Thanks Samsung Mobile Korea ;)

Infuse use a beautiful huge 4.5" Super AMOLED Plus screen.. But its driven with Galaxy S screen settings
DROID Charge is very similar to the Infuse 4G, except the display is a tad smaller. Super AMOLED Plus screen is also optimized for non "Plus" aka Pentile matrix.
That's why by default everything is over-sharpened and colors over-saturated.

I added preliminary support today for much more faithful screen settings in my one of my in-dev apps "Voodoo Screen Tuning", available for free on Android Market.
This app is very much experimental and not a final product. See it as an internal leak from a R&D lab. But as Linus tells: publish often, publish early :D

Please take a look at the app description, and have fun testing this app!
I need your feedback, so.. see you soon.

Last edited:

toby1064

Dec 10, 2010
Oak Harbor, WA
Installed, I see there are two options, native and samsung. I assume native is to return to stock and samsung are to switch to the optimized settings? I got superuser request and approved after hitting the samsung button. Didn't notice anything immediately so I rebooted to see if that would make a difference.

Don't know or can't tell if there is a difference.

Any way to tell? Good news is it didn't crash on the charge.

SuperFan86

Sep 26, 2009
Aiken
I installed and swapped between the two. I couldn't tell any difference.

I am on a voodoo kernel so I wonder if that makes a difference...

Sent from my SCH-I510 using XDA App

toby1064

Dec 10, 2010
Oak Harbor, WA
I don't see any immediate changes in the look of the screen, nothing changes (or it's so slight as to be unnoticable, and I do have pretty good vision) when looking at a high res picture with the overlay on and cycling back and forth.

But it is doing something, the button backlighting turns off and turns back on, but only when pressing the native button. Or maybe I'm seeing things from staring at my phone for the last 10 minutes like a jeweler setting a diamond or something.

Edit: It is sharper on native, very small text is more defined. Cool.

Last edited:
Reactions: rmanaka

supercurio

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
May 31, 2010
Chambéry
spectrastudy.com
Samsung setting is over-sharpened, which means it should "look" sharper, but all it does for real is exhibiting a ton of artifacts.

I guess it's why you find "native" sharper, because it just display accurately pixels as they're supposed to be :)
− apply sharpening general UI elements and text really makes no sense to me, so it's not the case anymore.

Also: note that if your eyes are accustomed to an artificially sharpened image, the normal one looks blurry for a few seconds in comparison.
But that's just an optical illusion.

Last edited:
Reactions: rand4ll

sneakysolidbake

Oct 12, 2009
Michigan
If anything, native appears oversharpened. I can even see a bit of a grid on my solid green background. Text under native, to me, is reminiscent of my old fascinate which obviously had a pentile matrix but that might just be the roboto font I'm using.

Edit: okay I take back that bit about it looking oversharpened. Just took a little getting used to when looking at text but DAMN there is quite a noticeable improvement in picture clarity. Thanks a lot. :)

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SuperFan86

Sep 26, 2009
Aiken
Just put the screen in overlay and swapped between the options. The OP is correct, the difference hurts your eyes for just a few seconds, but once you go to "Native" you will never go back to "Samsung." The change is VERY noticeable on your home screen app icons.

Native:

Edges are sharper and lines are cleaner. Text appears slightly crisper and loses the perimeter fuzz that I thought was light bleeding before.

Samsung:

The text is a little "better on the eyes" but at the same time it isn't as clear as in the other mode. Lines and text have a very very slight bleed to them.

As a side note, No color changes are experienced. This goes along with the OP's previous comment. The change is simply making the pixels on the screen display more accurately not making the colors display differently.

That's my review. I also noticed that I wanted to keep my phone at a a higher brightness to really enjoy the screen experience.

NotATreoFan

Moderator Emeritus
Just put the screen in overlay and swapped between the options. The OP is correct, the difference hurts your eyes for just a few seconds, but once you go to "Native" you will never go back to "Samsung." The change is VERY noticeable on your home screen app icons.

Native:

Edges are sharper and lines are cleaner. Text appears slightly crisper and loses the perimeter fuzz that I thought was light bleeding before.

Samsung:

The text is a little "better on the eyes" but at the same time it isn't as clear as in the other mode. Lines and text have a very very slight bleed to them.

As a side note, No color changes are experienced. This goes along with the OP's previous comment. The change is simply making the pixels on the screen display more accurately not making the colors display differently.

That's my review. I also noticed that I wanted to keep my phone at a a higher brightness to really enjoy the screen experience.

Correct. I did not mean to indicate that the color gamut was changed, but my old wallpaper definitely looks better.

DragoonBrethren

Oct 4, 2011
Chicago
+1
Native “looks" better on high Res photos.
Samsung makes text almost looked bold.
Proof: try the overlay option and open xda on your phone/Google and find a high Res picture, then just switch back and forth. You'll be able to tell the difference easily.

Sent from my HUMBLE by Danalo1979 using xda premium

blarrick

Jun 26, 2011
North Hollywood
While it's not an insane difference the Native settings are visibly sharper. Thanks for your hard work on everything Voodoo, Supercurio. Especially Voodoo Sound, with some good Sennheiser headphones + .flac format music and your voodoo sound my music sounds absolutely incredible. Well worth the $4 :]

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi DROID Charge owners!

VoodooScreenTuning.png

Samsung was so kind and sent me an Infuse 4G to help me developing for it. Thanks Samsung Mobile Korea ;)

Infuse use a beautiful huge 4.5" Super AMOLED Plus screen.. But its driven with Galaxy S screen settings
    DROID Charge is very similar to the Infuse 4G, except the display is a tad smaller. Super AMOLED Plus screen is also optimized for non "Plus" aka Pentile matrix.
    That's why by default everything is over-sharpened and colors over-saturated.

I added preliminary support today for much more faithful screen settings in my one of my in-dev apps "Voodoo Screen Tuning", available for free on Android Market.
    This app is very much experimental and not a final product. See it as an internal leak from a R&D lab. But as Linus tells: publish often, publish early :D

Please take a look at the app description, and have fun testing this app!
    I need your feedback, so.. see you soon.
    that didn't work
    trying to find the apk on my phone....
    edit: here you go
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28168908/Voodoo Screen Tuning R&D (dev snapshot 47).apk
    this is build 47
    Voodoo Display Expert codebase supports Infuse 4G already.
    I'm working hard to prepare a preview release as soon as possible so hopefully you won't have to wait for too long.
    Hey nobody cares what bus you took to school little buddy ...
    ;)

That's right, no need to apologizes ;)
    I'm in the process of rewriting the app, the R&D project will soon be dead & removed from market as planned.

(and yes the new app still does the same thing for free and will have apply on boot capability ;)