Nexus 5 showing up as ACER ADB Interface Windows 8.1

Search This thread

SilentGTX

Aug 12, 2013
Hi guys, I recently installed windows 8.1 and now my N5 shows up in device manager as ACER ADB Interface and I can't acces MTP , I didn't had this problem with windows 7 , it worked perfectly back than ( i have unlocked and rooted my N5 with windows 7 without any issues ) . What can I do to make it work with windows 8.1 ?

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
I had the same, you have to go into Device Manager and roll back the driver to the Google one. Proper PITA

wvcadle

Dec 31, 2011
I had the same, you have to go into Device Manager and roll back the driver to the Google one. Proper PITA

I rolled the driver back, but it keeps updating to it. I've uninstalled and deleted the driver, yet it keeps reinstalling it. Somehow, my MTP connection started working again. Not sure how though. If I knew which KB update it was, I'd uninstall it from there.

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
I rolled the driver back, but it keeps updating to it. I've uninstalled and deleted the driver, yet it keeps reinstalling it. Somehow, my MTP connection started working again. Not sure how though. If I knew which KB update it was, I'd uninstall it from there.

The other option is to manually change the driver in Device Manager from the ACER one to the Google one. I think it's happened as M$ have the ACER driver digitally signed whereas the Google one isn't so it'll always choose the signed driver...

wvcadle

Dec 31, 2011
The other option is to manually change the driver in Device Manager from the ACER one to the Google one. I think it's happened as M$ have the ACER driver digitally signed whereas the Google one isn't so it'll always choose the signed driver...

I'm not sure how to do that, because, of course, if you try to update it, it will say that the Acer one installed is already the best driver. And after uninstalling it, upon plugging it back in, it updates to the Acer driver automatically again.

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
I'm not sure how to do that, because, of course, if you try to update it, it will say that the Acer one installed is already the best driver. And after uninstalling it, upon plugging it back in, it updates to the Acer driver automatically again.

You have to manually check and select 'choose from a list' and you'll see the MTP option as well as the Acer one. Select the MTP one and you're good to go

wvcadle

Dec 31, 2011
You have to manually check and select 'choose from a list' and you'll see the MTP option as well as the Acer one. Select the MTP one and you're good to go

Btw... thanks for your help.

I went through those steps, but on my system, the MTP driver wasn't listed as an option.

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
Reactions: mo_danish

SilentGTX

Aug 12, 2013
Yeah , I forgot , sorry about that :) . I managed to make it work by downloading this drivers " https://dl-ssl.google.com/android/repository/latest_usb_driver_windows.zip " . After i have extracted the driver i plugged my N5 to the PC, than I went to the Device Manager i right clicked the Acer ADB Interface and I have selected Update Drivers . After that I selected the folder where i have extracted the drivers , than i chose " Let me pick from a list ... " , I selected MTP USB Device and Voila , it works ! :D

PS: You can also try to install the LG Driver " http://tool.xcdn.gdms.lge.com/dn/downloader.dev?fileKey=UW00120120425 "

Last edited:

guju83

Jul 11, 2012
Bangalore
Yeah , I forgot , sorry about that :) . I managed to make it work by downloading this drivers " https://dl-ssl.google.com/android/repository/latest_usb_driver_windows.zip " . After i have extracted the driver i plugged my N5 to the PC, than I went to the Device Manager i right clicked the Acer ADB Interface and I have selected Update Drivers . After that I selected the folder where i have extracted the drivers , than i chose " Let me pick from a list ... " , I selected MTP USB Device and Voila , it works ! :D

PS: You can also try to install the LG Driver " http://tool.xcdn.gdms.lge.com/dn/downloader.dev?fileKey=UW00120120425 "

LG driver helped me to resolve issue while installing LG driver got pop up message for the missing MTP package for windows 8.1, i followed link to download missing package and install after reboot it resolved issue in my Windows 8.1, Thanks for your help.:good:

spinninbsod

May 17, 2013
new york city
I can never seem to get adb or fastboot to work I gave up and dual booted my computer with Linux Linux hasn't given me problems with adb or fastboot

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

daniel280187

Oct 30, 2014
This worked for me

Hi guys, I had the same problem. My phone was configured as MTP but when i connected to Win 7 it would appears in the Device Manager list as "ADB", this wouldn't allow me to transfer files so what worked for me was:

1- Connect your Mobile to the PC and it appears as ADB Driver (In the device manager screen), rignt click on ADB and select Browse my computer for driver software.
2- Choose let me pick a from list of devices on my computer and choose the option MTP instead of ADB.
3- Did that and problem solve, hope this helps for you !!

empathyvirus

Apr 23, 2007
Delete this Acer ADB driver when you uninstall it

I have the same issue. Here is what I did and that resolved the issue. Go to "Device Manager" to uninstall the Acer driver. The uninstall window pops up asking you if you want to uninstall it. There is a check box that says "Delete the driver." Make sure you check that off and then go ahead and uninstall it. Once that's done, plug your Nexus 5 back in. The correct MTP driver will now be installed and your computer will recognize the phone normally. Hope this helps.

Reactions: wayne710

mabraham77

Nov 17, 2014
Experiencing the same on Windows 7...have tried everything suggested

Really hoping someone can help because I've just about had it with this. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I have a brand new Nexus 5 16GB. As others have indicated, when I plug my phone into my computer with debugging enabled, it creates an "Android Composite ADB Interface" device listed under "ACER Device" in Device Manager. See attachment.

I have tried every permutation of the 'uninstall driver, manually install Google USB driver' solution, to no avail. The best way I can describe what I'm seeing is that Windows is forcibly categorizing the device as an 'ACER Device' even though the driver files themselves are telling it otherwise.

If debugging is DISABLED, and EITHER MTP or PTP is ENABLED, everything is just fine - the default Windows drivers for those devices kick in, and no 'ACER Device' category is created.

If debugging is ENABLED, and MTP and PTP are DISABLED, when I tell Windows to use the Google USB driver, it says that the device could not be installed.

If debugging is ENABLED, and MTP is ENABLED, the 'ACER Device' issue rears its ugly head even when I tell Windows to use the Google USB driver.

I've already disabled Windows automatically fetching a driver online, so that's not to blame.

If this is the result of a Windows Update, does anyone know the number of the update so I might try uninstalling it? I can't seem to find it despite searching.

Hoping someone out there can help. Thanks!

Attachments

• acer-device.png
    acer-device.png
    69.9 KB · Views: 84
Reactions: nhatientri

Top Liked Posts