[Q] Android Security

Search This thread

vboyz103

Apr 9, 2006
I would not suggest to do any banking on any mobile device not just android specially with hacked roms. The risk is too much for instance losing ur device and if ur device is rooted then it data is exposed.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

Mast3rpyr0

Jan 27, 2010
Columbus
I use Mint just to view my bank account, if i ever lose my device, they still need my pin number to get into the app(not your bank pin, any pin you set) and i can always change the password of the account online.

Over a cell network is probably THE safest way to bank. I trust that Cyanogen hasnt done anything that will steal my bank info.

drmacinyasha

Jun 4, 2010
Sacramento
denh.am
Unlock screen password + BoA app doesn't have my password saved, AND has most of the username censored. 3G is also fairly secure, compared to cable or a WiFi connection.

xHausx

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 5, 2010
Central Florida
No matter how you bank online it will be insecure IMO, using an unrooted android phone is probably a little bit more secure then using a PC or mac though. Just don't set it up so anyone can get in there without using a password or something.

I say unrooted because once you root it's a whole new ballgame. Using any custom ROM or giving any 3rd party app SU permissions means they have a free for all to any and everything your phone has and does.

Kornsaq

Jul 25, 2010
Nashville
I use the web on the phone to check my accounts, but I do not use an app for it.

I also make sure to never save passwords on the browser as well.

Josh H.

Aug 3, 2008
Just don't save your usernames/passwords if you bank on the browser, and make sure to tell any banking app to log out when you leave the program (you might not even be ABLE to stay logged in).

All data through CDMA cell networks is encrypted by default, not to mention the additional encryption that any reputable bank's website/app will have. As was mentioned above, online banking with your phone truly is the safest way to bank online.

In regards to rooting, it is only as dangerous as you make it. If you root and then grant SU permissions to "Swe3T fREE BaBEs 4 U" app, you're probably asking for trouble. But I only grant SU to Quick Boot and SetCPU, and other legitimate applications that don't ask for more permissions than they require. Just don't be an idiot and you'll be fine! :D

vboyz103

Apr 9, 2006
It's really your choice to use it or not all it comes down to. I am in the Information Security field and when you learned about how things work and how to get around them. It's scary!

SMARTPHONEPC

May 29, 2010
It's really your choice to use it or not all it comes down to. I am in the Information Security field and when you learned about how things work and how to get around them. It's scary!

Taking field bias in consideration, I'm looking for your insight on how to make it most secure or if it's really necessary to wait for further security measures.

There are ways to practice safe sex afterall..:D

cjohnson

Feb 7, 2007
i'm still not quite sure how sending data over a CDMA network is any more secure than any other means. i mean sure CDMA is encrypted to begin with; yes. on top of that, any banking you do should be encrypted with SSL at least. great. now you've got two layers of encryption/security there. the fact is though regardless if it's CDMA or SSL, you're still transmitting data out thru the open air where anything with an antenna can grab it. it doesn't really matter how encrypted the data is at this point, it's unsecure in that is is freely available with only an antenna. security is not really how secure the data is at the presentation layer, but how secure it is at the physical layer as well. ;)

Last edited:

uniquenameevo

Jun 18, 2010

I have a very similar job to you. I used to think the same.

Thing is, getting around those things is possible, but less likely that most other ways. Getting a wallet or purse stolen is common. Handing your CC to a server at a restaurant or bar and not seeing what they do with it is pretty trusting, no? Bet we've all done that.

Do the best you can, and be watchful of your accounts. I bank on my phone with more confidence than I would have at Starbucks on wifi.