New ROM :: 407 OFFICIAL GB ROM IS OUT

Search This thread

cdzo72

I haven't used linux in years so I don't know how to tell you what to do to get adb working in linux, but I'm sure it's easier than doing it in windows. So I see no need for you to set up a physical windows machine just for fastboot flashing.

As far as the image, the answer is no, no problem with the baseband being temporarily different. If you don't have the correct baseband for the region to decrypt the 407 package, then you will get a FOTA mismatch...

BUT if you want to backup your current system BEFORE doing any tinkering then you have to flash StreakMod FIRST, boot directly into recovery (letting it boot into Android will overwrite the StreakMod recovery), and make a nandroid from there.

Now boot into fastboot again and flash the stock recovery, boot into recovery and then flash the 407 update.pkg

I think you can handle it from there as far as flashing custom ROM.

It's such a breath of fresh air to give advice to someone who has actually done some reading!! Good luck and enjoy!

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
Fastboot on *nix and osx isnt covered well here, mainly because there's few people that use fastboot on those two, and post enough here for me to make a guide for.

But fastboot is covered well on the internets™. Aside from avoiding using fastboot erase/fastboot -w the S5 works as expected under fastboot

I may need to make an article explaining the difference between the version numbers with regards to your questions.

Basic break down:
  • baseband ver: version of the installed modem baseband
  • oem ver: version of the actual rom currently installed
  • recovery ver: version of the currently installed recovery

None of them require eachother, they merely work best together. The only cavat is that by default the installed rom attempts to reinstall it's matching recovery on every boot unless you disable it.
It happens to be the same version as obviously that makes the most sense. You could techincally hijack it and have it install any rec, but it's best to simply disable it and flash manually.

For flashing:
  • Regions must match! 00 -> 00, 14 -> 14, 31 -> 31, etc
  • recovery must be same age or older: 350 -> 407: ok, 407 -> 407: ok, 407 -> 406: not ok

Last edited:
Reactions: prshah

hunderteins

Sep 7, 2009
--> My primary OS is linux (Ubuntu 10.10). I understand that Fastboot can also be used in Linux. Considering my newbishness, is it better that I arrange a Windows (physical) machine to upgrade?

adb, fastboot and friends are in the http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
You need to install the platform-tools inside the sdk and setup udev like this
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0bb4", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev"​
Using adb and fastboot on linux is painless. Think twice going windows for this.
The guides about the streak and fastboot (especially not using fastboot -w or erase) should be paid attention to.

Good luck,
hunderteins

prshah

Mar 29, 2012
If you don't have the correct baseband for the region to decrypt the 407 package, then you will get a FOTA mismatch...

BUT if you want to backup your current system BEFORE doing any tinkering then you have to flash StreakMod FIRST, boot directly into recovery (letting it boot into Android will overwrite the StreakMod recovery), and make a nandroid from there.

Now boot into fastboot again and flash the stock recovery, boot into recovery and then flash the 407 update.pkg

I think you can handle it from there as far as flashing custom ROM.

It's such a breath of fresh air..

Thank you for your kind words, and your very informative post. I won't pretend that everything is clear now, but at least I have a direction to continue my "research"! (Now reading up on "FOTA mismatch")

Aside from avoiding using fastboot erase/fastboot -w the S5 works as expected under fastboot

Basic break down:
  • baseband ver: version of the installed modem baseband
  • oem ver: version of the actual rom currently installed
  • recovery ver: version of the currently installed recovery

None of them require eachother, they merely work best together. The only cavat is that by default the installed rom attempts to reinstall it's matching recovery on every boot unless you disable it.
It happens to be the same version as obviously that makes the most sense. You could techincally hijack it and have it install any rec, but it's best to simply disable it and flash manually.

For flashing:
  • Regions must match! 00 -> 00, 14 -> 14, 31 -> 31, etc
  • recovery must be same age or older: 350 -> 407: ok, 407 -> 407: ok, 406 -> 407: not ok

Thanks for this information. It clears up a lot of nonsense rattling around inside my head.

Using adb and fastboot on linux is painless.

Thank you for this. It saves me the trouble of having to dig out an old Windows machine from somewhere.

Yes, I had read the BIG RED LETTERS warning about fastboot -w, but thanks to all who brought it up anyway.

I'm guessing that I still need to understand more, because I am now rather more confused. The problem with reading older threads is that sometimes it contains information that is no longer applicable. To know which information is still valid and which is now not required takes some time and patience, I guess.

I will take some time to organize and research this new information, and post back with fresh specific doubts, if any.

If I figure everything out, I'll post back details, especially about fastboot+linux combo; maybe it will help others.

I know from experience that actually performing the operation will crystalize this information, but, understandably, I am rather scared of "bricking" the device.

Thanks to all! Very useful!

prshah

Mar 29, 2012
2.2.2 to 2.3.3 upgrade

Hello,

After a lot more reading up, I begin to realise that it is not so easy to brick the Streak 5.

This means that I am now feeling a little more confident to take first steps.

So I was considering moving from 351/00 to 360/00 (latest retail ROM). I am pretty sure that I know the flashing procedure for this now, so I won't bother explaining it.

However, I do have a doubt; when I go to Settings-About Phone-System Updates, it leads me to dell's site with a message "No software updates available at this time". Should it not offer to update to 360 (even if not 407)?

Should I just not bother with the "official" upgrade channel, and go ahead with 360 anyway? Any chance of screwing up my device?

Cheers,

prshah

Mar 29, 2012
All clear.

F me, EVERYTHING that I have asked has already been asked and answered. Pages 15~20 of this thread are especially informative and relevant to my case.

Now Im off to either make or break my streak. Will post back with results and updates.

Cheers,

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
360 isnt a publicly released build, it was a leak.

The update servers only offer public -> public build OTAs.

Any rom that was packed into a PKG but not released on the OTA server publicly is likely a hotfix that they dont wanna bother releasing to the general public.

prshah

Mar 29, 2012
Thank you all

Hello,

IT WAS EASY! Thanks to the huge resources available on the forums, I was EASILY able to upgrade my Dell Streak 5 to Android 2.3.3.

For other seekers of information, I am summarising my efforts; let me re-emphasise that all the information and questions I had were already present in this very thread; it's just that it's such a lot of information that one has to wade patiently through it.

I started with Baseband GAUSB1A135100-EU, which translates into "pkg version" 351, and region 00 (see last 5 digits before hyphen).

I wanted to upgrade to 407 region 14. Since there was a change in region, I first installed 350, which is region 14. I don't think there would have been any problem installing 407 directly over 351, but some posters have mentioned that not installing a correct region baseband initially has caused the soft button LEDs to flash continuously.

To be on the safe side, I first installed 350 (region 14) using the instructions for flashing from the XDA Dell Streak 5 wiki. All tools and files are also downloaded from links in the XDA Streak 5 wiki. I copied the "stock" (original) pkg for 350 into the SD card, and renamed it "update.pkg". I then downloaded and installed 350 recovery using "fastboot", then booted into recovery (did not allow phone to boot normally) and chose to update via update.pkg on sdcard.

One reboot later, I was successfully running 350 region 14. I then went to Settings-About phone-Software update, and the phone detected a new update (407). Installing it was as easy as downloading it on the phone and touching the completed download notification in the phone.

Now using 2.3.3 GAUSB1A1406214-EU. Very smooth, and definitely faster than 351.

Learning points:
  • It's all out there. You gotta look. Hard.
  • Some say "Update.pkg". That didn't work for me. I had to specifically name it "update.pkg" (lowercase)
  • I used linux, and Fastboot+ADB package for linux. Very easy to use. But one MUST go through the wiki first.

Thank you all posters who displayed patience with my posts.

Cheers,

oldwolfkkk

Apr 6, 2012
Toronto
Canadian Roggers Dell streakers!!

Hi All, I am having an issue with the actual installation of the update.pkg. I followed the instructions on the first page about flashing, downloading the update and where to place the files on the SD card etc (it was my first time), so I believe everything should be right heading into the update. When I run the update it falls over during the verification of the update:

Andriod System Recovery Utility - GAUSB1A135100

etc etc

Verifying update package...
Installing update...
assert failed: getprop("ro.product.fota.model") == "KT" || getprop("ro.product.fota.model") == ""
E:Error in /sdcard/update.pkg.dec
(Status 7)

I have got that same message before the flash, after the flash and tried a factory reset then flash, still the same message. Any ideas? :confused:
I had the same message. the recovery file is not right. I had 2.2.1 from Roggers canada unlocked, what I did factory reset then I downloaded both file from the post #10 The Manii
but My dell streak couldn`t connect on computer because windows couldn`t find the driver for it so I download fastboot file (Setting up fastboot for windows) from:
http://xdaforums.com/wiki/Dell_Streak_5/Flashing_Guide
but still was not installing the driver, then I manually installed the driver by >>> hardware>>properties>> change setting>> driver>>update browser>>browse my computer for driver software and showed the unzipped folder of fastboot and after this I could connect my streak to the computer on fastboot mod. then I used (MultiRecoveryFlasher.v.0.5.1) which is available on:
http://www.itsmyiphoneworld.com/uploaded-files by Mary Wiekel,(under he file Android boot Flahser). I did the same things she does on youtube here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5DE...DvjVQa1PpcFO9G7sdSENReARSvm8177qq70BtwOpRGDQ=
the only thing is after unzipping the (MultiRecoveryFlasher.v.0.5.1) I replaced the recovery file on the folder: StreakMod-Recovery by the recovery file: stock (407 recovery.img) which I had downloaded before. then I followed the instructions for flashing as Mary says on youtube. I did it 3 times and finally it took the file and installed the recovery. after rebooting I reboot into recovery mode and able to install the 407 update.pkg which I changed the name to update.pkg on sd card and that`s it!! it worked for me. the system is much more stable and better. just after installing for the first time u need to change the Korean language to English by pushing the bottom on right down part of the screen as the others mentioned. Thanks everyone. I didn`t use superuser.zip or 350 recovery file. They might work. this was the way I took and works good for me.
I didn`t have any kind of Rom or flashing just unlocked roggers. this is for Android Canadian roggers 2.2.1 version.
sorry took long and might be repeated many parts but I am not an expert and I read a lot to do this I hope it work for canadian roggers. no more crap roggers files there!!!

HadToHappn

Jan 12, 2011
Memphis
Recovery Flashing issues

Hey guys, thanks for all the hard work and thought out responses on this forum. Got a couple of issues with regards to upgrading to 2.3

-----First issue-----
tried flashing 406 then 407 recovery. Went through the process like normal. Phone rebooted and I ran the update package and got the FOTA Mismatch. I know why, The flashing of 406 or 407 never when through. I read earlier in the forums that some people were having problems flashing the 350 recovery so I didn't try it. I flashed the recovery files and got the successful prompt 6 times and my phone still didn't flash the recovery.

-----Second issue-----
Used the QDL tool to upgrade my streak from 1.6 to 2.2. Then tried to flash the different recovery files, including 350 to streak. Everything says its successful. But its not. On top of that, when I try to go into recovery, and select the update pkg option, my screen displays a black screen and hangs. Not even attempting the update where it was at least attempting it the first time.

B4 anyone comments on me being on 1.6, I just received a new streak from dell because my old one was crapping out. Got it under warranty.i've been on here through the forums all day trying to find a clue to whats happening. I'm not new to flashing and fastboot. Spent a couple of hours digging through some info on here and the web. I've come up short. I'm willing to bet its something simple. My gut tells me it has partly something to do with using the qdl tool as far as the hanging goes.

Android: 2.2
Baseband: 30500-US
Build number 10688

Last edited:

HadToHappn

Jan 12, 2011
Memphis
Recovery Flashing issues

I also tried oldwolfkkk suggestion as well. Flashed it multiple times and still got nothing. Trying to find a way to revert it back to stock US 1.6. Everything I've tried so far has failed.

Got It working Guys!
Amazing what a little more research for a couple more hours can do!

Last edited:

oldwolfkkk

Apr 6, 2012
Toronto
I also tried oldwolfkkk suggestion as well. Flashed it multiple times and still got nothing. Trying to find a way to revert it back to stock US 1.6. Everything I've tried so far has failed.

Got It working Guys!
Amazing what a little more research for a couple more hours can do!

I am glad you made it! I just installed Go launcher EX by Go dev team from the market app`s, that rocks dudes..!! also for freezing answering/hang up botton issue I install a cool app named just shake free trust me it works perfect. :)

Last edited:

Mieki

Apr 24, 2009
I got it working, but I'm having the LED blinking issue. Is reflashing the whole thing the only way to fix it? Took me a good two hours just to get it working, I was afraid I bricked my Streak by then.

cdzo72

I got it working, but I'm having the LED blinking issue. Is reflashing the whole thing the only way to fix it? Took me a good two hours just to get it working, I was afraid I bricked my Streak by then.

You have to flash the amss and DSP1 files via fastboot

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Mieki

gabriel30

Jan 5, 2009
Manchester, UK

Steps:
1. Recovery (recovery flash: CleanFlasher look on Google)

2. ROM

Both files (recovery image + Olleh ROM):
Code:
http://xdaforums.com/wiki/Dell_Streak_5

You problem is now fixed :)

Reactions: Mieki

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello, I'm NeCoritol

Moments ago, Dell streak 5's OFFICIAL GB ROM was OUT
    (Sorry, my English)

Region :: Korea, Republic of

Carrier :: Olleh (KT)

DOWNLOAD :

http://mobileupdate.dell.com/PackageProductionLocations/Streak_407_20707_14.pkg
    Rom:
    Version: 407
    Build: 20707
    Android version: 2.3.3
    Build date: Dec 1, 2011

Changelog:
    • First official 2.3.3 pkg
    • Dell Stage 1.5
    • Swype 2.27.69.19339
    • BB version is named GAUSB1A1406214-xx instead of GAUSB1A140714-xx

It's exactly as simple as it sounds, it is only a marginal update from 406, but it's an official PKG. Recommended to flash the pkg for the proper basebands as per the general recommendation. (ie. 360 for any froyo custom rom users and this one for any gingerbread custom rom users) Manually flashing the amss and dsp1 is NOT recommended if it can be avoided, now that it is out it CAN be avoided.

Guides:
    (Read this to learn how to flash recoveries with fastboot)

Install instructions:
    1. Recommended: make a backup of userdata with preferred method
    2. Flash a region 14 recovery: stock 407 recovery.img
    3. download 407 update.pkg
    4. copy update.pkg to sdcard
    5. reboot into recovery mode
    6. follow onscreen instructions
    7. finished
    8. optional: reinstall streakmod
    9. optional: root with superuser.zip

Stock Deodexed + slimmed varient:
    407 is available as a zipaligned, deodexed, and slimmed down version:
    It has had all it's bundleware and enginneringmode apps removed.

Mod compability:
    • From 406 compatable roms:
      • Portrait mod
      • Theme mods

All previous GB based roms are 406 compatable, so any mods that were designed for 406 should work on 407
    Dude, don't wait any longer to move to a custom ROM. I did the same thing you did, going to 407 first. There are so many issues with it, I wish I'd made the jump to DSC ROM sooner. Everything works now, and is so much smoother than 407 was. I'm very pleased with DSC as it stands now. It's convinced me to hang onto the Streak for a little longer, maybe see what the next Nexus device is like.
    I got that when I had the wrong recovery flashed. If you are running a stock rom and flash the correct recovery, DO NOT let your phone boot after flashing the recovery. If you do, the stock recovery for your rom will be reinstalled upon boot. Flash the necessary recovery and do not reboot. Pull the battery, and immediately power up into recovery (both volume buttons). Update again and see if the problem remains.
    Once i install this. Can i then install Streaknod? Or will phone no longer be rooted?
    After installing this, fastboot flash streakmod, then go directly in streakmod and flash superuser.zip. You will now be rooted. Also, since this is a stock rom, when it boots it will overwrite streakmod with stock recovery. In /system folder there is a file named something along the lines of install-recovery-from-boot.p or similar. Delete this and it won't overwrite.