[Kernel] - 3.1.10 - JB - 1.4GHZ - Galaxy Tab 10.1 (11/19/12)

Search This thread

pershoot

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 1, 2008
Should be ok. Isimobile has done this (he has a 7500).

Check the thread in QA for his feedback and/or reach out to him for detailed steps.

goldlocke

Jan 28, 2009
Vienna
Thx pershoot for your Kernel work! Very much appreciated.
Could you plz elaborate on the May 3rd Kernel on your blog? Especially about the touchscren driver changes?
Thx alot.

twa_priv

Feb 10, 2011
Hmmm ... I know some people have reported the same issue (spread across a few other ICS threads I believe) ... came home and my tab was stuck on the CM boot animation.
It sat there probably a few hours because the tab felt pretty warm and the battery was almost empty.
This is the second time this happened to me - the first time a few weeks back when I started running your CM9 builds.

pershoot - how would I go to debug this in case it happens again. I tried to use adb to get some logs but adb didn't see the tab.
I'm running my own build (including kernel) based on yesterday's sources (CM + your probably now retired galaxy-2636 repo) - but I don't think this should matter.

Thanks

pershoot

Dec 1, 2008
Hmmm ... I know some people have reported the same issue (spread across a few other ICS threads I believe) ... came home and my tab was stuck on the CM boot animation.
It sat there probably a few hours because the tab felt pretty warm and the battery was almost empty.
This is the second time this happened to me - the first time a few weeks back when I started running your CM9 builds.

pershoot - how would I go to debug this in case it happens again. I tried to use adb to get some logs but adb didn't see the tab.
I'm running my own build (including kernel) based on yesterday's sources (CM + your probably now retired galaxy-2636 repo) - but I don't think this should matter.

Thanks

you most likely have corruption. check dmesg.. do you see lot of errors on mmcblk? check last_kmsg, what does it indicate?

you should odin back to 3.2 (the whole tab is now wiped), then come back up to cm.

it happens when you flash this thing a zillion times, ha. it was much worst in honeycomb.

ive never experienced any issue on cm9, but in HC alot.

Last edited:

pershoot

Dec 1, 2008
you most likely have corruption. check dmesg.. do you see lot of errors on mmcblk? check last_kmsg, what does it indicate?

you should odin back to 3.2 (the whole tab is now wiped), then come back up to cm.

it happens when you flash this thing a zillion times, ha. it was much worst in honeycomb.

ive never experienced any issue on cm9, but in HC alot.

you should post a log for me to see before you do the flash back/forward. i have yet to see this issue in all of its glory (no one has posted a log for me at all that I can see).

logcat of it looping, dmesg during that time, and last_kmsg.

thx.

twa_priv

Feb 10, 2011
you should post a log for me to see before you do the flash back/forward. i have yet to see this issue in all of its glory (no one has posted a log for me at all that I can see).

logcat of it looping, dmesg during that time, and last_kmsg.

thx.

Attached the last_kmsg and the current (after restart) kmsg, dmesg and logcat.

I can't see any last_kmsg log entries related to mmcblk. But there seems to be quite a lot of interesting other messages in there (not that I know what they mean:).

Also, since I have odin'ed back to 3.2 maybe about a week ago (after flashing your boot.tar.md5) to get rid at the triangle at boot, I'm going to wait a little and see if this issue happens again.

And lastly - sorry for bringing this up again:
I got the attached logs by changing to root in an adb shell and did something like "cat /proc/last_kmsg > /sdcard/last_kmsg.txt".
After that I connected my tab to my pc but these files weren't shown in explorer. I needed to reboot the tab in order to see them on the pc. Any idea why this would happen?

Thanks for your help

Edit:
logcat of it looping, dmesg during that time, and last_kmsg.thx.
I tried using adb while the tab was looping on the CM boot animation but adb didn't recognize my tab.

Attachments

• logs.zip
    158.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

pershoot

Dec 1, 2008
The dim issue came back for me after being up for 92hours (used to be 15 before)

Not perfect but shouldn't impact the majority of users. Ill keep digging in to it.

Note when this happens wifi will be frozen. Just hit power (it will dim). Let screen turn off. Turn back on (mxt will recalibrate). You can unlock now and wifi will reset, turn back on and reconnect.

RustyNailz

Jul 13, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Just encountered another instance of the screen becoming unresponsive on the latest version of the kernel. I was able to plug in usb and capture the dmesg log.

Had to long press the On/Off switch to regain control...

Attachments

• dmesg.zip
    22.9 KB · Views: 7

twa_priv

Feb 10, 2011
hey pershoot,

Just had another incident...

First my lockscreen became unresponsive (didn't accept any input) and while I tried to get some logs the tab rebooted and ended up sitting at the bootanimation again.

This time however, I was able to use adb to collect some logs. Attaching it here in case they might be helpful.

Thanks

Attachments

• lockscreen_freeze_and_bootloop.zip
    78.6 KB · Views: 8

pershoot

Dec 1, 2008
Im changing things around this wknd which should make this phantom bootloop situation a bit better.

The lockscreen dim issue will probly be there (as it has been since hc). Still need to investigate that and try and get it near perfection.

Last edited:

katestar

Mar 23, 2012
I read that you said you had tried to overclock the gpu in the past, may I ask if any progress has been made as the comment was a very long time ago please? I have been reading up on gpu overclocking and apparently most tegra 2 t20's gpu's can be oc'd to 384mhz and quite a few can get to 512mhz (which sounds far too good to be true) As playing decent games on the gtab is like hitting your head of a wall, everything just laggs a little bit. If you want to test gpu overclocking, I would be more than happy to test for you, to see if it actually increase frame rate, as your tab may not be able to overclock gpu but someone else can. To choose GPU clock speed, maybe you could use EXTweeks app for the interface, or teraks OC. Gpu's are starting to get more, and more important and having a faster gpu would probably be better than oc'ing cpu by any amount. I really don't want to spend £400+ (That I could never afford anymore, double dip recession in the UK has hit me hard) on a new tab to play games at a higher fps, as the cpu and CM9 (thank you by the way) make my tab more than fast enough. I would be more than happy to test, if you would like :)

Edit: I would never normally ask for gpu overclocking on phones for battery reasons, but as your tab has a great battery life, I am not so bothered about battery anymore, I actually underclock my s2 Mali-400 MP from 267mhz to 200mhz even though it can be oc'd 400mhz to show that I am not an overcloing junky, and I only would like gpu overclocking on our tab for purely practical reasons, I don't care about benchmark result :)

Last edited:

pershoot

Dec 1, 2008
I read that you said you had tried to overclock the gpu in the past, may I ask if any progress has been made as the comment was a very long time ago please? I have been reading up on gpu overclocking and apparently most tegra 2 t20's gpu's can be oc'd to 384mhz and quite a few can get to 512mhz (which sounds far too good to be true) As playing decent games on the gtab is like hitting your head of a wall, everything just laggs a little bit. If you want to test gpu overclocking, I would be more than happy to test for you, to see if it actually increase frame rate, as your tab may not be able to overclock gpu but someone else can. To choose GPU clock speed, maybe you could use EXTweeks app for the interface, or teraks OC. Gpu's are starting to get more, and more important and having a faster gpu would probably be better than oc'ing cpu by any amount. I really don't want to spend £400+ (That I could never afford anymore, double dip recession in the UK has hit me hard) on a new tab to play games at a higher fps, as the cpu and CM9 (thank you by the way) make my tab more than fast enough. I would be more than happy to test, if you would like :)

Edit: I would never normally ask for gpu overclocking on phones for battery reasons, but as your tab has a great battery life, I am not so bothered about battery anymore, I actually underclock my s2 Mali-400 MP from 267mhz to 200mhz even though it can be oc'd 400mhz to show that I am not an overcloing junky, and I only would like gpu overclocking on our tab for purely practical reasons, I don't care about benchmark result :)

feel free to pull my sources and play.

Reactions: katestar

katestar

Mar 23, 2012
feel free to pull my sources and play.

I really wish I had the skills to change Gpu clock speed, but I'm afraid I don't. I have tried to find the relevant information without much success. I would love to be able to compile my own kernel with oc'ing to 1.5ghz (default set at 1.2ghz though) with gpu overclocking capabilities, all of which could be controlled with a single app interface, but I am just not good enough at all. I am afraid that by the time I have the skills to do it, no one will even own the tab anymore. I am learning about kernel development, a friend is giving me his galaxy s in a 4 months, which I plan to learn to develop on, so when I am learning I wouldn't break my tab. That's why I was asking you with the overclocking of the gpu as I just am not good enough at kernel development to do anything apart from compiling a kernel from source, and making some very, very basic changes, sorry to have asked about it I know there is much more important things to be done. I would just love to play decent games on the tab, and with decent hardware acceleration in ice, maybe oc'ing the gpu would have made the tab a couple of fps smoother. Anyway, thank you :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am not planning on moving to cm10 next year. I'll try to get all tabs up on 10 by end of next week.
    this weekend ill have rom updates for cm9/10, then ill work towards getting everything uploaded in to mainline, while i wait for newer sources from samsung.
    as discussed, i will be making one stable 3.1 kernel for cm9 (ics) so it can go to stable status (i.e. all functionality in tact) then development will move to jellybean (cm10).

i 'may' create a one-time kernel, non supported for TW ICS, but that is low on the list.
    going to try to get another update out either tonight or tomorrow. want to update/patch more things.

pershoot neva sleeps! hehe.