[ROOT](11-17-12) Root Nexus 10 with CWM and SuperSu Zip (Stress Free and Simpler)

Search This thread

shimp208

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 25, 2011
Boston
qba86-1.png

Updated 11-17-12: Now that we have a stable CWMR image thanks to damien667 this procedure should be a lot less risky and less stressful!

This is confirmed working but due to the procedure involved is risky! The standard XDA disclaimer applies: I take no responsibility for bricked devices due to the following rooting procedure, no warranty express or implied is given, I will not be held responsible if you mess up your tablet by following this procedure!

You must unlock the bootloader before performing this procedure!

Credits: Kidgoo for testing and coming up with the method, thanks to damien667 for the fixed CWM images, and Chainfire for the SuperSu zip and binaries!

Before you begin make sure you read and reread the procedure and fully understand the directions.

1. Download the CWM-SuperSU-v0.98.zip
2. Download damien667's fixed CWMR 6.0.1.6 touch version of from here
3. Connect the Nexus 10 to your computer
4. Flash the CWMR image you downloaded in step 2 using fastboot

Code:
fastboot flash recovery /path/to/<recovery>.img
fastboot reboot

5. Touch "Install from SD Card" in CWMR
6. Select CWM-SuperSU-v0.98.zip that was downloaded in step 1
7. Let CWM-SuperSU-v0.98.zip install
8. Select "Reboot System"
9. Enjoy your rooted Nexus 10 :D!

To keep your custom recovery installed permanently and not get overwritten by the stock recovery when your reboot your tablet delete the following:

Code:
/system/etc/install-recovery.sh
/system/recovery-from-boot.p

Last edited:

joeski27

Feb 24, 2011
With regard to downloading the CWM-SuperSU file (for sideloading) do you mean that it should be downloaded on the tab itself, or downloaded into the same folder as adb and fastboot?

shimp208

Jan 25, 2011
Boston
Perhaps you could provide a video to help us along? :D

If my Nexus 10 had arrived yet then I would be more then happy to post a video until then you'll have to make due with the written guide I'm afraid ;). But if you or any one else has any questions regarding the procedure feel free to ask!

shimp208

Jan 25, 2011
Boston
With regard to downloading the CWM-SuperSU file (for sideloading) do you mean that it should be downloaded on the tab itself, or downloaded into the same folder as adb and fastboot?

If you download it on your tablet you'll need to then place the downloaded zip on the root of the internal storage (I.E not in a folder). Alternatively you can download it using a computer and connect your tablet to the computer and transfer it to the root of the internal storage that way.

DarkAgent

Aug 5, 2010
I know this is probably a noob question but the fastboot commands (the first two, for booting from CWRT) -- should they be done in Fastboot Mode or can they be done while Nexus 10 is on and at home screen with USB debugging enabled? If you need to be in Fastboot Mode, how do you get there with Nexus 10?

Thanks!

joeski27

Feb 24, 2011
If you download it on your tablet you'll need to then place the downloaded zip on the root of the internal storage (I.E not in a folder). Alternatively you can download it using a computer and connect your tablet to the computer and transfer it to the root of the internal storage that way.

Ok, the problem I have now is while I have the files on my tablet, I cannot move them to the root of the internal storage at this point...??? Suggestions??? Don't you have to be rooted in order to do this???

Last edited:

darkangrydragon

Aug 5, 2010
For some reason when I'm not in fastboot mode, I can use adb (adb devices lists my Nexus 10), but when I'm in fastboot mode, adb no longer recognizes the device. fastboot devices does however see it when in fastboot mode.

Anybody else have this problem or know why this might be happening? Thanks!

joeski27

Feb 24, 2011
So to others who are working on this and awaiting responses from the OP, where exactly have you placed the downloaded files on your tablet? specific locations?? and if so how did you get them there? I'm totally lost at this point, LOL, hoping to get some clarification soon... :)

Last edited:

darkuni

Sep 12, 2010
Worked ... however .. you DO have to be in FASTBOOT already (power + Vol UP + Vol DOWN) - yeah it might be obvious when you're not tired as hell - but for those wondering :)

The first line should be:

fastboot boot /path/to/<recovery>.img

no fastboot reboot was needed - it rebooted itself.

I had a HELL of a time finding the sideload entry in CWM (that's just my brain deadness).

You have quite a bit of time :) More than enough.

THANK YOU!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    qba86-1.png

Updated 11-17-12: Now that we have a stable CWMR image thanks to damien667 this procedure should be a lot less risky and less stressful!

This is confirmed working but due to the procedure involved is risky! The standard XDA disclaimer applies: I take no responsibility for bricked devices due to the following rooting procedure, no warranty express or implied is given, I will not be held responsible if you mess up your tablet by following this procedure!

You must unlock the bootloader before performing this procedure!

Credits: Kidgoo for testing and coming up with the method, thanks to damien667 for the fixed CWM images, and Chainfire for the SuperSu zip and binaries!

Before you begin make sure you read and reread the procedure and fully understand the directions.

1. Download the CWM-SuperSU-v0.98.zip
    2. Download damien667's fixed CWMR 6.0.1.6 touch version of from here
    3. Connect the Nexus 10 to your computer
    4. Flash the CWMR image you downloaded in step 2 using fastboot

Code:
    fastboot flash recovery /path/to/<recovery>.img
    fastboot reboot

5. Touch "Install from SD Card" in CWMR
    6. Select CWM-SuperSU-v0.98.zip that was downloaded in step 1
    7. Let CWM-SuperSU-v0.98.zip install
    8. Select "Reboot System"
    9. Enjoy your rooted Nexus 10 :D!

To keep your custom recovery installed permanently and not get overwritten by the stock recovery when your reboot your tablet delete the following:

Code:
    /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
    /system/recovery-from-boot.p
    Do I need to unlock the bootloader for this to work?

Thx

Yes

OK... so no updates on this... does this work or not? What's with the horror stories of random reboots, etc? There is an official clockwork recovery now... which is good. Is this good to go now? I've got my device unlocked successfully... can anyone confirm cwm working without reboots, etc?

It does work, you just need to be careful. CWM isn't stable, it will boot for around 20 seconds before it restarts so you need to know what you're doing.
    Fix for reboots

I posted a fix for random reboots on the other thread, let me know if you guys have any questions :victory:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=34256732
    has no effect...

and im stuck on the Nexus splash screen, too.
    flashing a rom with fastboot has also no effect :(

Plug Into computer, flash recovery via adb and then go into recovery, then wipe cache. That will get you out of a stuck at NeXus Logo...
    Plug Into computer, flash recovery via adb and then go into recovery, then wipe cache. That will get you out of a stuck at NeXus Logo...

Thats right. But not forget to activate the menu in stock recovery with simulaniously pressing power and volulme up! (the right key)