[Q] Which stock apps are safe to remove on Bell model?

Search This thread

Ethologist

Apr 24, 2014
I recently got a used LG Optimus G E973 (Bell version). It's rooted and the bootloader is unlocked. So now I'm wondering if there's a list anywhere of all the stock apps that are safe to remove for this model. There are a few threads about this in the AT&T and Sprint forums, but I can't find any here. Anyone care to help?

polacasse

Apr 24, 2014
I recently got a used LG Optimus G E973 (Bell version). It's rooted and the bootloader is unlocked. So now I'm wondering if there's a list anywhere of all the stock apps that are safe to remove for this model. There are a few threads about this in the AT&T and Sprint forums, but I can't find any here. Anyone care to help?

Most of the launchable apps are removable and you can find better ones. The one stock app that sucked was the email app. I suggest removing it and installing Nexus 5 stock email app with the exchange app. You will be able to do everything(fully synced) with one app(hotmail exchange, work exchange, gmail sync).

The messasing app is also bad, you can simply replace it with hangouts.

kt-Froggy

Sep 14, 2012
YVR
Samsung Galaxy Note II
LG G8
I'm wondering if there's a list anywhere of all the stock apps that are safe to remove for this model.
Most of the launchable apps are removable and you can find better ones.
I would add that instead of removing the apps right away, it's probably better to freeze (disable) them and see if that affects anything. If everything is good after freezing, they can be removed for good. And if something is messed up, just defrost the app in question.

Titanium Backup Pro can freeze apps, but you can also use other utilities that are free, like Advanced Tools from Play Store.

Ethologist

Apr 24, 2014
Ok, thanks guys. I'm a bit new to all this rooted android stuff. Can I get rid of Google Maps? I'd like to replace it with something else because it's permanently sucking up my battery life. Also, is there a reason why the Software update is constantly running on my phone even though I have "check automatically" unchecked?

kt-Froggy

Sep 14, 2012
YVR
Samsung Galaxy Note II
LG G8
Can I get rid of Google Maps?
Sure, you can. If you ever need it again, you can always install it from Play Store as a user app.

is there a reason why the Software update is constantly running on my phone even though I have "check automatically" unchecked?
I guess it's just designed to keep the service running in the background, regardless of whether it's actually doing the checks. You can just freeze the "Software Update", or uninstall it (that's what I did). Problem solved.

Reactions: Ethologist

Ethologist

Apr 24, 2014
Sure, you can. If you ever need it again, you can always install it from Play Store as a user app.

I guess it's just designed to keep the service running in the background, regardless of whether it's actually doing the checks. You can just freeze the "Software Update", or uninstall it (that's what I did). Problem solved.

Awesome, thanks for the help. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Can I get rid of Google Maps?

is there a reason why the Software update is constantly running on my phone even though I have "check automatically" unchecked?