Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Skeetch79

Oct 29, 2010
West Milford, NJ
Google Pixel 5
For Rooted Devices.

I have a rooted Galaxy S4 Developer Edition Device running I545OYUFNC5 KitKat and I have FoxFi installed. As much as I enjoy FoxFi, I hate using Pins, Passwords and Patterns for my lockscreen. I know there is a way around this (as per the FoxFi app in the Google Play Store) by entering your Pin, Password or Pattern incorrectly a few times and then entering your Google account password, but I found another way which seems to work on my device.

As I stated, I have FoxFi installed. Upon first boot of FoxFi it installs a VPN certificate. This can be viewed under System Settings->More->Credential Storage->Trusted Credentials ->User. After running FoxFi a few times I kept receiving the "Network may be monitored" warning in my status bar.

Following this guide, Foxfi now appears as a System Certificate and I was able to then set my Unlock method back to Swipe. I have never been bothered to set a PIN, Pattern or Password again.

Before you move the certificate, however, take note of the name and date associated with the file in case you ever wish to remove it in the future.

I would think that this would work on other verserion of Android as well (i.e. 4.3, 4.4.3, etc). Just an FYI to anyone would like to take advantage of this.

Last edited:

tech_head

I have a rooted Galaxy S4 Developer Edition Device running I545OYUFNC5 KitKat and I have FoxFi installed. As much as I enjoy FoxFi, I hate using Pins, Passwords and Patterns for my lockscreen. I know there is a way around this (as per the FoxFi app in the Google Play Store) by entering your Pin, Password or Pattern incorrectly a few times and then entering your Google account password, but I found another way which seems to work on my device.

If it's rooted why even bother with FoxFi???

brandywinefarm

Jun 17, 2014
Hilham
FOXFI and Galaxy S5

Before you move the certificate, however, take note of the name and date associated with the file in case you ever wish to remove it in the future.

I would think that this would work on other verserion of Android as well (i.e. 4.3, 4.4.3, etc). Just an FYI to anyone would like to take advantage of this.

I guess you have to be rooted to see that directory where the certificate resides. I have an unrooted S5 and I cannot see those cert files in order to move them.

I am having to "CLEAR CREDENTIALS" reset to SWIPE (remove PIN security). If I want to use HOTSPOT again, FOXFI reinstalls the certificate and forces me to restore PIN or password security.

FOXFI's site says:
"In order to skip the mobile hotspot plan (an extra $20/month) FoxFi needs to install a certificate to bypass the carrier blockage. A certificate installation is considered "security changes" on your phone, and Android system requires a screen lock if *any* security changes is made. Here are possible ways to get rid of the Lock Screen if you don't use one:

If your phone runs Android 4.3 or below, it should support the following way to remove the lock screen while keeping the certificate: set a PATTERN lock (can not be PIN lock) and try to unlock the phone with a "bad pattern" for 5-10 times, it will show you an error message, close the message and on the lock screen you should see a "Forgot Pattern?" link somewhere on the screen. Select it and enter your Android email/password. After these steps the screen lock will be removed.

If your phone runs Android 4.4 (KitKat) or above, please do the followings: first make sure the FoxFi Certificate is not installed (if you have already installed it please go to phone Security Settings and select "Clear Credentials"), now turn on FoxFi and it will display a message box that says "Name the certificate", below it there is a drop-down named "Credential use" which is set to "VPN and apps". Please tap this drop-down and change it to "Wi-Fi". If you continue it will still require you to set a Screen Lock, just do so. After the certificate is installed, you can go back to phone's Screen Lock settings and it will allow you to change it to "None" or "Pattern".

However if you no longer need to use FoxFi, simply go to phone's Security Settings and select Clear Credentials. This will remove the FoxFi certificate (it will NOT remove any other stocked certificates). After that you will be able to set Lock Screen to "None" in phone settings."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For Rooted Devices.

As I stated, I have FoxFi installed. Upon first boot of FoxFi it installs a VPN certificate. This can be viewed under System Settings->More->Credential Storage->Trusted Credentials ->User. After running FoxFi a few times I kept receiving the "Network may be monitored" warning in my status bar.

Following this guide, Foxfi now appears as a System Certificate and I was able to then set my Unlock method back to Swipe. I have never been bothered to set a PIN, Pattern or Password again.