[updated][how-to] sbf tutorial [how-to][updated]

Search This thread

DAG425

Dec 11, 2008
Gainesville, FL
Ok, so after scanning through the SBF thread and a few others and finding instructions all over the place, I decided to bring them all together in one post. Sorry if I don’t mention everybody that contributed these instructions by name but there were a lot of instructions on how to flash the SBF to our phone. You know who you are and I personally thank you and believe everybody else does also.

To begin, download the necessary files and drivers:

Froyo 2.2.2 SBF File

Gingerbread 2.3.3 SBF File

Gingerbread 2.3.4 SBF File

RSD Lite 5.3.1 and Drivers

RSD Lite 5.4.4

1. Reboot your computer and your phone after downloading and installing everything and before you go to flash the SBF file. Use 7-zip to extract the SBF file...

2. Once you have rebooted your computer, go ahead and start RSD Lite and point it at the SBF file and plug your USB cable into your computer ONLY!

3. Turn your phone off.

4. Turn the phone on by pressing and holding the POWER AND VOLUME DOWN buttons until you see FASTBOOT. Press volume down until you reach RSD and press volume up once.

5. Plug your phone into your computer and wait until you see it in RSD Lite and click Start.

6. Your phone will reboot when the process is complete. DO NOT UNPLUG YOUR PHONE FROM UNTIL THE COMPUTER UNTIL THE PROCESS IS COMPLETE.

7. If the phone boot loops pull the battery and boot into the stock recovery by pressing and holding power and volume down until the phone says FASTBOOT, once the phone says FASTBOOT, press volume down until you see ANDROID RECOVERY, once you see ANDROID RECOVERY, press BOTH the volume up and the volume down buttons. You will see the familiar triangle with the exclamation point and the Android. At this point press volume up and down simultaneously again and select “wipe data/factory data reset” by pressing the power button.

8. Reboot your phone and you should be back to full factory default, like new out of the box.

If you have any other problem with RSD Lite, try running it as administrator in Win 7/Vista...

Last edited:

PnoT

Jun 22, 2011
You first link does not work properly. I found a working link in the SBF thread and wanted to confirm that it's 482mb?

DAG425

Dec 11, 2008
Gainesville, FL
Don't actually remember... But I believe so.. I will update the link sortly thanks tho...

EDIT: Yes it is 482MB Link has also been updated...

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Steroid Droid

Jul 14, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Thanks for putting every thing together and thanks to everyone who contributed. This should make it easy for everyone to understand.

Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA Premium App

DAG425

Dec 11, 2008
Gainesville, FL
any guide as to how to unpack the .sbf and reveal its contents

That is actually a great question Slowz3r.... I would love to know how to open that SBF, but I really have no clue... I will try and see if maybe I can open it in Linux. If anybody around here has any ideas or has already tried this, please let me know...

TIA

nanodan

I have followed this guide to the letter, even to the point of redownloading both the SBF and the drivers a few times. Even after a reboot, when I plug my phone into the computer it says "Unable to retrieve initialization values from INI file"
I've tried it every day for the past 3 and to no avail, always same issue.

Edit: I did a clean uninstall and reinstall of everything, rebooted, and it worked. So I suppose it was an installation error of sorts.

Last edited:
Reactions: rogerto

zakth

Dec 4, 2010
Anyone else notice that to the right under platform it says 4G Tegra? Some also stated that their computer detected a 4G Modem when the phone was in a certain mode.

DAG425

Dec 11, 2008
Gainesville, FL
I have followed this guide to the letter, even to the point of redownloading both the SBF and the drivers a few times. Even after a reboot, when I plug my phone into the computer it says "Unable to retrieve initialization values from INI file"

Edit: I did a clean uninstall and reinstall of everything, rebooted, and it worked. So I suppose it was an installation error of sorts.

Believe it or not I, of all people(the person writing the tutorial), had the same issue last night.... I just reinstalled like you said and all worked fine....

DAG425

Dec 11, 2008
Gainesville, FL
Anyone else notice that to the right under platform it says 4G Tegra? Some also stated that their computer detected a 4G Modem when the phone was in a certain mode.

Yes, I have also seen this in the options before you get to rsd mode... Don't know what that means or why its labelled that way but it is definitely interesting... It would be great to find out what motorola might have to say about this and if that may be why we have been waiting so long for an update!!! I highly doubt it tho, but still nice to think about...

gageoliver

May 19, 2010

This happened to me also, i found out after two hours of forum searching, that you need 5.3 rsd lite, the one in the download worked for me, but maybe its your operating system, i had to use my xp computer because it would not work on my Win. 7 machine. Hope this helps.

DAG425

Dec 11, 2008
Gainesville, FL
This happened to me also, i found out after two hours of forum searching, that you need 5.3 rsd lite, the one in the download worked for me, but maybe its your operating system, i had to use my xp computer because it would not work on my Win. 7 machine. Hope this helps.

It should work with Win 7 as that is what I am running... The link I have posted for rsd lite is 5.3... Maybe if you run rsd lite as admin??? I didn't have to but that might be a solution....

gageoliver

May 19, 2010
It Works!!

This is the first Sbf download that worked for me, i noticed that this one was over 700 mb in size. All the other ones were 482 mb. I guess those were just the partial Sbf. Thanks for this, i really needed it! :D

zeb carter

I had to do a factory reset of my phone the other day. I used RSD5.3.1 and the 482 mb SBF.

I bootlooped initially on the reboot but after doing a battery pull and then going into recovery, everything worked. I did get a couple settings wrong on setting up the phone but fortunately, there is a Verizon store very close by.

All the bloatware that TB had backed up up prior to me uninstalling came back. After the reload, I re-rooted but haven't uninstalled or frozen anything yet.

DAG425

Dec 11, 2008
Gainesville, FL
This is the first Sbf download that worked for me, i noticed that this one was over 700 mb in size. All the other ones were 482 mb. I guess those were just the partial Sbf. Thanks for this, i really needed it! :D

Actually the sbf included here is also 482 mb... Maybe the other downloads got corrupted?? However, I'm just glad it worked for you!

Peperm1nt

Jul 6, 2011
Matewan
ok, just sbf'd my phone... hooked up rebooted blah blah blah... now im ****ting my pants... rsd says Results Fail and in the status says Disconnected.... idk why... all i know is that it was up for like the first phase... rebooted and says switchin ti BP mode... did that... then rebooted at 99% and then this.....

Phone is stuck on Moto Dual Core screen... and doing nothing... some please tell me i didnt mess this up.

Edit: Ok, i rebooted did the recovery thing and data wiped, got it working and now configuring the phone.. sorry for this post, was jus scared i guess >.<

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, so after scanning through the SBF thread and a few others and finding instructions all over the place, I decided to bring them all together in one post. Sorry if I don’t mention everybody that contributed these instructions by name but there were a lot of instructions on how to flash the SBF to our phone. You know who you are and I personally thank you and believe everybody else does also.

To begin, download the necessary files and drivers:

Froyo 2.2.2 SBF File

Gingerbread 2.3.3 SBF File

Gingerbread 2.3.4 SBF File

RSD Lite 5.3.1 and Drivers

RSD Lite 5.4.4

1. Reboot your computer and your phone after downloading and installing everything and before you go to flash the SBF file. Use 7-zip to extract the SBF file...

2. Once you have rebooted your computer, go ahead and start RSD Lite and point it at the SBF file and plug your USB cable into your computer ONLY!

3. Turn your phone off.

4. Turn the phone on by pressing and holding the POWER AND VOLUME DOWN buttons until you see FASTBOOT. Press volume down until you reach RSD and press volume up once.

5. Plug your phone into your computer and wait until you see it in RSD Lite and click Start.

6. Your phone will reboot when the process is complete. DO NOT UNPLUG YOUR PHONE FROM UNTIL THE COMPUTER UNTIL THE PROCESS IS COMPLETE.

7. If the phone boot loops pull the battery and boot into the stock recovery by pressing and holding power and volume down until the phone says FASTBOOT, once the phone says FASTBOOT, press volume down until you see ANDROID RECOVERY, once you see ANDROID RECOVERY, press BOTH the volume up and the volume down buttons. You will see the familiar triangle with the exclamation point and the Android. At this point press volume up and down simultaneously again and select “wipe data/factory data reset” by pressing the power button.

8. Reboot your phone and you should be back to full factory default, like new out of the box.

If you have any other problem with RSD Lite, try running it as administrator in Win 7/Vista...
    you have a Droid 2 Global
    read http://droid.koumakan.jp/wiki/Welcome
    then post questions here http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=739

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

to be sure, you have a qwerty physical keyboard, yes?

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 AM ----------

if you have D2G a956, you need droid 2 bootstrap
    read http://droid.koumakan.jp/wiki/ClockworkMod_Recovery
    Does anyone have the SBF for 2.3.4? Multiupload is down.
    all SBFs here http://1kds.tk/
    Thank you, very helpful and thanks to everyone involved. Let's get this ball Rollin baby!

Sent from my DROID X2 with that v6 son using XDA Premium App with