[GUIDE][ROOT][Mac][Linux]Epic 4G Touch Root on Mac or Linux using Heimdall!

Search This thread

zedomax

Mar 23, 2010
Daly City, CA
HighOnAndroid.com
Video tutorial:
For those of you who want to root your Epic 4G Touch on a Mac or Linux, you can using this open-source tool called Heimdall.

Here's how to root your Epic 4G Touch on Mac or Linux.

Step 1. Put your Epic 4G Touch in Download Mode by holding down Volume Down button and Power button together for about 10 seconds then hit Volume Up button. Connect your phone to your computer via a USB cable.

Step 2. Go download the appropriate binaries for your Mac (OSX) or Linux 32-bit or 64bit at glassechidna.com.au

Get the file with "Binary" or "Binaries".

For Mac, you will get a .DMG file you can install and for Linux, you will get a .deb file you can install.

Install these files and open up a command prompt and type:

heimdall

You should get a bunch of syntax stuff, if so that's good, you have heimdall installed and working.

Step 3. Go download a rooted kernel, I recommend Zedomax Epic Touch Kernel v3:

Download Zedomax Epic Touch Kernel v3

*Note - You can also download any other kernel .tar file of your liking.

Step 4. Browse to the directory you've download the tar file by using command "cd":

cd /home/myusername/Downloads

Step 5. Untar the tar file:

tar xvf SPH-D710_Zedomax_EpicTouchKernel-v3.tar

Step 5. Double-check you have a zImage file in the directory by typing:
ls -l

Step 7. Type the following to flash:

heimdall flash --kernel zImage

Step 8. Reboot and you can check that you've rooted your phone by going to Settings->About phone and see "ZedomaxEpicTouchKernel" in Kernel version.

Also you will see a new app called "Superuser" in apps.

Congrats, you've been rooted with a Linux or Mac.

*****Want to thank me?*****

Subscribe to my email list at Epic 4g Touch Root, subscribe to my YouTube channel and sign up for membership at ACSyndicate.net.

*****Contact*****
Want to contact me?
Add me on GooglePlus:
https://plus.google.com/105122758270056069711

Add me on Facebook:
http://facebook.com/howtoblog

And me on twitter:
http://twitter.com/zedomax

Last edited:

zedomax

Mar 23, 2010
Daly City, CA
HighOnAndroid.com
reserved

os_couples.jpg

reserved for funny cat LOL photos.

Last edited:
Reactions: coachGS

silversx80

Sep 24, 2008
Did this yesterday on MacBook Pro, 64-bit. Works as advertised, pretty simple. One quick tip, don't need to unpack the tar in heimdall; a double-click will do the trick... just gotta remember where you put it (and make sure you're in the right directory).

Last edited:

wase4711

May 9, 2010
Outside of Phoenix, AZ
just got my phone yesterday, and, was hoping that soon there would be a solution for us mac users..this looks great!
just a quick question; anyone who has used this, does it bork anything like wifi or bluetooth?

thanks again!:p

silversx80

Sep 24, 2008
All I did was flash zedo's v3 kernel and everything still works. I'm actually getting better battery life, faster 3G and can now bench 450 lbs.

Nobody can make any guarantees, though... you know how it goes.

wase4711

May 9, 2010
Outside of Phoenix, AZ
wow, benching 450 after flashing a rom is most impressive!

I'm having some issues with BT now, and its important for me for it to work; thats the only reason I asked..

This seems like the easiest root method I have seen for any Android phone, especially for a mac!

thanks

xak944

Jun 9, 2010
North Carolina
Google Pixel 7
So, heimdall is basically just an open-source implementation of tarball flashing with Odin? Very cool!

Also, would you mind listing MD5 or SHA1 checksum values for the kernels/etc that you post? Wouldn't want to flash anything corrupt...
EDIT: Nevermind, I went to actually download the file and the MD5 is right there! Thanks. :)

Thanks for all your work!

Last edited:
Reactions: kdelinux

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Did this yesterday on MacBook Pro, 64-bit. Works as advertised, pretty simple. One quick tip, don't need to unpack the tar in heimdall; a double-click will do the trick... just gotta remember where you put it (and make sure you're in the right directory).
Odd... Heimdall Frontend never liked Odin tars when I tried it. I admit I didn't put too much effort into it - I'm a commandline kind of guy.

On Linux boxes the frontend and commandline utility are installed separately - these instructions work if you only have the CL utility but not the frontend.

So, heimdall is basically just an open-source implementation of tarball flashing with Odin? Very cool!

Also, would you mind listing MD5 or SHA1 checksum values for the kernels/etc that you post? Wouldn't want to flash anything corrupt...
EDIT: Nevermind, I went to actually download the file and the MD5 is right there! Thanks. :)

Thanks for all your work!
Yup. Heimdall is a lifesaver for kernel developers... Some people actually add the following to their kernel build scripts to autoflash. :)
Code:
adb reboot download
heimdall flash --kernel arch/arm/boot/zImage

Too bad you guys don't get SGS kernel flasher.

FYI a piece of advice from the Infuse community to the developers here - I strongly suggest having Odin-flashable dumps of a stock system and cache filesystem image made available. Having gtg465x's Ultimate Unbrick has been a lifesaver for the Infuse community - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1112555

You'll probably see less of me around here as time goes by - I originally stopped by because a rant on an Engadget thread made me curious, and it is really interesting to watch the first few weeks of development bringup for a device. I still remember the excitement when Rogers released the Infuse with Gingerbread... We had an army of AT&T users ready to walk the Rogers owners through anything needed to get good device dumps. :p

Reactions: trifthen

zedomax

Mar 23, 2010
Daly City, CA
HighOnAndroid.com
Odd... Heimdall Frontend never liked Odin tars when I tried it. I admit I didn't put too much effort into it - I'm a commandline kind of guy.

On Linux boxes the frontend and commandline utility are installed separately - these instructions work if you only have the CL utility but not the frontend.

Yup. Heimdall is a lifesaver for kernel developers... Some people actually add the following to their kernel build scripts to autoflash. :)
Code:
adb reboot download
heimdall flash --kernel arch/arm/boot/zImage

Too bad you guys don't get SGS kernel flasher.

FYI a piece of advice from the Infuse community to the developers here - I strongly suggest having Odin-flashable dumps of a stock system and cache filesystem image made available. Having gtg465x's Ultimate Unbrick has been a lifesaver for the Infuse community - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1112555

You'll probably see less of me around here as time goes by - I originally stopped by because a rant on an Engadget thread made me curious, and it is really interesting to watch the first few weeks of development bringup for a device. I still remember the excitement when Rogers released the Infuse with Gingerbread... We had an army of AT&T users ready to walk the Rogers owners through anything needed to get good device dumps. :p
odin is great but only works for windooows. good thing we have heimdall for linux and mac users.

interhawk1

Feb 20, 2011
having some trouble i installed heimdall on my mac and when i stype heimdall in terminal eliminator i get some errors thing

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libusb-1.0.0.dylib
Referenced from: /usr/bin/heimdall
Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
/usr/local/lib/libusb-1.0.0.dylib: stat() failed with errno=13
Trace/BPT trap: 5

is this right?

zedomax

Mar 23, 2010
Daly City, CA
HighOnAndroid.com
having some trouble i installed heimdall on my mac and when i stype heimdall in terminal eliminator i get some errors thing

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libusb-1.0.0.dylib
Referenced from: /usr/bin/heimdall
Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
Trace/BPT trap: 5

is this right?

Install the Heimdall binaries not the front-end, binaries work great, i never got the front-end to work correctly.

silversx80

Sep 24, 2008
I'm using a mac i don't see that option for 1.30 should i install 1.2.0?

I installed 1.2.0 before 1.3.0, so I'm not sure if 1.3 installs the binaries.

Put your E4GT into download mode and plug it in. Run terminal and type "heimdall detect" (or it may be "heimdall --detect"). I don't think you need to be in any particular directory to detect a device. If it detects it, then the binaries are installed and you can flash a monkey to your device if you have the proper setup.

Reactions: zedomax

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Video tutorial:
    For those of you who want to root your Epic 4G Touch on a Mac or Linux, you can using this open-source tool called Heimdall.

Here's how to root your Epic 4G Touch on Mac or Linux.

Step 1. Put your Epic 4G Touch in Download Mode by holding down Volume Down button and Power button together for about 10 seconds then hit Volume Up button. Connect your phone to your computer via a USB cable.

Step 2. Go download the appropriate binaries for your Mac (OSX) or Linux 32-bit or 64bit at glassechidna.com.au

Get the file with "Binary" or "Binaries".

For Mac, you will get a .DMG file you can install and for Linux, you will get a .deb file you can install.

Install these files and open up a command prompt and type:

heimdall

You should get a bunch of syntax stuff, if so that's good, you have heimdall installed and working.

Step 3. Go download a rooted kernel, I recommend Zedomax Epic Touch Kernel v3:

Download Zedomax Epic Touch Kernel v3

*Note - You can also download any other kernel .tar file of your liking.

Step 4. Browse to the directory you've download the tar file by using command "cd":

cd /home/myusername/Downloads

Step 5. Untar the tar file:

tar xvf SPH-D710_Zedomax_EpicTouchKernel-v3.tar

Step 5. Double-check you have a zImage file in the directory by typing:
    ls -l

Step 7. Type the following to flash:

heimdall flash --kernel zImage

Step 8. Reboot and you can check that you've rooted your phone by going to Settings->About phone and see "ZedomaxEpicTouchKernel" in Kernel version.

Also you will see a new app called "Superuser" in apps.

Congrats, you've been rooted with a Linux or Mac.

*****Want to thank me?*****

Subscribe to my email list at Epic 4g Touch Root, subscribe to my YouTube channel and sign up for membership at ACSyndicate.net.

*****Contact*****
    Want to contact me?
    Add me on GooglePlus:
    https://plus.google.com/105122758270056069711

Add me on Facebook:
    http://facebook.com/howtoblog

And me on twitter:
    http://twitter.com/zedomax
    Worked quick and easy on my mid 2011 iMac. For more Mac friendly commands for people who aren't familiar with command lines in Terminal I suggest adding the following:

Default download directory:
    cd /Users/myusername/Downloads (Users instead of Home)

In Finder, Untar the file by double clicking. (As someone already mentioned)

heimdall flash --kernel zImage (Remains the same command).

Definitely the simplest command line root I've done. Thanks again!
    reserved

os_couples.jpg

reserved for funny cat LOL photos.

nice, thx for the cool tip bud.
    Downloads of your kernel are not working via http://downloadandroidrom.com/file/...ernel/SPH-D710_Zedomax_EpicTouchKernel-v3.tar do you have an alternate download link? downloadandroidrom.com is broken as ****. I tried 3 browsers on linux as well as windows.

This thread is from 2011.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app