[Q] Nabi 2 Google Play Store

Search This thread

LifeOfALegend

Nov 2, 2012
Hi Ive been trying to root my Nabi 2 tablet to access the Google Play Store. Ive downloaded ADB and followed instructions, Ive also got the correct drivers etc, when i ran the root tool by jmz I chose option 1 and it ran through the process, is there anything else I need to during during this as I then booted up and it was just the same as before?! Im normally an apple fan and experienced in jailbreaking etc but this is my first android as Im trying to exchange all my apple devices for android lol. Can some help me find a step by step full tutorial as Ive been trying to follow the one in this link here http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1905674 but I cant understand what else I need to do?! Thanks in advance

LifeOfALegend

Nov 2, 2012
Anybody?! JMZTAYLOR if you see this can you please write a quick tutorial on what I need to do as Im clearly doing something wrong. Its probably just something so simple Im missing?! Any advice would be highly appreciated, sorry if this post is extremely noobish Im normally very adaptable!

Reactions: robtics

HD Brian

Dec 12, 2012
Kansas City
Any Luck?

I was just wondering, it's been over a month with no post here. Did you get it working? If so can you post your solution or a link to the thread with the solution you used?

brownel02

Aug 27, 2010
Interesting, except for step 21:

21. Do not update or attempt to install any apps, as it will force close the Google Play Store. The apk file installed is not fully functional on the nabi 2 Tablet. It does however allow for the purchase of Books, Movies and Music. The following pop-up will appear if you attempt to update or purchase an app.

If you root you will have a fully functional Play Story as well as text AND video on Google Talk plus many other features

robtics

Nov 17, 2010
christmas gift

My son is getting this for christmas. I know really all he cares about are the google play apps and youtube and other features that need this process in order for him to achieve his wishes... (whew)

anyway....

Any warnings that i should heed other than a voided warranty?
Has anyone heard of anybody bricking a nabi 2?
that would not be cool...

Thanks for any help

sent from my...blah, blah, just got a gs3/ used to have a captivate/ blah blah/ rooted an atrix once/ it died/

oniddy

Jun 9, 2010
new york
My son is getting this for christmas. I know really all he cares about are the google play apps and youtube and other features that need this process in order for him to achieve his wishes... (whew)

anyway....

Any warnings that i should heed other than a voided warranty?
Has anyone heard of anybody bricking a nabi 2?
that would not be cool...

Thanks for any help

sent from my...blah, blah, just got a gs3/ used to have a captivate/ blah blah/ rooted an atrix once/ it died/

Lol I rootedm3 no problems if u follow the steps ;)

ravx25

Oct 1, 2012
I want to get Google Play working on my son's Nabi 2 as well, but I'm pretty concerned over the touch calibration issue some people are having on the ROM thread about rooting it. I've only had one android device (my galaxy s2) and thought about rooting it, but couldn't find an overly compelling reason to do so. Now that the Nabi 2 needs it, I would be loathe to brick it/mess it up to get this calibration issue. Even if I try on my s2, this Nabi seems a tad different for some reason.

cruise350

Dec 11, 2007
Memphis, TN
I want to get Google Play working on my son's Nabi 2 as well, but I'm pretty concerned over the touch calibration issue some people are having on the ROM thread about rooting it. I've only had one android device (my galaxy s2) and thought about rooting it, but couldn't find an overly compelling reason to do so. Now that the Nabi 2 needs it, I would be loathe to brick it/mess it up to get this calibration issue. Even if I try on my s2, this Nabi seems a tad different for some reason.

That is a very rare issue. If you root it and have a problem with the touch screen it only effects recovery software once it's rooted and gapps installed you won't have to go back to recovery.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

t499user

Jan 12, 2012

It is indeed a rare issue, if the script goes fine, you shouldn't have to do anything in recovery yourself anyway. Here is the gapps.zip that fixes the 'android upgrading' on every boot.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=35888524

If you want a more manual approach, check out http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2016463
It's written for Ubuntu, but the commands are easy to adapt for Windows as well. You install adb and fastboot differently and you remove 'sudo' from the commands.

kklops

Jul 16, 2012
Does rooting the Nabi2 get rid of the Monarch UI? All I want to do is get GApps on it, but I want to keep the Monarch UI for the kids.

epropr

Nov 5, 2012
Do you really need Google Play?

Nabi 2 works great with Amazon App store (over 50,000 apps). Ex. Unless I installed Minecraft PE, my son would have 2 tablets for Christmas, his with no minecraft and mine with. In daddy mode you can get amazon and the installed apps are manageable in the add/remove to decide which apps to allow your child to see. PS: DO NOT add Amazon store to Nabi mode (unless your child is older, or unless your rich and don't mind your child maxing out a credit card on apps). Personally, I have jailbroken ipads for friends and rooted my last Motorola phone, but I wouldn't risk and consequences of screwing up your child's brand new tablet. You can go from Hero to Zero if you mess up.

Lol I rootedm3 no problems if u follow the steps ;)

Shine 52

Apr 12, 2011
How do I get the Amazon app store on the Nabi 2? I can't find it in the nabi app store.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

t499user

Jan 12, 2012
Nabi 2 works great with Amazon App store (over 50,000 apps). Ex. Unless I installed Minecraft PE, my son would have 2 tablets for Christmas, his with no minecraft and mine with. In daddy mode you can get amazon and the installed apps are manageable in the add/remove to decide which apps to allow your child to see. PS: DO NOT add Amazon store to Nabi mode (unless your child is older, or unless your rich and don't mind your child maxing out a credit card on apps). Personally, I have jailbroken ipads for friends and rooted my last Motorola phone, but I wouldn't risk and consequences of screwing up your child's brand new tablet. You can go from Hero to Zero if you mess up.
Have you heard of someone screwing up their Nabi2 from rooting/gappps?

How do I get the Amazon app store on the Nabi 2? I can't find it in the nabi app store.
Personally I would go ahead and root/gapps so you can have Google Play, use AdAway, etc etc.

Just be prepared to lose a bit more battery life when you install the Amazon app store. I have heard about it taking up a bit more battery due to licence checks, running in the background and such.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/mas/get-appstore/android/

cruise350

Dec 11, 2007
Memphis, TN
For some reason I can't download anything from the play store all of a sudden. It worked fine the other day, but today it gives me an error when ever I try to download a new app or update an installed app.

Sent from my fast as hell phone.

Retty1

Mar 18, 2012
Does anyone know if there is a fix for the WiFi problem?

Also - stupid question - is it technically feasible to install the Play store without rooting?

Top Liked Posts