Nexus 5 doesn't take advantage of "Quick Charge"?

Search This thread

Chad_Petree

Apr 2, 2009
People are saying the phone takes 1:50-2:00 hours to charge with a 2300 mah , the LG G2 which also has a snapdragon 800 takes around 1:30 to charge with a considerably larger 3000 mah battery , the nexus 5 comes with a 1.2A charger ( the G2 comes with 1.8A charger) so maybe that's the reason, but does it support quick charge at all? Google/LG just decided to save some cents and threw a cheaper charger on the box? If I buy a 2.0A charger would I be able to use it and would the phone charge noticeably faster? :confused:

DJ-Tumor

Mar 25, 2012
Viersen
Xiaomi Mi 10
Google Pixel 7
Most probably Not.
I think the Situation is a different too. LG uses its newly invented battery Type with enhanced Features. including massively improved recharging cycles.
Goggle does Not. and its known to batteries. the faster you load the quicker they die. no matter what they say. even eneloops are prooven to die much quicker when generally loaded at Max speed.

I have a Sony Tablet z charger with 1500mAh loading and a Asus me 301t loader with 2000mAh loading speed.
After some cycles I'll try them to See any difference but im sure there wont be.
DONT USE ANY FAST CHARGERS WITHIN THE FIRST (Minimum THREE) CHARGES.
Not to Do so is said to seriously harm any battery.

maisi

May 2, 2010
Vienna
Most probably Not.
I think the Situation is a different too. LG uses its newly invented battery Type with enhanced Features. including massively improved recharging cycles.
Goggle does Not. and its known to batteries. the faster you load the quicker they die. no matter what they say. even eneloops are prooven to die much quicker when generally loaded at Max speed.

I have a Sony Tablet z charger with 1500mAh loading and a Asus me 301t loader with 2000mAh loading speed.
After some cycles I'll try them to See any difference but im sure there wont be.
DONT USE ANY FAST CHARGERS WITHIN THE FIRST (Minimum THREE) CHARGES.
Not to Do so is said to seriously harm any battery.
If a quick charger could harm the battery it could also charge the phone quicker which it won't because the phone regulates the battery charging process and doesn't really care if the charger is able to output >1.2A . It would make a difference if you charge your phone on a <1.2A charger of course.

If it wouldn't work that way you couldn't charge a friends 3 year old Smartphone on your wall charger ;)

prawnguevara

Oct 13, 2011
My old HTC Desire S 1450mah battery used to take 2.5-3 hours to charge. My N5 takes around 2 hours.

DJ-Tumor

Mar 25, 2012
Viersen
Xiaomi Mi 10
Google Pixel 7
That is why I said it most probably won´t make any difference too.
Usually phones do limit the charging power. I don´t know any device that does not. But I would be carefull with this chinese stuff ;)
This is why my Galaxy Note wont charge any faster than with its original charger at 1000mah.
It is even possible that the Nexus only loads at 1000mah and the loader hast a little backup. But not very likely either.

When it comes to my Note...when I remove the battery there is a sticker where it is stated what is used:
5VA 1000mah.

So we can´t do that with our nexus ;)

Grab your (Handbuch) User manual and look up if there is any information about it.

The quick charger thing...correct...I may have gone little overboard with my warning thinking myself it wont make a difference.
But you really should keep that in mind for your mignons ect. :D

Last edited:

littleguevara

May 21, 2010
Quick charge is built into the Snapdragon 800 processor. Qualcomm announces it like a feature but no manufacturer uses it, probably because the N5 is only the third phone to come packing the S800. It'll be up to Qualcomm to release a patch (like they said they would) so that we can utilize the quick charge feature.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/20/4...ers-75-percent-faster-charging-snapdragon-800

Interestingly, none of these announcements address the effect on battery capacity long term

sent from my Nexus 7✌

Last edited:
Reactions: paradoxiumwind

alexktz

Feb 28, 2011
People are saying the phone takes 1:50-2:00 hours to charge with a 2300 mah , the LG G2 which also has a snapdragon 800 takes around 1:30 to charge with a considerably larger 3000 mah battery , the nexus 5 comes with a 1.2A charger ( the G2 comes with 1.8A charger) so maybe that's the reason, but does it support quick charge at all? Google/LG just decided to save some cents and threw a cheaper charger on the box? If I buy a 2.0A charger would I be able to use it and would the phone charge noticeably faster? :confused:

I refer to my (non-scientific) test conducted using the G2, S4 and N5 for charging performance. They're all pretty much the same, but the G2 was the fastest to charge.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2507405&page=2

charging.jpg

I let all the phones run down overnight to 0% using the battery drain app from Play store. I then used the charger and cable that came with each device, here are the results - interesting test.
N5 - 2,300mah battery, 5.6V / 1.2A charger
S4 - 2,600mah battery, 5.0V / 2.0A charger
G2 - 3,000mah battery, 5.0V / 1.8A charger

PhilipL

Jun 2, 2007
Hi

Looking at the service manual the charging is handled by a Texas Instruments chip http://www.ti.com/product/bq24192. QuickCharge is a function of the Qualcom PM8941 power management chip, however as the Qualcom chip isn't charging the battery (the BQ24192 is doing this) then QuickCharge can't be implemented by a firmware update.

Regards

Phil

Reactions: shotta35

DJ-Tumor

Mar 25, 2012
Viersen
Xiaomi Mi 10
Google Pixel 7
only thing speaking for a stronger charger would be the parallel usage of the device while charging it.
at least in my Imagination. dont Know if its technically possible if that could make a difference, but i think so.

charging my Xperia z is much quicker if i dont Touch it while its charging.

Chad_Petree

Apr 2, 2009
Hi

Looking at the service manual the charging is handled by a Texas Instruments chip http://www.ti.com/product/bq24192. QuickCharge is a function of the Qualcom PM8941 power management chip, however as the Qualcom chip isn't charging the battery (the BQ24192 is doing this) then QuickCharge can't be implemented by a firmware update.

Regards

Phil

But how come the LG G2 have Quick Charge then? :confused:

I refer to my (non-scientific) test conducted using the G2, S4 and N5 for charging performance. They're all pretty much the same, but the G2 was the fastest to charge.

charging.jpg

Thanks for sacrificing your batteries in the name of science. Apparently, running a lithium battery down to 0% is a no-no and will decrease the lifespan and capacity so should be limited...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1169979

But then, I'd hope that they built in a 0% that is above that threshold. So maybe it's NOT a concern. Perhaps leaving the battery discharged for a month might drop it down that low, but that would mean you're on to your next device and battery.

Cheers, maybe I should just delete this post and not even send it. Nah...

Dragn4rce

Jun 29, 2012
Anaheim
The NX5 will NEVER have quick charge. It charges using TI's charging stuff. Therefore it will never work. Look it up. I'm not gonna bother looking it up again. I was disappointed when I saw that when it was first released.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: shotta35

markdapimp

Nov 8, 2013
The NX5 will NEVER have quick charge. It charges using TI's charging stuff. Therefore it will never work. Look it up. I'm not gonna bother looking it up again. I was disappointed when I saw that when it was first released.

It's Texas instruments latest ic charge controller it has better efficiency for faster charging and has battery monitoring sections that are improved

paradoxiumwind

Jul 23, 2012
Google Nexus 5
Google Pixel 3a
Quick charge is built into the Snapdragon 800 processor. Qualcomm announces it like a feature but no manufacturer uses it, probably because the N5 is only the third phone to come packing the S800. It'll be up to Qualcomm to release a patch (like they said they would) so that we can utilize the quick charge feature.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/20/4...ers-75-percent-faster-charging-snapdragon-800

Interestingly, none of these announcements address the effect on battery capacity long term

sent from my Nexus 7✌

Thanks. I thought it was an option somewhere I had to enable to make it charge faster. so it's just a passive hardware thing?

Sn00ky

May 28, 2013
So you want to say that this is not fast charging? Barely used though, but powered on.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389173209144.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389173209144.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 734

Chad_Petree

Apr 2, 2009
So you want to say that this is not fast charging? Barely used though, but powered on.

Sent from my Nexus 5

It's quicker than the Nexus 4 for example but is nowhere near the LG G2 which does have quick charge and it takes the phone 1:30 hours to charge a 3000 may battery...

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

charging.jpg

I let all the phones run down overnight to 0% using the battery drain app from Play store. I then used the charger and cable that came with each device, here are the results - interesting test.
    N5 - 2,300mah battery, 5.6V / 1.2A charger
    S4 - 2,600mah battery, 5.0V / 2.0A charger
    G2 - 3,000mah battery, 5.0V / 1.8A charger

sent from my Nexus 7✌
    Hi

Regards

Phil

Sounds like it's stuck in "USB" charging mode which is limited to 500mA I believe. Same as if it was plugged into a computer.

Even wireless charging should be enough to sustain the phone with normal usage.

IDK if playing Ingress would be considered "normal usage", because it is a major battery eater. But how can I check if it is in USB charging mode? Is there some way to disable it or to ensure that it is not being limited to 500mA during charging? Also, I've been charging it since I got home with very little usage (about 2 hours), and it has only gone from 49% battery to 73% in that time - very frustrating when I hear other N5 users are able to get a complete charge from an almost dead battery in that time. :(

---------- Post added at 08:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 AM ----------

Guys I just discovered something rather baffling. Through using CurrentWidget, I realized my phone gets more current from the 1A output of my backup charger than it does from the 2A output. I also read something about looking at settings > battery while charging to see the status. On the 1A output it shows "Charging (AC)", and CurrentWidget averages around 500mA. On the 2A output, battery settings shows "Charging (USB)", and currentwidget averages around 200mA. Super lame. Here I thought charging on a higher current output would supply more current to my battery. In fact, the exact opposite is the case. Not sure how that makes any sense, but there it is. Also, I noted significant differences between using the OEM USB cable and a cheap 90° angled micro connector USB cable I bought. The cheap right angle connector cable was much lower current supply than OEM. So there is some truth to using the OEM cable to get optimal current for charging. Also, the OEM AC adapter averages around 800mA, and charges quite a not faster than the 13Ah Anker external battery. Still not sure if using the 1A output with OEM cable will allow me to charge while playing Ingress. I'll find out tomorrow. But for now I'm hopeful.