nighthawk VPN

Search This thread

calc

Jan 21, 2008
i recently upgraded my router to a netgear nighthawk, only to find out openvpn does not work with android. :confused:

I was using a netgear ddwrt before with pptp and it worked just fine... other than flashing ddwrt to my night hawk is there a way to make the openvpn work with stock firmware.??

Reactions: kq10RTBS

gmag11

Sep 10, 2012
Madrid
Xiaomi 12
OpenVPN

Hi,

Open VPN does work in Android but not with stock software. You have to use an app like OpenVPN for Android (search for it on the Google Play). I use it to connect home through Tomato firmware on a Netgear router. Works flawlessly. You have to notice that only TUN mode is working on Android.

Regards,
gmag11

i recently upgraded my router to a netgear nighthawk, only to find out openvpn does not work with android. :confused:

I was using a netgear ddwrt before with pptp and it worked just fine... other than flashing ddwrt to my night hawk is there a way to make the openvpn work with stock firmware.??

calc

Jan 21, 2008
Not sure what you're talking about "stock'"... but openVPN app does NOT work.

The open vpn on the nighthawk is TAP based, android only supports TUN. This is the whole purpose of my post. Perhaps i should have made that more clear. Any nighthawk owners want to chime in?

gmag11

Sep 10, 2012
Madrid
Xiaomi 12
With "stock" I mean default Android VPN service.

It it possible to use TAP on Android but there is some (expert) work to do. It is not easy, at least I've tried several times on my SGSII with CM11 without success. The default on Android (and recommended for remote access) is TUN. With TAP routing is easier but it generates more traffic as it is a layer 2 protocol and all broadcast messages (such as ARP) will flow throug VPN.

Here in XDA you can find some info about configuring TAP. But there is not much threads because it is recommended to use TUN.

I'm using a NetGear WNR3500Lv2 router with TOMATO firmware, what is far better than NetGear firmware. You can try it. Search "Tomato by Shibby" on Google to see if you router is supported.

Regards

Not sure what you're talking about "stock'"... but openVPN app does NOT work.

The open vpn on the nighthawk is TAP based, android only supports TUN. This is the whole purpose of my post. Perhaps i should have made that more clear. Any nighthawk owners want to chime in?

coldsteal

Feb 5, 2007
Is there a WiFi, firewall, vpn, router with tap and tun support that i can purchse.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

I am looking for a one box solution. Need it for a few remote offices.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

kq10RTBS

Mar 26, 2015
working solution, maybe

The comments for this Android app are saying that it works with the nighthawk.
I am a noob to this forum and cannot put in url's, but the name is 'OpenVPN Client'

bhelman

May 18, 2015
Nighthawk VPN on Android

Yes, you can use the OpenVPN client to connect to a Netgear Nighthawk, but you have to use the paid version of the client. The free version does not support TAP. Use the Windows configuration files generated by the Nighthawk and copy them to your Android device. Then import them in to OpenVPN. I had seen somewhere that there is a parameter that should be changed, but without changing anything it mostly worked on my Galaxy S4 running Lollypop.

One thing I did notice is that I seem to be running in some kind of split tunnel mode where traffic for my home network works over the VPN, but anything for the Internet does not go through my home network. I'd like to figure that out so when I'm traveling, I know I'm secure through whatever open network I may be on.

-Brian

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.