[Q] F2FS

Search This thread

abrahammmmmmm_

Oct 19, 2013
Salem
Forgive me if I'm being stupid but I was wondering if the nexus 7 used the new f2fs file system? I recently purchased a new deb version of the nexus 7 coming from the old 2012 variant (which I already forgot the code name of) but I remember the drastic performance improvement it received from the implement of f2fs. I've searched around the forum and found nothing on this which I found pretty strange considering the galaxy nexus, nexus 4, nexus 7 2013, and nexus 5 have already obtained it. So I was thinking that maybe it shipped like that by default? My question is just whether any devs are looking into it or have had it cross their mind. I bring this up because performance isn't bad or anything it's just that I like future proof my stuff I paid for and considering a new 2014 model might come out son I don't want to feel like if I should have waited a few extra months to get that new one. And considering implements such as this can make the moto x (which I have) perform better than most high end devices I'd feel like this would have me on check for quite some time. Thanks!

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
afaik no device outside the moto x/g use it by default, and that's only with the oem moto rom.
The play edition moto g does not use it either.
Definitely no nexii device does nor does the galaxy s's or htc one m7/m8.

There are mods to reformat and use f2fs on devices without it by default though,
I would imagine all you would need is a kernel with it enabled and the right support binaries for your rom.

I believe there is already an existing mod made for the n4/mako, but I do not actually use it so I could be mistaken

abrahammmmmmm_

Oct 19, 2013
Salem
afaik no device outside the moto x/g use it by default, and that's only with the oem moto rom.
The play edition moto g does not use it either.
Definitely no nexii device does nor does the galaxy s's or htc one m7/m8.

There are mods to reformat and use f2fs on devices without it by default though,
I would imagine all you would need is a kernel with it enabled and the right support binaries for your rom.

I believe there is already an existing mod made for the n4/mako, but I do not actually use it so I could be mistaken

Alright thanks for the info! it's really interesting to know that the gpe edition of the moto g doesn't have it either.
What I meant by those nexus devices having it is that devs here from xda have already ported it and claim to make the devices faster than fast. And I really want to get in that action lol
As far as support for that file system goes I believe CM is compatible with it by default without any modification, and I know that on the nexus 5 the elementalx kernel which we have already supports that and I'm guessing it wouldn't be difficult for the developer to support that here as well. So really it comes down to whether anyone takes a shot at actually creating a recovery to reformat the file system that way

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
So really it comes down to whether anyone takes a shot at actually creating a recovery to reformat the file system that way

https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_bootable_recovery/blob/fd6b35cc09b64f21e66dcc8468228defcea75fe4/nandroid.c#L622 said:
Code:
const char *filesystems[] = { "yaffs2", "ext2", "ext3", "ext4", "vfat", "rfs", "f2fs", NULL };

It seems that CWM at least already supports f2fs, in that case it's simply telling it that it should be mounting that specific partition as f2fs.
If f2fs support is enabled by default in CM also, it's then simply a case of having that kernel with it enabled, setting the rom to mount as f2fs, and reformatting the partition to f2fs.

You would need to have a seperate varients of your recovery though since you need to unpack and repack them to tell them to use f2fs
(all this is really similar to enabling ext4 on older devices I did a few years ago)

Reactions: abrahammmmmmm_

abrahammmmmmm_

Oct 19, 2013
Salem
It seems that CWM at least already supports f2fs, in that case it's simply telling it that it should be mounting that specific partition as f2fs.
If f2fs support is enabled by default in CM also, it's then simply a case of having that kernel with it enabled, setting the rom to mount as f2fs, and reformatting the partition to f2fs.

You would need to have a seperate varients of your recovery though since you need to unpack and repack them to tell them to use f2fs
(all this is really similar to enabling ext4 on older devices I did a few years ago)

Interesting, I'd be willing to take a shot at it considering I've still got about ~20 days of best buy in store warranty just in case I'd get it into an irreparable state. But of course I'd need of some help and external knowledge since I don't know where I should get started really. Though before any of that happens the developer for elementalx should add support for f2fs, I really hate asking for things but I'll give it a try

mdamaged

Oct 16, 2013
South of Heaven
Moto G5 Plus
Google Pixel 4a
Interesting, I'd be willing to take a shot at it considering I've still got about ~20 days of best buy in store warranty just in case I'd get it into an irreparable state. But of course I'd need of some help and external knowledge since I don't know where I should get started really.
Though before any of that happens the developer for elementalx should add support for f2fs, I really hate asking for things but I'll give it a try

ElementalX already has f2fs support.

Reactions: abrahammmmmmm_

abrahammmmmmm_

Oct 19, 2013
Salem
Update: things are looking pretty complicated based on how other devices implement it such as the N5 so maybe only an experienced dev would be able to actually get this ball rolling. Aka I can't do it at least not alone. Shame since I fell like that would make our rock solid tablet turn into a diamond

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So really it comes down to whether anyone takes a shot at actually creating a recovery to reformat the file system that way

https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_bootable_recovery/blob/fd6b35cc09b64f21e66dcc8468228defcea75fe4/nandroid.c#L622 said:
    Code:
    const char *filesystems[] = { "yaffs2", "ext2", "ext3", "ext4", "vfat", "rfs", "f2fs", NULL };

Interesting, I'd be willing to take a shot at it considering I've still got about ~20 days of best buy in store warranty just in case I'd get it into an irreparable state. But of course I'd need of some help and external knowledge since I don't know where I should get started really.
    Though before any of that happens the developer for elementalx should add support for f2fs, I really hate asking for things but I'll give it a try

ElementalX already has f2fs support.