[Q] Yet another Nexus 5 dunked in water. Trouble shooting help please.

Search This thread

GMTN

Jul 6, 2012
Little toddler nephew threw it in a pitcher of water. Sister dried it with a blow dryer and she couldn't get it started to so asked me to try so here I am. She tried to turn it on once about a MONTH ago but nothing since. I'm not sure where to start the trouble shooting so any help would be appreciated. I've taken apart a few devices so I'll be doing that shortly as well.

1) I THINK it's charging but there's no charge indicator at all. A red light came on the first time I plugged it in very briefly but it never came back on again. I'm guessing it's not the battery.

2) I've tried all the button combo to try to get it in various modes, no joy here.

3) The phone vibrates when I hold the power button ( or various button combo ) but the screen doesn't come on.

4) Computer ( Win 8) sees the phone as Nexus 5 but when I click on it, it's blank. The properties show me, LGE, Firmware 1.0, and its serial number. Power source: Battery

5) Several times that I've tried the button combos it would play a little jingle. I'm guessing it's a default LG jingle.

Any suggestions on what the problem will be ? I will probably dunk the thing into alcohol once I take it apart. I'm guessing the display would be the obvious guess but it's a bit pricy to buy just to find out that it's not the screen.

Thanks . :D

bushako

Mar 16, 2007
Dubai
Ahh.. Aren't you suppose to NOT turn it on? You shouldve disassembled it first and extracted the battery then clean and dry. I surely hope it hasn't caused any short circuits from all those multiple tries.

Also the Nexus 5 does not produce any boot sounds.
Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

gd6noob

Apr 29, 2011
If you didnt let it dry for at least 24hr min before turning it, then its as good as dead... you maybe be lucky that half the things work but over time, you will find it frustrating not having able to use the full features..

GMTN

Jul 6, 2012
1) hairdryer - big no. Made it worse.
2) turning it on - big no. Made it worse

In short, don't waste any time on this handset

Ahh.. Aren't you suppose to NOT turn it on? You shouldve disassembled it first and extracted the battery then clean and dry. I surely hope it hasn't caused any short circuits from all those multiple tries.

Also the Nexus 5 does not produce any boot sounds.

If you didnt let it dry for at least 24hr min before turning it, then its as good as dead... you maybe be lucky that half the things work but over time, you will find it frustrating not having able to use the full features..

Agreed, but like I said it's not mine. I'm still on a trusty Samsung Galaxy 1.

I'm going to pry it apart just to see.

oOflyeyesOo

May 27, 2010
St louis
It may still be able to be saved. Open the device up, take a soft tooth brush and some rubbing alcohol, scrub the whole board, breaking away any corrosion that started to build up. If there are any black scorch marks on the connections, then take a pencil eraser and use that to help get those off.

noobchef

Feb 24, 2012
I've heard of using rice to help absorb moisture in cases like his. Might not help now but can anyone confirm if this is maybe a good idea for anyone else faced with a similar problem?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app