Fascinate/Vibrant Widgets on Captivate

Search This thread

Sgt_Bilbo

Dec 11, 2006
Keller, TX
Sorry if this has been mentioned before (I did search before posting), but there are a few widgets from the other Galaxy S phones that are rather nice, the weather clock in particular. I know there is a Fascinate dump out there, but can I just extract the apk and install it, or is there something else that I need to do. Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

in_nujerz

Mar 22, 2008
Download the firmware that has those widgets and pull the apks and install them on your firmware of choice

Sellitus

Jan 9, 2009
If anyone does this post it please, if you link a how to ill do it.

Last edited:

Sgt_Bilbo

Dec 11, 2006
Keller, TX
Well, i pulled the APK's out of the ROM, but I'm not able to install them. I'm really new at this, so forgive me for the ignorance. there are ODEX files that accompany the apks...do i have to do something with those on order to install the widgets?

uiskibum

Nov 6, 2007
you'll need to use adb shell once you copy the files to a location on your internal sd card

you'll need to mount system as r/w first so do this, so:

adb shell
su (your device needs to be awake and unlocked so you can verify the SU request)
mount -o remount rw /system
cp /sdcard/xxxx.odex /system/app
cp /sdcard/xxxx.apk /system/app
reboot

the reboot is just for good measure. i've used this technique to get apps onto the phone, but as usual YMMV. If you post up the apk and odex files as a zip i'll give them a shot.

alphadog00

Jun 29, 2010
you'll need to use adb shell once you copy the files to a location on your internal sd card

you'll need to mount system as r/w first so do this, so:

adb shell
su (your device needs to be awake and unlocked so you can verify the SU request)
mount -o remount rw /system
cp /sdcard/xxxx.odex /system/app
cp /sdcard/xxxx.apk /system/app
reboot

the reboot is just for good measure. i've used this technique to get apps onto the phone, but as usual YMMV. If you post up the apk and odex files as a zip i'll give them a shot.

Do you have o remount /system as read only or will the reboot do that?

ewingr

Dec 1, 2007
I had asked about putting the Samsung Touchwiz widgets on if using Launcher Pro. Was told no.

Would this method allow that for them?

Sgt_Bilbo

Dec 11, 2006
Keller, TX
Well, I've uploaded the files to Rapidshare, but thanks to the restrictions on my noob account, I can't link to the files.

rapidshare files 421816817 Samsung_Fascinate_Widgets zip

Sgt_Bilbo

Dec 11, 2006
Keller, TX
OK, major problem.

I copied the ODEX and APK's to the System/App folder and rebooted...now my phone will get stuck at the "Galaxy S" logo page and the display stops working. connecting via USB to the computer allows me to access the system via ADB, but I can't get the display running. What's the command in ADB to remove the files I just copied over?

WickedStyx

Jun 18, 2010
adb shell
su
mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/st19 /system
rm /system/app/[name of widget file].*

OK, major problem.

I copied the ODEX and APK's to the System/App folder and rebooted...now my phone will get stuck at the "Galaxy S" logo page and the display stops working. connecting via USB to the computer allows me to access the system via ADB, but I can't get the display running. What's the command in ADB to remove the files I just copied over?

Sgt_Bilbo

Dec 11, 2006
Keller, TX
Thanks for that info. Phone is back to normal. Now, back to the topic at hand. Anyone had success at getting these widgets working on the Captivate?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App