[ROOT][10-29-13]How to Manually Root the Nvidia Shield

Search This thread

shimp208

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 25, 2011
Boston
Introduction

The following procedure will walk you through the step-by-step process for gaining root access on the Nvidia Shield.

Note: You must have an unlocked bootloader before you can proceed with this tutorial!
A tutorial on how to unlock your Shield's bootloader can be found here.

This tutorial also assumes how have the correct ADB and Fastboot drivers installed for your device, for a tutorial on how to install the ADB and Fastboot drivers for the Shield please look here.

Due to the nature of modifying devices system files the standard XDA disclaimer applies: I take no responsibility for bricked devices due to the following rooting procedure, no warranty express or implied is given, I will not be held responsible if you mess up your device by following this procedure!

Procedure

Before you begin please make sure to read and re-read the whole procedure, making sure you understand the directions.

1. Download the "Superuser-su.zip" file and the "roth-insecure-boot-63.img" file that are attached to this post. After you have downloaded the files, extract the contents of the "Superuser-su.zip" file which contains Superuser.apk and the su binary, and move them to your ADB and Fastboot folder on your computer. Also transfer the "roth-insecure-boot-63.img" to your computer's ADB and Fastboot folder.

MD5 Checksum for "roth-insecure-boot-63.img": F8BA5C48D0323D99E2A748C77BF647F6

2. Connect your Shield to your computer using your USB cable. For maximum reliability please connect the USB cable to a USB 2.0 port directly connected to the motherboard as USB ports on the front of a case panel or USB 3.0 ports can sometimes be unreliable.

3. Now that your Shield is connected to your computer make sure that "USB debugging" is enabled under the Developer Options section in the system settings menu (If the Developer Options section is hidden, go to the About Phone/About Tablet section of the system settings and then tap on the item that lists the Build number 7 times or until it says "You are now a developer" and the Developer Options section becomes visible in the system settings).

4. Open a command prompt window (cmd) in your ADB and Fastboot folder on your computer and issue the following commands (If you are new to using ADB and Fastboot I would recommend checking out this excellent guide to get you up and running):

Code:
adb reboot bootloader

Now that you are in fastboot mode let's make sure that the computer see's our device:

Code:
fastboot devices

If the computer see's our device then we can proceed, if it doesn't see your device make sure you are in fastboot mode and have the correct ADB and Fastboot drivers installed for the Shield.

Now we will be booting an insecure boot.img (ro.secure = 0) to our device to allow us to gain root acess:

Code:
fastboot boot roth-insecure-boot-63.img

After the insecure boot.img finishes flashing the device will automatically boot up using the insecure boot.img.

5.First we need to mount the /system partition as read/write so we can modify it:

Code:
adb shell
mount -o rw,remount -t ext4 /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/APP /system
exit

6. Now we need to run the following commands to push the Superuser.apk and su binary to there correct positions and set the proper file permissions:

Code:
adb push su /system/xbin
adb push Superuser.apk /system/app
adb shell
chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su
chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk
mount -o ro,remount -t ext4 /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/APP /system
sync
reboot

7. After the device reboots and power on into the Android Operating System you should see Koush's Superuser app in your app-drawer and you should be rooted. If you would like to verify root access you can download and run Root Checker Basic from the Play Store here. Enjoy!

Credits: Koush for his open source Superuser.apk and the su binary (https://github.com/koush/Superuser)

If users would like me to create a 1-click root process of this please let me know and I will do so :).

If you are stuck with the rooting procedures I would recommend checking out this great video tutorial by wwjoshdew.

Attachments

• Superuser-su.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,626
  • roth-insecure-boot-63.img
    5.9 MB · Views: 1,696
Last edited:

wwjoshdew

Dec 30, 2008
Seattle
tinyurl.com

blinkdragonid

Apr 12, 2010
It's just whole unlocking thing and giving up your devices warranty. NVIIDA being able to decline your RMA if your fan goes out and the unit overheats. Or if the scree dies (for example). I'll do it, just gotta grow a pair first.

I did my RMA and nvidia sent me a new 1. So you should get your new shield b4 you send it back if you happen to root it and the screen dies.

dark42

Aug 5, 2010
This is a pretty complicated way of rooting. All I did was unlock the bootloader, flashed Clockworkmod Recovery, and then flashed the SuperSu zip with that. Rooted! As easy as a Nexus. :D

Last edited:

shimp208

Jan 25, 2011
Boston
This is a pretty complicated way of rooting. All I did was unlock the bootloader, flashed Clockworkmod Recovery, and then flashed the SuperSu zip with that. Rooted! As easy as a Nexus. :D

I hear yeah, this procedure is meant for those that really want to understand how the basic rooting process works and who want to gain experience manually performing these types of procedures :).

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

agrabren

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 28, 2011
Weld County, CO
I hear yeah, this procedure is meant for those that really want to understand how the basic rooting process works and who want to gain experience manually performing these types of procedures :).

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

This method is actually nearly the same. It's a bootable self-contained image (like recovery is) that mounts the correct partitions, installs the necessary bits, and is done. :)

i00

May 7, 2008
Brisbane
I haven't done this yet ... but could you also provide instructions on how to revert? I ask this as it would be nice to know that there is a back-out plan.

Kris

shimp208

Jan 25, 2011
Boston
I haven't done this yet ... but could you also provide instructions on how to revert? I ask this as it would be nice to know that there is a back-out plan.

Kris

To unroot your Shield since you are only temporarily booting an insecure boot image rather then flashing it, if you run the following commands in either ADB shell or terminal emulator will unroot your device:

Code:
$ su
# mount -o rw,remount -t ext4 /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/APP /system
# rm -f /system/app/Superuser.apk
# rm -f /system/xbin/su
# mount -o ro,remount -t ext4 /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/APP /system

Then after you have entered those commands reboot your device and you'll be unrooted.

i00

May 7, 2008
Brisbane
To unroot your Shield since you are only temporarily booting an insecure boot image rather then flashing it, if you run the following commands in either ADB shell or terminal emulator will unroot your device:

Code:
$ su
# mount -o rw,remount -t ext4 /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/APP /system
# rm -f /system/app/Superuser.apk
# rm -f /system/xbin/su
# mount -o ro,remount -t ext4 /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/APP /system

Then after you have entered those commands reboot your device and you'll be unrooted.

OK ... well lets say after rooting we install an app that uses root access to stuff up your device ... how do you restore the original image?

Kris

shimp208

Jan 25, 2011
Boston

Evo_Shift

Jan 17, 2011
Simply rooting does not. I was rooted and updated. You lose root but can just reroot it like the first time. I am not sure if you have a custom recovery installed though. I haven't used one on the shield.

Reactions: xtrememorph

wrc1010

Jul 27, 2012
I am using the window 8 and I can't get the command prompt to work either directly open or open it as administrator to type the command. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Shimp208. Can you create a video on how to unlock and root the shield?

Sent from my SHIELD using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

shimp208

Jan 25, 2011
Boston
I am using the window 8 and I can't get the command prompt to work either directly open or open it as administrator to type the command. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Shimp208. Can you create a video on how to unlock and root the shield?

Sent from my SHIELD using Tapatalk 2

When you mean you can't get the command prompt to directly open what do you mean by that? Does command prompt not open or run at all when you open it? Do you have ADB and Fastboot installed and the files listed for this procedure in your ADB and Fastboot directory? The Shield I rooted was my friends and he's on vacation right now so I unfortunately can't make a video right now :(, but I'll still be happy to try and help you through the procedure.

gogul1

Aug 20, 2013
oh god

Finally success root my shield :eek:

I want that feeling soooo bad. The drivers aren't installing on my computer correctly. I can boot my shield via command but when I enter adb devices nothing shows up even though in device manager the device shows up as Nvidia Shield ADB.

Sad times, its tough as its so new everyone is still trying to figure it out and if the drivers don't install first time there aren't any problem solving threads etc

shimp208

Jan 25, 2011
Boston
I want that feeling soooo bad. The drivers aren't installing on my computer correctly. I can boot my shield via command but when I enter adb devices nothing shows up even though in device manager the device shows up as Nvidia Shield ADB.

Sad times, its tough as its so new everyone is still trying to figure it out and if the drivers don't install first time there aren't any problem solving threads etc

What drivers are you trying to install and which version of Windows are you running?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introduction

The following procedure will walk you through the step-by-step process for gaining root access on the Nvidia Shield.

Note: You must have an unlocked bootloader before you can proceed with this tutorial!
    A tutorial on how to unlock your Shield's bootloader can be found here.

This tutorial also assumes how have the correct ADB and Fastboot drivers installed for your device, for a tutorial on how to install the ADB and Fastboot drivers for the Shield please look here.

Due to the nature of modifying devices system files the standard XDA disclaimer applies: I take no responsibility for bricked devices due to the following rooting procedure, no warranty express or implied is given, I will not be held responsible if you mess up your device by following this procedure!

Procedure

Before you begin please make sure to read and re-read the whole procedure, making sure you understand the directions.

1. Download the "Superuser-su.zip" file and the "roth-insecure-boot-63.img" file that are attached to this post. After you have downloaded the files, extract the contents of the "Superuser-su.zip" file which contains Superuser.apk and the su binary, and move them to your ADB and Fastboot folder on your computer. Also transfer the "roth-insecure-boot-63.img" to your computer's ADB and Fastboot folder.

MD5 Checksum for "roth-insecure-boot-63.img": F8BA5C48D0323D99E2A748C77BF647F6

2. Connect your Shield to your computer using your USB cable. For maximum reliability please connect the USB cable to a USB 2.0 port directly connected to the motherboard as USB ports on the front of a case panel or USB 3.0 ports can sometimes be unreliable.

3. Now that your Shield is connected to your computer make sure that "USB debugging" is enabled under the Developer Options section in the system settings menu (If the Developer Options section is hidden, go to the About Phone/About Tablet section of the system settings and then tap on the item that lists the Build number 7 times or until it says "You are now a developer" and the Developer Options section becomes visible in the system settings).

4. Open a command prompt window (cmd) in your ADB and Fastboot folder on your computer and issue the following commands (If you are new to using ADB and Fastboot I would recommend checking out this excellent guide to get you up and running):

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

Now that you are in fastboot mode let's make sure that the computer see's our device:

Code:
    fastboot devices

If the computer see's our device then we can proceed, if it doesn't see your device make sure you are in fastboot mode and have the correct ADB and Fastboot drivers installed for the Shield.

Now we will be booting an insecure boot.img (ro.secure = 0) to our device to allow us to gain root acess:

Code:
    fastboot boot roth-insecure-boot-63.img

After the insecure boot.img finishes flashing the device will automatically boot up using the insecure boot.img.

5.First we need to mount the /system partition as read/write so we can modify it:

Code:
    adb shell
    mount -o rw,remount -t ext4 /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/APP /system
    exit

6. Now we need to run the following commands to push the Superuser.apk and su binary to there correct positions and set the proper file permissions:

Code:
    adb push su /system/xbin
    adb push Superuser.apk /system/app
    adb shell
    chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su
    chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk
    mount -o ro,remount -t ext4 /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/APP /system
    sync
    reboot

7. After the device reboots and power on into the Android Operating System you should see Koush's Superuser app in your app-drawer and you should be rooted. If you would like to verify root access you can download and run Root Checker Basic from the Play Store here. Enjoy!

Credits: Koush for his open source Superuser.apk and the su binary (https://github.com/koush/Superuser)

If users would like me to create a 1-click root process of this please let me know and I will do so :).

If you are stuck with the rooting procedures I would recommend checking out this great video tutorial by wwjoshdew.

Simply rooting does not. I was rooted and updated. You lose root but can just reroot it like the first time. I am not sure if you have a custom recovery installed though. I haven't used one on the shield.
    @gogul1

The Original Post has been updated to include a new insecure boot.img. This new boot.img includes a patched adbd binary that should now allow root shell access when the insecure boot.img is booted through fastboot.
    @gogul1

The Original Post has been updated to include a new insecure boot.img. This new boot.img includes a patched adbd binary that should now allow root shell access when the insecure boot.img is booted through fastboot.

It WORKED!

WOO HOO!

Thanks to all you guys who helped, really appreciate it what a great and patient bunch of people you are!
    Thank you Thank you Thank you!
    I rooted mine with that. But now with the new OTA I can reroot. I need help!!

The manual method I posted in this thread should still work with the latest OTA update if you follow the procedure in the OTA :good:.