Moto X "SIM from unknown source"

Search This thread
Mar 3, 2014
XDA, I've been searching the depths of the interwebz for the past few days trying to find a solution to my problem. The problem being;

My VZW Moto X spits out a "This SIM is from an unknown source" error, followed by "Restricted Access Changed" scrolling across my notification bar when inserting my MetroPCS SIM. I've tried manually selecting the network, and it refuses to connect. I've also tried entering my APN setting manually, but to no avail. So, you guys have any ideas?

I'd post a screenshot in-line, but XDA is being a pain because of my low post count, so check the attachments.

Attachments

• 1784f767a312d8bb8cf56b813d501068.png
    1784f767a312d8bb8cf56b813d501068.png
    50.6 KB · Views: 83

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
XDA, I've been searching the depths of the interwebz for the past few days trying to find a solution to my problem. The problem being;

My VZW Moto X spits out a "This SIM is from an unknown source" error, followed by "Restricted Access Changed" scrolling across my notification bar when inserting my MetroPCS SIM. I've tried manually selecting the network, and it refuses to connect. I've also tried entering my APN setting manually, but to no avail. So, you guys have any ideas?

I'd post a screenshot in-line, but XDA is being a pain because of my low post count, so check the attachments.

This is slightly unrelated, but I notice your Caller Name ID has expired....

Might I suggest you check out the "Current Caller ID" app. It is published by WhitePages, has similar functionality, and is free.

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
SIM is from an unknown source when using a non-VZW sim has started happening since flashing 4.4 on my X. It happens on my Galaxy S4 too. I haven't tried on my GS5.

I no of know way around it.

For Metro PCS, at one time they were a CDMA carrier like Verizon. Do they use CDMA in your area still, or are they now GSM only? If they use GSM only, your APN settings must be EXACTLY correct for them to work. If they still use CDMA, then there are some underlying CDMA/EVDO settings on your phone that will likely need to be changed. I know I saw some threads about using QPST and other tools to make edits for other CDMA carriers, but I've not seen it for MPCS.