[Q] General thoughts, experience and concerns on Froyo 2.2.2

Search This thread

minirome

May 4, 2011
Dallas-Fort Worth
To start this off, I want to say that this is an awesome community full of great people willing to help others. It takes this sort of open source sharing to come together for the greater good. That is why I want to make a thread to document my experiences so that it may help others and myself.

As of yesterday, I started using froyo 2.2.2 by joshkoss. This update is probably the best of all of them and I like it much better than 2.2.1, which is what I previously had installed. Having said that, there are still some problems, which I almost find enjoyable to discover how to fix.

Throughout most of my updates, my GPS has been slow to connect. Finally on 2.2.2 it is impossible to establish a connection and everytime I turn on GPS it always asks me to 'Accept' or 'Cancel' the agreement. I've never had this happen before. Anyone know what to do about that?

Beyond this issue, I wanted to try this fix by ciscogee. I have gotten all the way to the point on ADB tools that in my cmd prompt I can type 'adb devices' to show me my devices serial number. For me, it ends there. As soon as I can figure out how to do this fix step by step for a beginner I will type it out in this thread. I am using Android SDK.

Another problem with this 2.2.2 update is that my banking app no longer works and it force closes right after start up. Then when I try to send a report, that also force closes. It worked on 2.2.1 so Im sure it has something to do with it.

So as of right now this is where I'm at. I hope I can help some people out with their Continuum. I just dont have the detailed knowledge of the inner workings to really bring something to the table, but I hope to at least help someone else out and learn something in the process.

rowdyw

Oct 10, 2011
Texas
My Wells Fargo app quit working when I switched over to EC07 and I haven't been able to pinpoint what the problem is. I posted my problems in another thread, but basically I had several apps that were FCing when I tried to use them. I did logcat on them, and based on the errors I got from there, I think is has something to do with the apps trying to access data either over 3G or wifi.

Never got any further than that though.

minirome

May 4, 2011
Dallas-Fort Worth
That's weird. Did you have problems reporting the failure? Ill have to try out that log app and see what I can find out. Hopefully ill have something later today.

Anyone else have problems with a banking app? Mine is comerica bank.

Sent from my SCH-I400 using XDA App

rowdyw

Oct 10, 2011
Texas
I tried the hacked browser and it didn't change anything on my phone. Both the stock browser and TB's hacked one FC as soon I tried load a page.

One thing I did notice though, was that the browser would let me surf the web just fine. It was when I tried to log into any account; Wells Fargo, Google, etc.,that it would FC. Don't know if that means anything or not. Wonder if it is the same reason some banking apps aren't working. Could it have something to do with using secure connections?

Just a thought.

minirome

May 4, 2011
Dallas-Fort Worth
I tried the hacked browser and it didn't change anything on my phone. Both the stock browser and TB's hacked one FC as soon I tried load a page.

One thing I did notice though, was that the browser would let me surf the web just fine. It was when I tried to log into any account; Wells Fargo, Google, etc.,that it would FC. Don't know if that means anything or not. Wonder if it is the same reason some banking apps aren't working. Could it have something to do with using secure connections?

Just a thought.

I get what you're saying about the force close on secure connections. Ive only had a force close on one bank app. Never online through the web browser such as dolphin.

Was the hacked browser an internet browser?

bdotdotts

Apr 4, 2011
Yep, my Wells Fargo app doesn't work either.

Same fc issue... as with the Flixter and imapmyrun apps.

(Small vibrate... pause... blackscreen & 3 pulse vibrate fc.)

I'm running Miunia Beta 3 on ec07 radio with the Ciscogee .85 blue theme.

minirome

May 4, 2011
Dallas-Fort Worth
Ahh just found another one with the buzzing act. The app called zillow. Makes me wonder if I should go back to my old rom...nahh ill stick out for an update...come on joshkoss!

rowdyw

Oct 10, 2011
Texas
Ok, after reading some old posts, I think I may have found a connection with the FC issues and certain apps. It seems that there were alot less FC problems when using the EC03 baseband vs. the EC06 baseband.

Does anyone know what the differences are between the two?

I've said it before, but; I don't know much about programming, language, kernals, etc. but I can see patterns. And what I have seen is that most of the apps with FC problems are trying to access network data, and alot of those seem to be secure connections (such as banking apps). Someone said before that it is hard to know what the real problem is because everyone uses different apps, but I have seen the same apps listed as causing problems with several different users here over and over again. So that makes me think that there is an underlying problem causing these issues.

Like I said, I don't know much, but this seems like the problem to me, and if these clues make something, somewhere, inside someone's brain click that actually does know something about this, then maybe I helped a little bit. :)

Txwolf1980

Aug 13, 2011
Huntsville Tx
Ok, after reading some old posts, I think I may have found a connection with the FC issues and certain apps. It seems that there were alot less FC problems when using the EC03 baseband vs. the EC06 baseband.

Does anyone know what the differences are between the two?

I've said it before, but; I don't know much about programming, language, kernals, etc. but I can see patterns. And what I have seen is that most of the apps with FC problems are trying to access network data, and alot of those seem to be secure connections (such as banking apps). Someone said before that it is hard to know what the real problem is because everyone uses different apps, but I have seen the same apps listed as causing problems with several different users here over and over again. So that makes me think that there is an underlying problem causing these issues.

Like I said, I don't know much, but this seems like the problem to me, and if these clues make something, somewhere, inside someone's brain click that actually does know something about this, then maybe I helped a little bit. :)

If that's the case, it sounds like a problem with ssl. I wonder if a fascinate baseband would fix it. Trailblazer proved that a fascinate baseband would work on our phones a few months ago

Release your inhibitions, feel the rain on your skin, no one else can feel it for you. only you can let it in - Natasha Bedingfield

Top Liked Posts