[Q] Stock LTE vs Custom Rom None (Sprint)

Search This thread

mackdaddy57

Jul 28, 2012
This may help for LTE reception

When I started Sprint service on my N5, I was on Carbon Rom. In order to get LTE fully functioning, I needed to replace my MDN and MSID and reset network settings.

To reset MDN and MSID, download Hidden Menus off of the play store. Access the menu option that I believe is done through the dialer as *#*#675#*#*. This will allow you to input your MDN and MSID correctly because mine would not pick up automatically from HFA. After that, reset network settings using ##72786#. That have gotten me full LTE capabilities on every rom I put on my N5.

If you have already done this before, then sorry for the wasted time. If you haven't and it works, I would like to know so I can advise other people the same.

Reactions: Kenjari
Mackdaddy thanks for the suggestions. Is this reversible? I tried the sprint zip rimgarciag posted on page 1. That seems to be working well. However, if I can increase my LTE I will try this. What type of bars are you getting and what city are you in?

Alpha I tried the APN backup and restore method and I lost all data. My phone went bork. Let me know if you've had any success with the APN back up process.

Thanks again mackdaddy. I think will try that.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

alpha2zulu00

Nov 16, 2013
I fixed it

I can't say whether or not @mackdaddy57's suggestion helped, but I did reset my network settings anyways (##72786#) because I think the key to making things work is starting with a "clean slate". Anyways, I've gone from having low speed 3G data and an intermittent connection to having very high speed LTE with support for (fast) MMS, and it does not seem to be dropping at all. Here's how I did it. My Preferred Network Type was set to "Global" from the beginning and thus through the duration of this.

You'll want to download my attachment and rename it to apns-conf.xml. I got it from here and it works great for this process without modifying it at all.

Now take that file and inject it into /system/etc of a pure stock ROM. I used this one: link (KOT49H Deodexed) then put this modified ROM on your /sdcard

Follow mackdaddy57's instructions above. I actually skipped the setting of my MDN and MSID because I've never really had a problem with HFA and I was too scared to. I used Hidden Menus and executed the option labelled ##72786#. I then rebooted my phone and my signal was kaputz. I think it's important to be already running a custom ROM that you know doesn't have working data for this part. Maybe it's not.

Now reboot into recovery and flash the Stock ROM with the modified apns-conf.xml. Start up your phone, choose your language and now wait for it to activate. If you're in an LTE area you should see the letters over your signal bars within a minute. Just do not press Skip.

Bypass the Google stuff. If I'm correct with my assumptions, at this point your phone is still kinda configuring itself. You should try to send an MMS as quickly as possible during this time. For me, an MMS failed the first time after 5 minutes, failed the second time after one minute, and was successfuly sent and received the third time after another minute. Every MMS after this didn't take long at all to send. If this sounds weird it's because it is.

I would suggest just giving your phone some time to "figure itself out" now. If your data seems solid, all that's left to do is flash any custom ROM you want, but be sure to use the modified apns-conf.xml from first boot. This means either injecting it into the ROM zip or flashing it after flashing the ROM. I made a backup with APN Backup & Restore and I'm leaving it on my /sdcard just in case I happen to muck that up someday but I don't know if that alone will work.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Attachments

• apns-conf.txt
    5.4 KB · Views: 16

KiNG OMaR

Sep 20, 2010
Chicago
Stock might not be that great on it's own for customization but add xposed framework and gravity box and it's like a custom Rom built on stock :)

Sent from my manta

To be honest, it kind of defeats the purpose of having stock if you hack it back to hell with xposed mods. What's the point of having a stock/xposed nexus if you can't even accept OTAs :(

lol, sorry I can't help answer the OP's question. Maybe you could give another rom a try? Seems like an APN issue to me, though. But what do I know, I'm on T-Mobile!

I can't say whether or not @mackdaddy57's suggestion helped, but I did reset my network settings anyways (##72786#) because I think the key to making things work is starting with a "clean slate". Anyways, I've gone from having low speed 3G data and an intermittent connection to having very high speed LTE with support for (fast) MMS, and it does not seem to be dropping at all. Here's how I did it. My Preferred Network Type was set to "Global" from the beginning and thus through the duration of this.

You'll want to download my attachment and rename it to apns-conf.xml. I got it from here and it works great for this process without modifying it at all.

Now take that file and inject it into /system/etc of a pure stock ROM. I used this one: link (KOT49H Deodexed) then put this modified ROM on your /sdcard

Follow mackdaddy57's instructions above. I actually skipped the setting of my MDN and MSID because I've never really had a problem with HFA and I was too scared to. I used Hidden Menus and executed the option labelled ##72786#. I then rebooted my phone and my signal was kaputz. I think it's important to be already running a custom ROM that you know doesn't have working data for this part. Maybe it's not.

Now reboot into recovery and flash the Stock ROM with the modified apns-conf.xml. Start up your phone, choose your language and now wait for it to activate. If you're in an LTE area you should see the letters over your signal bars within a minute. Just do not press Skip.

Bypass the Google stuff. If I'm correct with my assumptions, at this point your phone is still kinda configuring itself. You should try to send an MMS as quickly as possible during this time. For me, an MMS failed the first time after 5 minutes, failed the second time after one minute, and was successfuly sent and received the third time after another minute. Every MMS after this didn't take long at all to send. If this sounds weird it's because it is.

I would suggest just giving your phone some time to "figure itself out" now. If your data seems solid, all that's left to do is flash any custom ROM you want, but be sure to use the modified apns-conf.xml from first boot. This means either injecting it into the ROM zip or flashing it after flashing the ROM. I made a backup with APN Backup & Restore and I'm leaving it on my /sdcard just in case I happen to muck that up someday but I don't know if that alone will work.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Wow. I have to sit back and study this one. How many bars LTE are you getting now? I think I follow. The settings were able to stick even after a clean flash of a custom Rom?

More than likely I'll inbox you when I start this. This might be a weekend project. Seems very detailed and I don't want to make any errors.

Awesome job buddy!

alpha2zulu00

Nov 16, 2013
Wow. I have to sit back and study this one. How many bars LTE are you getting now? I think I follow. The settings were able to stick even after a clean flash of a custom Rom?

More than likely I'll inbox you when I start this. This might be a weekend project. Seems very detailed and I don't want to make any errors.
Awesome job buddy!

I'm seeing a full spectrum of signal bars, from zero in my neighborhood and former dead spots (but still surprisingly usable!) to "full" signal at the mall, outside the office, etc. I haven't experienced a signal drop once since going through my rigorous fix. And I've tested with two ROMs so far, PAC and N5 Experience.

Feel free to message me and sorry about the length, I've done plenty of technical writing in my time and learned it helps to be thorough haha.

So your getting full bars even in the once deadspots?

I ask because my neighborhood is considered once a signal desert but recently a few towers were upgraded. But the N5 picks up little LTE on stock. I'm wondering after I do your method will increase the bars. Excited to try. Will inbox when I get started.

alpha2zulu00

Nov 16, 2013

I ask because my neighborhood is considered once a signal desert but recently a few towers were upgraded. But the N5 picks up little LTE on stock. I'm wondering after I do your method will increase the bars. Excited to try. Will inbox when I get started.

Not full, 1 or none. But I can still browse fairly well and it does not drop out. Screenshot attached is a few tests in former dead spots. Last result is with eHRPD. I'm making this post, attachment and all, with 1 bar at my desk at work. I used to receive SMS's late from the same spot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-04-25-10-12-30.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-04-25-10-12-30.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 32

MrObvious

Mar 1, 2008
Wichita KS
Another thing that might help is enabling band 26. It's a lower spectrum band so it runs a lot better in terms of building penetration (same reason why someone who has woofers and plays rap you can hear their bass but not the song in the car next to you). Just do *#*#3282#*#*, go to LTE, edit, enter your MSL, and enable the bands and change band priority from band 25 0, band 41 0 (unless you're in a spark area then leave 1), band 26 1, then hit the back key and let the phone power down and reboot it.

Also, if you don't have your MSL, download a terminal app from the Google Play Store, type logcat (similar to adb logcat without the whole adb part), load your dialer and type *#*#3282#*#*, then go to the screen where you need to enter your MSL, then in the logcat output it should pop up your MSL code.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Possibly try using this---> http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51308741&postcount=276
    Try backing up your APN settings from Sprint stock, flash your rom, flash the zip again, and restore settings.

When I was trying out MIUI, I had to do this for Sprint to get LTE working, so it might be worth a shot?
    Try flashing another modem

sent from my Hammerhead Nexus
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2514095

[MODEM] [EFS] Nexus 5 Flashable Modems and EFS Backup

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 PM ----------

Use the krt16m modem that ends with .17

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:52 PM ----------

Seems to work best with Sprint imo

You're probably on 4.4.2, which by default gets the .23 radio. The .23 radio isn't very good for LTE reception in my experience on Sprint but the .15 or .17 do way better at picking up signal and keeping it. I get at least 10 higher dBm on the .15.

Not full, 1 or none. But I can still browse fairly well and it does not drop out. Screenshot attached is a few tests in former dead spots. Last result is with eHRPD. I'm making this post, attachment and all, with 1 bar at my desk at work. I used to receive SMS's late from the same spot.